follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 8,684 Times in 3,939 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
To keep your injectors clean. E85 doesn't have cleaning additives. The "cleanness" or "corrosiveness" has nothing to do with keeping the injectors clean.

To everyone else who says they have no issues: Have you ever flowbenched your injectors after just being on ethanol for a long time? Independent data my surprise you and change your mind very, very quickly.
I have heard of this in our cars with pump gas too.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #16
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 13,316 Times in 6,442 Posts
Mentioned: 932 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have heard of this in our cars with pump gas too.
It happens with all fuel, just much faster when you don't have detergents.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #17
CincyJohn

Drives: 2020 Pearl Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
To keep your injectors clean. E85 doesn't have cleaning additives. The "cleanness" or "corrosiveness" has nothing to do with keeping the injectors clean.

To everyone else who says they have no issues: Have you ever flowbenched your injectors after just being on ethanol for a long time? Independent data my surprise you and change your mind very, very quickly.
Do tell. Some specifics on those flow tests, length of e85 use, and comparisons to petrol injectors used over a similar time period would be helpful.

So do you think running occasional tanks of petrol will help that? What about occasional off-the-shelf additives? Or is the solution just to change your injectors after a certain period of time (and get advantages of higher flow aftermarket injectors at that time).
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #18
Sur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S. MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Do tell. Some specifics on those flow tests, length of e85 use, and comparisons to petrol injectors used over a similar time period would be helpful.

So do you think running occasional tanks of petrol will help that? What about occasional off-the-shelf additives? Or is the solution just to change your injectors after a certain period of time (and get advantages of higher flow aftermarket injectors at that time).
Iím curious about this too. I want to run E85. But not if it will cause unnecessary harm to my system. So what can I do to ensure this doesnít happen when running e85.

Or is the best course of action to get a flex fuel kit and upgrade fuel pump and injectors?
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 8,684 Times in 3,939 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
Iím curious about this too. I want to run E85. But not if it will cause unnecessary harm to my system. So what can I do to ensure this doesnít happen when running e85.

Or is the best course of action to get a flex fuel kit and upgrade fuel pump and injectors?
It is easier to just go flex fuel. There is only one station in your area I am aware of.

No need to upgrade fuel pump or injectors unless you are FI. I am running all stock fuel system.
Dzmitry (08-16-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #20
Sur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S. MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
It is easier to just go flex fuel. There is only one station in your area I am aware of.

No need to upgrade fuel pump or injectors unless you are FI. I am running all stock fuel system.
I plan to get a FF kit. But I just wanted to feel the difference in power with E85 now haha
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:30 PM   #21
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Garage
Haven't seen anyone mention this but if your fuel pump starts to go and you go and do a pull and lean the motor out it could lead to a very large vent being added to your block. Likelihood of that happening is low and I wouldn't worry about it much but I did go ahead and add a fuel pressure safety switch that would yank timing and try to save the motor in the event of fuel pressure loss.
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:32 AM   #22
steve99

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,955 Posts
Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKaGorganZola View Post
Haven't seen anyone mention this but if your fuel pump starts to go and you go and do a pull and lean the motor out it could lead to a very large vent being added to your block. Likelihood of that happening is low and I wouldn't worry about it much but I did go ahead and add a fuel pressure safety switch that would yank timing and try to save the motor in the event of fuel pressure loss.

NA car unlikely on any fuel to go bang. also far less likely to be an issue on E85 due its much higher octane rating and knock resistance. Leanout manily issue with boosted cars and fuel pressure safety is good idea

As previous ive run E85 full time for 8 years stock fuel system no issues no additives added to fuel.

ive tuned countless cars to E85 only, our country we have guaranteed 85% ethanol at pump never varies , maybe out E85 better quality.

Many tuners here tune E85 full time no flex many track cars as well , due to the availability of consistent pump E85 that always 85% lots of boosted cars as well.

the only issues ive seen is people adding additives to E85 which i suspect were for petrol and it caused clogged fuel filters with a jelly like substance.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (08-17-2021), CincyJohn (08-17-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:27 PM   #23
Maru86

Drives: 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
NA car unlikely on any fuel to go bang. also far less likely to be an issue on E85 due its much higher octane rating and knock resistance. Leanout manily issue with boosted cars and fuel pressure safety is good idea

As previous ive run E85 full time for 8 years stock fuel system no issues no additives added to fuel.

ive tuned countless cars to E85 only, our country we have guaranteed 85% ethanol at pump never varies , maybe out E85 better quality.

Many tuners here tune E85 full time no flex many track cars as well , due to the availability of consistent pump E85 that always 85% lots of boosted cars as well.

the only issues ive seen is people adding additives to E85 which i suspect were for petrol and it caused clogged fuel filters with a jelly like substance.
@steve99 are you aware of anyone having issues with the HPFP on a diet of E85? I've seen a lot of talk over at NASIOC around HPFP failure on higher ethanol blends for the FA20DIT WRX. Would be keen to hear if you have a theory on why it's been so prevalent for them (fuel quality as you mentioned, additional demands on the pump in the context for the DIT)?
Maru86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:45 AM   #24
steve99

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,955 Posts
Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru86 View Post
@steve99 are you aware of anyone having issues with the HPFP on a diet of E85? I've seen a lot of talk over at NASIOC around HPFP failure on higher ethanol blends for the FA20DIT WRX. Would be keen to hear if you have a theory on why it's been so prevalent for them (fuel quality as you menttioned, additional demands on the pump in the context for the DIT)?

Occasionalky hpfp fails on petrol, we have a lot of people on e85 long term here no noticable increase in hpfp or any other tupe of failure on E85 86/brz

I dont know about wrx dit, maybe as a single direct only fuel system it having to run very hard to supply the extra fuel ( maybe the dit tuners are increasing the di pump pressure targets )where as our cars with port and direct systems it not pushed as hard but thars just wild guess.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #25
ermax

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,162 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
e85 "rotation" necessary ...

Iíve got about 3 years on E85 exclusively. The only time I would consider swapping is if you go long periods without out driving the car. For example I wouldnít put my car away for the winter with E85 in it due to the way it collects water.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote