follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2018, 05:40 AM   #1065
krayzie
Elite Transmissionist
 
krayzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Location: Filth City
Posts: 4,891
Thanks: 2,356
Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,994 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It doesn't do the job any more, they barely pass emissions and the gas mileage is getting so low it is nearing gas guzzler status. The best tune is actually the aftermarket one, because they don't have to worry about federal regulations and can make it safer and smoother.

They've literally upgraded everything at this point besides the engine. Only thing I can think is they are going to ditch the 2.5 and give us a 2.0 with some sort of hybrid battery pack for torque in the next gen and don't want to change anything big now. They've stopped selling it totally in some other markets.
Yes I think Subaru if not already seriously need to invest heavily on making a replacement engine for the WRX STI as they've already spent enough on improving handling. I wonder if they are having a lot of trouble breaking 300hp reliably with their 3rd gen Boxer engines that the overseas offices have no idea how to market lesser specs on paper.

Over the last few years Subaru have seemed to be prepping their customers on changing their direction from hardcore motorsports to comfort and luxury as the STI logo is even slowly changing color from pink to red. Maybe this is all done just in case they couldn't make a proper replacement for the WRX STI, making plans for its eventual death.

Whereas over at Mazda, their Skyactiv technology seems to have a lot of potential and a lot brighter future.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #1066
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat
 
chaoskaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 2,992
Thanks: 4,657
Thanked 1,276 Times in 859 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Yes I think Subaru if not already seriously need to invest heavily on making a replacement engine for the WRX STI as they've already spent enough on improving handling. I wonder if they are having a lot of trouble breaking 300hp reliably with their 3rd gen Boxer engines that the overseas offices have no idea how to market lesser specs on paper.

Over the last few years Subaru have seemed to be prepping their customers on changing their direction from hardcore motorsports to comfort and luxury as the STI logo is even slowly changing color from pink to red. Maybe this is all done just in case they couldn't make a proper replacement for the WRX STI, making plans for its eventual death.

Whereas over at Mazda, their Skyactiv technology seems to have a lot of potential and a lot brighter future.

Subaru do have the FA20 DIT in Levorg tune to the same output as STI @ exactly 300hp 300 tq......but that thing isn't exactly a racy engine with a 6k redline... max hp @ 5.5k peak torque 2k-4.8k.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #1067
FRSBRZGT86FAN
Senior Member
 
FRSBRZGT86FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2015 FR-S AT, 2019 CX-5
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,201
Thanks: 3,052
Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,374 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Subaru do have the FA20 DIT in Levorg tune to the same output as STI @ exactly 300hp 300 tq......but that thing isn't exactly a racy engine with a 6k redline... max hp @ 5.5k peak torque 2k-4.8k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Yes I think Subaru if not already seriously need to invest heavily on making a replacement engine for the WRX STI as they've already spent enough on improving handling. I wonder if they are having a lot of trouble breaking 300hp reliably with their 3rd gen Boxer engines that the overseas offices have no idea how to market lesser specs on paper.

Over the last few years Subaru have seemed to be prepping their customers on changing their direction from hardcore motorsports to comfort and luxury as the STI logo is even slowly changing color from pink to red. Maybe this is all done just in case they couldn't make a proper replacement for the WRX STI, making plans for its eventual death.

Whereas over at Mazda, their Skyactiv technology seems to have a lot of potential and a lot brighter future.

The FA24 is definitely the motor they'd be looking at, it's so obvious it's undertuned for the subaru ascent.
__________________
OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #1068
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race
 
switchlanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Drives: Subaru Libird
Location: Race Wars
Posts: 3,645
Thanks: 1,050
Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,078 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
The FA24 is definitely the motor they'd be looking at, it's so obvious it's undertuned for the subaru ascent.
I'd be thrilled if the BRZ had a 270-300hp FA24 turbo but I doubt it will. I expect it to be NA for reasons of liability, weight, and so it doesn't encroach on STI sales. But mostly cost. It would ascend to a different class. The Supra will have 335hp and slots right between the Cayman and Cayman S in cost and power. I can't imagine the BRZ being close to a Cayman in power/weight/handling/performance and not costing at least $40k (still undercutting the Cayman by a significant $15k).

But hallelujah if it does. Even if it's $40k I'd take one in manual in a heartbeat over an auto Supra and save a ton.
__________________

Last edited by switchlanez; 06-23-2018 at 11:58 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
Vic4uf (06-23-2018), zigzagz94 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #1069
FRSBRZGT86FAN
Senior Member
 
FRSBRZGT86FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2015 FR-S AT, 2019 CX-5
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,201
Thanks: 3,052
Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,374 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I'd be thrilled if the BRZ had a 270-300hp FA24 turbo but I doubt it will. I expect it to be NA for reasons of liability, weight, and so it doesn't encroach on STI sales. But mostly cost. It would ascend to a different class. The Supra will have 335hp and slots right between the Cayman and Cayman S in cost and power. I can't imagine the BRZ being close to a Cayman in power/weight/handling/performance and not costing at least $40k (still undercutting the Cayman by a significant $15k).

But hallelujah if it does. Even if it's $40k I'd take one in manual in a heartbeat over an auto Supra and save a ton.

I was referring to the engine they are going to put into the future STI
__________________
OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #1070
Yoshoobaroo
Seņor Member
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,112
Thanks: 1,901
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,461 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Subaru goes to one engine for the whole lineup, the 2.4 turbo. Hear me out on this. A turbo 2.4 will have better real life fuel economy than a smaller turbo motor that makes the same power. They can vary the turbo size from a small one on the ~200hp version to essentially add a bit of torque, to a large one on the STI for 350ish HP. This would greatly streamline their engine manufactuting, and cut development cost accross all models. All they would need to do for a particular model is tweak the redline and size the turbo appropriately. 2.4 turbo for all Subarus!
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
why? (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #1071
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 65,199
Thanks: 57,861
Thanked 98,179 Times in 42,694 Posts
Mentioned: 2386 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
LOL
The Miata gets it's first real HP bump in decades and that leads to speculation of 300 hp Twins and 350 hp STIs?
Only on ft86club.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Entroper (07-24-2018), funwheeldrive (06-24-2018), Spuds (06-24-2018), why? (06-24-2018), Yoshoobaroo (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #1072
Yoshoobaroo
Seņor Member
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,112
Thanks: 1,901
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,461 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL
The Miata gets it's first real HP bump in decades and that leads to speculation of 300 hp Twins and 350 hp STIs?
Only on ft86club.


We've become exceedingly efficient at derailing threads.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (06-24-2018), why? (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #1073
funwheeldrive
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Location: MODS ARE ON A POWER TRIP
Posts: 3,447
Thanks: 7,504
Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Subaru goes to one engine for the whole lineup, the 2.4 turbo. Hear me out on this. A turbo 2.4 will have better real life fuel economy than a smaller turbo motor that makes the same power. They can vary the turbo size from a small one on the ~200hp version to essentially add a bit of torque, to a large one on the STI for 350ish HP. This would greatly streamline their engine manufactuting, and cut development cost accross all models. All they would need to do for a particular model is tweak the redline and size the turbo appropriately. 2.4 turbo for all Subarus!
Turbo twin is never going to happen.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #1074
why?
Only happy when it rains.
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: series.blue
Location: Harnett county NC
Posts: 1,996
Thanks: 5,699
Thanked 1,262 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Turbo twin is never going to happen.
never say never. It will not happen this gen, but who knows what the future holds.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #1075
Yoshoobaroo
Seņor Member
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,112
Thanks: 1,901
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,461 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Turbo twin is never going to happen.
Why do you say that? Tada San only said that it would require a new platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
never say never. It will not happen this gen, but who knows what the future holds.
Exactly.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #1076
krayzie
Elite Transmissionist
 
krayzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Location: Filth City
Posts: 4,891
Thanks: 2,356
Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,994 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Turbo twin is never going to happen.
Neither a Turbo Miata.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #1077
Yoshoobaroo
Seņor Member
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,112
Thanks: 1,901
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,461 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Neither a Turbo Miata.


Already happened

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...iata-road-test
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #1078
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB
 
wbradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '18 STI Sport
Location: Thornhill Ontario
Posts: 4,224
Thanks: 998
Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,433 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Neither a Turbo Miata.
Fiat Spider Abarth
__________________
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB [FL]: Mazda Miata MX-5 03-05 and 06-08, manual transmission SteelReign Cars for Sale/Trade 5 06-22-2015 02:01 PM
2016 mazda miata (MX5) reveal 9 PM EST Ernie L Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1 09-03-2014 08:41 PM
FS: Supercharged 1992 Mazda Miata *$4000 OBO* BRZZZZZZZZZZ Canada Classifieds 5 08-18-2014 04:44 PM
The Mazda 2 trully the FWD Miata NA! Tbomb 25 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 24 01-14-2013 09:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.