follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2020, 02:20 AM   #1919
glorydays
Remember me?

Drives: BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can someone send a link for the oil feed fitting for this kit?
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #1920
Pyrium

Drives: Raven 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays View Post
Can someone send a link for the oil feed fitting for this kit?
Do you need to purchase a new one? When I have had to replace some small parts, I just email Lee@Avo and he sends me a quote. I wish I could be more help. Here is the install instructions, it may have it in here.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqNyDKYrTZqLg58-...izTMw?e=aYN3oB
Pyrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #1921
Pyrium

Drives: Raven 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Okay yeah, the installation manual has it as 12x1.25mm oil fitting.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqNyDKYrTZqLhNQJ...mPDlw?e=Ue9D9H
Pyrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:08 AM   #1922
Konfyouzd

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Not sure if it’s been answered yet but I’m mid install and I’m not sure how to go about flattening the radiator support beam. Are ppl just hammering if flat or cutting off the lip? If hammering what are you putting behind it while you hit it?
Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #1923
Ghostturbo_86

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 GTS
Smoke Problem On Start Up After Hard Drive AVO Turbo

Hi guys, New to the page so hello.

I've purchased a Toyota 86 GTS 2012 model a while back and the previous owner had already installed an AVO turbo I believe in 2013. For the first year or so the turbo was doing great and everything was fine. The turbo still performs very well and there aren't any issues with the turbo itself but I do seem to be having some sort of issue where if I drive the car too hard it will punch out a large cloud of white smoke. I've seen many theories as to why this could be but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar issue with their avo turbo.

If I drive the car normally and don't go too hard on the car it won't punch out smoke when turned on the next day. If I put the car in sport mode and foot to the floor I will most definitely expect to see the smoke in the morning.

If anyone has any reason to why this is I would love to hear your thoughts and how I could fix this issue.

Some information about the smoke itself. The smoke is definitely not condensation, the smoke will linga in the air and does not smell sweet the smoke smells like burning oil and will exit through the exhaust pipe on Startup. To my knowledge, the Turbo does not smoke when accelerating. The colour of this smoke looks White but can have a tint of blue in it.
Ghostturbo_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #1924
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostturbo_86 View Post

I've purchased a Toyota 86 GTS 2012 model a while back and the previous owner had already installed an AVO turbo I believe in 2013. For the first year or so the turbo was doing great and everything was fine. The turbo still performs very well and there aren't any issues with the turbo itself but I do seem to be having some sort of issue where if I drive the car too hard it will punch out a large cloud of white smoke. I've seen many theories as to why this could be but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar issue with their avo turbo.

If I drive the car normally and don't go too hard on the car it won't punch out smoke when turned on the next day. If I put the car in sport mode and foot to the floor I will most definitely expect to see the smoke in the morning.

If anyone has any reason to why this is I would love to hear your thoughts and how I could fix this issue.

Some information about the smoke itself. The smoke is definitely not condensation, the smoke will linga in the air and does not smell sweet the smoke smells like burning oil and will exit through the exhaust pipe on Startup. To my knowledge, the Turbo does not smoke when accelerating. The colour of this smoke looks White but can have a tint of blue in it.
Engine is tired, time for an overhaul. How many turbo miles does it have?
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #1925
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

check pcv valve

do you have catch cans ??
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #1926
Ghostturbo_86

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
check pcv valve

do you have catch cans ??
from what my mechanic told me I do. my understanding is that the car has got the standard catch can that comes with the turbo kit (located in the top right corner next to the battery, see picture attached).

I can get better photos if needed.

ill check the pcv valve and see what's up. What would I be looking for?
oil in valve?
Attached Images

Ghostturbo_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #1927
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
from what my mechanic told me I do. my understanding is that the car has got the standard catch can that comes with the turbo kit (located in the top right corner next to the battery, see picture attached).

oil in valve?

pcv should be one way valve sometime crap gets stuck in them and they leak both directions

if your runnig over abot 7 psi you probably want a STI or wrx pcv valv or other aftermarket valve mode for boost e as the stock na pcv wasnt meant for boost
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:17 AM   #1928
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:

Plenty of situations can cause oil in the exhaust. You say there isn’t a problem with the turbo itself. How do you know? Because it builds boost? If so, it could still be a problem with the turbo. See below:

https://www.motionraceworks.com/blog...r-turbo-smokes
Old 04-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #1929
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
looking at this kit and have a couple of questions.

I am running an OEM Forester XT oil cooler with the coolant lines fed from the throttle body coolant hose. Does this kit provide an option to run the coolant for the turbo from another source?

Can you drain the oil reservoir for the turbo or do you just accept that it will retain some oil in it when you do an oil change? Obviously you'd be changing oil more often once running forced induction.
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #1930
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_pete View Post
looking at this kit and have a couple of questions.

I am running an OEM Forester XT oil cooler with the coolant lines fed from the throttle body coolant hose. Does this kit provide an option to run the coolant for the turbo from another source?

Can you drain the oil reservoir for the turbo or do you just accept that it will retain some oil in it when you do an oil change? Obviously you'd be changing oil more often once running forced induction.
Run coolant to oil cooler first then turbo. Water cooling helps when running but its biggest benefit is to keep turbo temps down after shutdown.

Don’t worry about the oil scavenge tank. There is not enough in there to worry about.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
sneaky_pete (04-28-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #1931
Soviet Pigeon

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBRZ_UAE View Post
Interesting issue I've had recently guys, would love some input.

During the reassembly, the original turbo started leaking, which led to my purchasing a new AVO 2049 turbo with billet compressor wheel (apparently a TD05-20g by another name). Thus I now have an ooooold Stage 2 kit (from like 2014) with a new stage 3/4 turbo. During this time took the opportunity to install injectors and meth to try and take advantage of the bigger turbo.
So if I've read this correct, you can put the 2049 in the place of the 1849 with no extra hardware for fitting? Obvs just pump/injectors and map for more power?
Soviet Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:35 PM   #1932
Conti93

Drives: Toyota GT86 First Edition 53/86
Quote:

oil in valve?
Does anyone have a freaking manual for that catch can?
I have a friend of mine which on an almost new kit is leaking oil on the turbo, and his Avo catch can is routed in a completely different way. I'm not talking LHD vs RHD, ports are connected in different spots, so I wouldn't want it to be connected in the wrong way and pressurize the crankcase which in turn would probably make the turbo leak.
I mean, I could disassemble it and figure out how it works, but it doesn't seem right to have 138 pages of thread without a manual for the catch can.
Maybe @AVOturboworld could chime in?
Conti93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avo, avoturboworld