follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #99
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
The most comfortable miata I had ran 800/500 and least comfortable was 550/350. If price is no option look to jrz or penske or the like.
I was considering the 2018 RF which had a much more compliant suspension (i.e., much better ride), but liked the practicality and driving dynamics of the BRZ. Having owned Mazda's before, I don't think you can apply Mazda solutions to the BRZ -- it's a very different car. Any specific recommendations regarding your experience with the current (2017-2018) BRZ?
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:52 AM   #100
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I was considering the 2018 RF which had a much more compliant suspension (i.e., much better ride), but liked the practicality and driving dynamics of the BRZ. Having owned Mazda's before, I don't think you can apply Mazda solutions to the BRZ -- it's a very different car. Any specific recommendations regarding your experience with the current (2017-2018) BRZ?
It's probably not any more fair to compare miatas to Mazda as a whole than it is to compare them to a brz. I don't have much experience other than my 2013 which is still on stock suspension. Contact counterspace garage or racecomp engineering and they will have all the info you could ever need.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:14 AM   #101
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you saying that with coilovers I can get a less stiff ride? Any recommendations? Cost is not really an issue for me except that I hate to pay for things that don't deliver much more.
You can read a review of Sachs coilovers here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=49

Anyone who wants them in US has to contact ZF Race Engineering directly, or order from overseas.

Other options are Ohlins (with the newer spring rates) and Bilstein.

Personally, I live in Germany and it was easier to install with TÜV approval the Sachs coilovers.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #102
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Cost is not really an issue for me except that I hate to pay for things that don't deliver much more.
And I hate to beat on a dead horse and this is subjective but I haven't given enough credit to how much of a difference lighter weight wheels make for the price.

You may know this but unsprung rotating mass is 3x harder to accelerate than sprung weight. Shave 6.25 lbs/wheel, that's effectively 6.25x4x3 = 75 lbs of sprung weight removed. And you'll feel it. I felt it when I made the wheel switch. My buddy felt so impressed when he drove my car (before I supercharged it) that he also grabbed a set. That savings is greater for the 86's curb weight proportionally than, say, a Mustang or other sports cars in general and especially appreciable given the 86's torque. People spend more than $3k to shed similar proportions of weight without sacrificing comfort/functionality or to gain throttle response without sacrificing reliability (lightweight spinning transmission/drivetrain components) and there's labor cost/work involved.

If I had to choose between a supercharger or super lightweight wheels, given their prices, I'd choose the wheels. It's a 3-punch combo improving handling (guess this thread makes that subjective), looks, and [deceivingly] throttle response. But against TRD wheels ($1k for a slight variation of stock wheels which I'd guess weigh ~17 lbs as my 17x7.5 15-spoke STI cast wheels weighed 18.4 lbs)... I'd choose the supercharger. If you spend $3-$5k on suspension I see $1k on wheels as a skimp (also due to aesthetics/fitment). Guess I value wheel-on-body aesthetics more than you.

Considering what other wheels offer, with TWS I get more than what I pay for.

Last edited by switchlanez; 04-13-2018 at 03:59 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #103
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
And I hate to beat on a dead horse and this is subjective but I haven't given enough credit to how much of a difference lighter weight wheels make for the price.

You may know this but unsprung rotating mass is 3x harder to accelerate than sprung weight. Shave 6.25 lbs/wheel, that's effectively 6.25x4x3 = 75 lbs of sprung weight removed. And you'll feel it. I felt it when I made the wheel switch. My buddy felt so impressed when he drove my car (before I supercharged it) that he also grabbed a set. That savings is greater for the 86's curb weight proportionally than, say, a Mustang or other sports cars in general and especially appreciable given the 86's torque. People spend more than $3k to shed similar proportions of weight without sacrificing comfort/functionality or to gain throttle response without sacrificing reliability (lightweight spinning transmission/drivetrain components) and there's labor cost/work involved.

If I had to choose between a supercharger or super lightweight wheels, given their prices, I'd choose the wheels. It's a 3-punch combo improving handling (guess this thread makes that subjective), looks, and [deceivingly] throttle response. But against TRD wheels ($1k for a slight variation of stock wheels which I'd guess weigh ~17 lbs as my 17x7.5 15-spoke STI cast wheels weighed 18.4 lbs)... I'd choose the supercharger. If you spend $3-$5k on suspension I see $1k on wheels as a skimp (also due to aesthetics/fitment). Guess I value wheel-on-body aesthetics more than you.

What if I think 16's look better than 18's? Would that mean I value wheel-on-body aesthetics more than you?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #104
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
What if I think 16's look better than 18's? Would that mean I value wheel-on-body aesthetics more than you?
If you think an inner concentric circle of the rim being disproportionately smaller than the outer concentric arc of the wheel well looks better than both concentric circles "size matched" to run closer to parallel (if wheel-to-body aesthetics means you don't like wheel matched to body), then yes.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #105
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

You make excellent points about value for money. This thread, and the back and forth arguments (including my own), just tell me objectively that moving to these wheels will not give me virtually anything in terms of performance. In retrospect, I think I was doing the same thing others with their wide wheel arguments were doing -- trying to justify the purchase. I can't justify wide wheels on this car for just street driving (autocross and track excepted), and I can't justify the purchase of these wheels and tires for street performance either. So it's a matter of look and ego.

All of the responses here lead me to the decision just to stick with stock for a while, and perhaps, if I'm not satisfied with the tires I get with the car, just upgrade the tires. Any suspension or lowering changes will decrease ride comfort and moving to wide tires will decrease road handling, especially in front.

Thank you all for your input. It did make a difference in what I plan to do.... Perhaps, subconsciously, I was trying to justify a purchase that in the back of my mind, was questionable. Now off to my psychiatrist......
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-14-2018), switchlanez (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #106
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
If you think an inner concentric circle of the rim being disproportionately smaller than the outer concentric arc of the wheel well looks better than both concentric circles "size matched" to run closer to parallel (if wheel-to-body aesthetics means you don't like wheel matched to body), then yes.
Way to try and make it sound super ugly. I am offended. "If you think", *scoffs*. I don't think, I know.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #107
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd say you have good taste lol

While I think they both look fine my 225/50R16's just came in today.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #108
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I'd say you have good taste lol

While I think they both look fine my 225/50R16's just came in today.
OH? What wheels?
Old 04-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #109
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

These are smaller wheels I can get behind.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #110
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
These are smaller wheels I can get behind.
The TRD one is dope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #111
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
OH? What wheels?
They certainly fit the budget! I got them all mounted up today.

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/DAI...5&offsetmax=42

new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #112
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
They certainly fit the budget! I got them all mounted up today.

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/DAI...5&offsetmax=42

These are nice. All black everything is the way to go.