follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2021, 05:45 AM   #99
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Crazy ugly, auto is a CVT. Big nevermind LOL.

While a WRX can't be defined by its looks in my books, I will note there is a tangible difference in scott speeds energy levels relative to the BRZ drivealongs.

I mean he would of driven so many of these things across the years in comparison, so its probably less exciting for him.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #100
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I understand this is a non-start conversation, but...

If there was a:

1. BRZ with WRX HP turbo engine (the BRZ is the generational replacement to the WRX)
2. Crosstrek STi (a powerful hatchback that has off-road ability in-line with the current Subaru marketing)

I don't think there is a purpose for the WRX/WRX STi anymore. It is a dead branch of Subaru that no longer meshes with what Subaru builds. In the US, Subaru feels like an AWD Nissan company to me. Just the same CVT people movers that don't really have a special purpose and they are waiting for electrification for their next big investment in engineering.

The strange thing is this is an `all new` WRX, but on the global platform, which was the original point of not having the WRX/STI on the global platform.

To me, it just doesn't make sense not have a real purpose. I would be sad to lose the 6MT/DCCD/Rear mLSD, but beyond that.. meh.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #101
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Crazy ugly, auto is a CVT. Big nevermind LOL.

Black is better on the WRX to "hide" the plastic fenders. Power output is a disappointment on the 2.4t engine. Almost same output with the older 2.0t engine? I hope the new STI to be a much better model.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:04 AM   #102
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
I understand this is a non-start conversation, but...

If there was a:

1. BRZ with WRX HP turbo engine (the BRZ is the generational replacement to the WRX)
2. Crosstrek STi (a powerful hatchback that has off-road ability in-line with the current Subaru marketing)

I don't think there is a purpose for the WRX/WRX STi anymore. It is a dead branch of Subaru that no longer meshes with what Subaru builds. In the US, Subaru feels like an AWD Nissan company to me. Just the same CVT people movers that don't really have a special purpose and they are waiting for electrification for their next big investment in engineering.

The strange thing is this is an `all new` WRX, but on the global platform, which was the original point of not having the WRX/STI on the global platform.

To me, it just doesn't make sense not have a real purpose. I would be sad to lose the 6MT/DCCD/Rear mLSD, but beyond that.. meh.
Rally cars for the most part were known as hopped up commuter cars, so having it ride on a global platform isn’t really weird.

Subaru pretty much covers everything off road/adventure related besides maybe having a truck. With that being said, their halo car being a rally inspired vehicle fits that image pretty well, even more so then a turbo BRZ or a Crosstrek STi. Lol.
Jeonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeonsa For This Useful Post:
dowroa (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #103
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeonsa View Post
Rally cars for the most part were known as hopped up commuter cars, so having it ride on a global platform isn’t really weird.

Subaru pretty much covers everything off road/adventure related besides maybe having a truck. With that being said, their halo car being a rally inspired vehicle fits that image pretty well, even more so then a turbo BRZ or a Crosstrek STi. Lol.
The weird part was the initial marketing that WRX/STI was going to be on its own platform. Now, it's not. That is a change in decision making. Attempting to portray a brand image that is no longer valid (they haven't had a WRC chassis in about 13 years at this point) is really disingenuous.

If Subaru wants to have a brand image of Wilderness and bring off-road/adventure while not actually building any vehicles that are specialized for this task -- that is a weird image. Subaru is attempting to engineer around bad engineering decisions that don't mesh with off-road/adventure (CVT).

A Crosstrek STi with the only mechanical vestige of their original rally program in production cars (STi 6-Speed + DCCD + mLSD or go back to a low-range box) with a hatch is something that is genuine to what their enthusiasts want. Why not lean into that with the current Wilderness marketing push?

A higher and full performance STi BRZ (not tS) is definitely more in-line with reality of this current Subaru brand. It is the car that has taken the crown from the Impreza WRX/STi (these are no longer World Rally eXperimental cars) in pure tarmac purpose. The king is dead. Long live the king.

So, to the topic, I am cross-shopping all Subarus. The BRZ is the only real performance option Subaru has left. The 2022 WRX looks more akin to a Legacy Turbo than it does a WRX. The WRX is a mixed message. Highest trim is only a CVT (for emissions)? Body cladding... without any ground clearance?

Subaru use to be about specialty vehicles. I would like to see a Subaru specialty Tarmac or off-road car.

I would like function over "image".

Then again, I did lead with "I understand this is a non-start conversation.."

L.o.L.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #104
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The weird part was the initial marketing that WRX/STI was going to be on its own platform. Now, it's not. That is a change in decision making. Attempting to portray a brand image that is no longer valid (they haven't had a WRC chassis in about 13 years at this point) is really disingenuous.

If Subaru wants to have a brand image of Wilderness and bring off-road/adventure while not actually building any vehicles that are specialized for this task -- that is a weird image. Subaru is attempting to engineer around bad engineering decisions that don't mesh with off-road/adventure (CVT).

A Crosstrek STi with the only mechanical vestige of their original rally program in production cars (STi 6-Speed + DCCD + mLSD or go back to a low-range box) with a hatch is something that is genuine to what their enthusiasts want. Why not lean into that with the current Wilderness marketing push?

A higher and full performance STi BRZ (not tS) is definitely more in-line with reality of this current Subaru brand. It is the car that has taken the crown from the Impreza WRX/STi (these are no longer World Rally eXperimental cars) in pure tarmac purpose. The king is dead. Long live the king.

So, to the topic, I am cross-shopping all Subarus. The BRZ is the only real performance option Subaru has left. The 2022 WRX looks more akin to a Legacy Turbo than it does a WRX. The WRX is a mixed message. Highest trim is only a CVT (for emissions)? Body cladding... without any ground clearance?

Subaru use to be about specialty vehicles. I would like to see a Subaru specialty Tarmac or off-road car.

L.o.L.
What are you doing offroad that you can't do in a Subaru?

Here is a Crown Vic in Moab.

OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
dowroa (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #105
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What are you doing offroad that you can't do in a Subaru?

Here is a Crown Vic in Moab.

hmm... try that with a CVT with open diffs... but maybe a more loose surface with split grip

Edit: Can't do? Sure, you can use the wrong tool for anything and make it work.

Could do better with a 20 year old Subaru better than the current crop? That is the problem (and what I am using for my use-cases).

Very specific so you can pick it apart? Sure! Show me a current Subaru that can beat a 98-01 RS in rallyX. It isn't the current 2022 WRX.

Last edited by dowroa; 09-21-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #106
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

L.o.L.
I think you're confusing press rumors with marketing. Subaru never stated the WRX would be on its own platform that I can remember.

I also somewhat disagree with pretty much everything else you said. Subarus get used a lot by outdoorsy people. There's definitely a difference between "built for rock crawling in Moab" and "can get down the wet, rutted road to the mountain bike trail head". CVT is plenty good enough for what 99% of people will use a Subaru offroad for. And if you're buying a vehicle for serious rock crawling, I agree the CVT probably isn't the best choice, but I don't remember seeing Subaru advertising the Wilderness edition slaying slabs in Moab either.

As for performance options, it's hard to agree that the WRX isn't a performance option when there's literally no press reviews on its speed. Larger torque curve can make a big difference in how the new car drives. I feel like we've recently discussed upcoming cars from Subaru being a little faster than the 205 to 228hp jump would have indicated

And sure they don't compete in WRC, but they still use the cars in ARA and Rallycross. New WRX reportedly DOES have higher ground clearance than the outgoing car. If you think they've lost their offroad prowess, go spend a few days at Dirtfish. Highly recommend that experience!

Just my humble opinions.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
dowroa (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #107
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Subaru knows their customer base very, VERY well and the people on this forum are an infinitesimally small (albeit loud) slice of it. That’s why nobody here is going to option a freakin’ dog harness with their BRZ order…but Subaru offers like 5 different ones.

I think the new WRX will crush its sales targets, I’m just saying I won’t be one of the reasons why. Current model will go down with the ‘02-‘07 GDs as the best years for people like us, but I bet this one outsells those.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stilesg57 For This Useful Post:
dowroa (09-21-2021), Jeonsa (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #108
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilesg57 View Post
That’s why nobody here is going to option a freakin’ dog harness with their BRZ order…
I ordered a dog harness with mine...
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
dowroa (09-21-2021), stilesg57 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #109
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
I ordered a dog harness with mine...
When a higher spec BRZ is available, I will be doing the same for my two Aussies.

- brian
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
stilesg57 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #110
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilesg57 View Post
Subaru knows their customer base very, VERY well and the people on this forum are an infinitesimally small (albeit loud) slice of it. That’s why nobody here is going to option a freakin’ dog harness with their BRZ order…but Subaru offers like 5 different ones.

I think the new WRX will crush its sales targets, I’m just saying I won’t be one of the reasons why. Current model will go down with the ‘02-‘07 GDs as the best years for people like us, but I bet this one outsells those.
Exactly, that’s why when I first saw the car the first thought I had is somehow….regardless of what anyone thinks this thing will sell. I owned one for a little bit and understood the love behind them.
Jeonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeonsa For This Useful Post:
stilesg57 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #111
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
hmm... try that with a CVT with open diffs... but maybe a more loose surface with split grip

Edit: Can't do? Sure, you can use the wrong tool for anything and make it work.

Could do better with a 20 year old Subaru better than the current crop? That is the problem (and what I am using for my use-cases).

Very specific so you can pick it apart? Sure! Show me a current Subaru that can beat a 98-01 RS in rallyX. It isn't the current 2022 WRX.
The average Subaru customer doesn't need much for the gravel road down to the campsite. Adding all the stuff people don't need/won't use would just up the price.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
stilesg57 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #112
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Man, you make one glancing comment about dog accessories in a forum for Subaru-made vehicles…
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote