follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #29
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Still tightening a flat surface against a flat surface. You will snap a lug bolt before you will warp a rotor. People may think they warped one tightening it but it is just not realistic. Unless of course you are using some flimsy ass bargain basement ones I guess.
I think the whole warping rotor thing came about because of steel wheels. They are stamped so the contact surface between the lug nut and wheel is offset from the contact plane between the wheel and the rotor. This provides a much better load distribution through a bit of elastic deformation.

I could "maybe... possibly..." picture a scenario where, under excessive stress and many heat cycles, there might be some creep.

But I've never seen it firsthand.

Quote:
...TRD control beams...
Grrrr...
Old 11-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #30
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
AHHHHH I see. Sort of trans dimensional rotors. Suppose that would be OK as long as the rotors don't develop a "sense of existence" like the TRD control beams have.
These would add approximately the same amount of performance benefit that TRD damped strut bracing adds.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #31
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have read stories of people snapping their studs when tightening their wheels to spec many times (I believe spec is 90 ft/lbs). in that regard, a torque wrench might be useful since the studs are so weak and it would be easy to over tighten if you do not use a torque wrench. I personally have been tightening my lugs to 82 ft/lbs for many years ever since my first car since that's all it needed lol. I thought it was the same for every car until I heard about the 90 ft/lbs for this one, but I still never used 90 anyways.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #32
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I was installing the OEM mud flaps today and had to remove/reinstall the rear wheels. The wheels were installed in the dealer last time supposedly at the correct torque. When removing the wheels, I had to give about half of my weight to loosen the lug nuts. I am about 170 pounds. The torque spec is 89 ft-lbs. The stock lug wrench has about 1 ft long handle. My half weight is 85 pounds. So I applied ~85 ft-lbs torque. I did the same when I was reinstalling. Done!

I will let you know if you lose a wheel or break any studs next week
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #33
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
You can get a torque wrench and a socket and it's not all that expensive. If you under-torque, obviously that's bad. But over-torquing can stretch threads and if you REALLY over-do it, warp your rotors.

That said, people tighten lugnuts using the German torque spec everyday and do fine.
Hahaha GUTEN TIGHT!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
guybo (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #34
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Using a torque wrench is critical if you are doing any track/autox/performance driving. If you are just driving around town, doing it by hand should be "good enough". I think it is more important to re-check your lug nuts after several miles of driving. I usually find one that is looser than the rest, and needs to be re-torqued.
C4RBON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C4RBON For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #35
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/154

I'm not to argue with you about it beyond this, but I have seen it and this article mentions it. It must come from uneven tightening and if you REALLY torque hard enough and it's uneven enough, you're going to warp the rotor. Read the article.

Either way, there's lots of bad things that come of under- or over-tightening and if you are inexperienced you can do some expensive damage. Even a cheap torque wrench will at least get you in the neighborhood. It's not an exact science, there's some leeway. I have a cheapo torque wrench (off Amazon) and when I do my wheels, it's plenty good enough. But when I went to do my header bolts (29 lb-ft IIRC) it was not up to the task and I had to go by feel.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #36
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/154

I'm not to argue with you about it beyond this, but I have seen it and this article mentions it. It must come from uneven tightening and if you REALLY torque hard enough and it's uneven enough, you're going to warp the rotor. Read the article.

Either way, there's lots of bad things that come of under- or over-tightening and if you are inexperienced you can do some expensive damage. Even a cheap torque wrench will at least get you in the neighborhood. It's not an exact science, there's some leeway. I have a cheapo torque wrench (off Amazon) and when I do my wheels, it's plenty good enough. But when I went to do my header bolts (29 lb-ft IIRC) it was not up to the task and I had to go by feel.
Yeah I just have one of those clicker ones but these guys who don't even have one... like do you even science bro?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
guybo (11-21-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #37
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
Using a torque wrench is critical if you are doing any track/autox/performance driving. If you are just driving around town, doing it by hand should be "good enough". I think it is more important to re-check your lug nuts after several miles of driving. I usually find one that is looser than the rest, and needs to be re-torqued.
Well then ...... I reckon you didn't do it right the first time ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (11-21-2016), p1l0t (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #38
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well then ...... I reckon you didn't do it right the first time ......

humfrz
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=107

Quote:
New wheels should be re-torqued after the first 50 to 100 driving miles.

This should be done in case the clamping loads have changed following the initial installation due to the metal compression/elongation or thermal stresses affecting the wheels as they are breaking in, as well as to verify the accuracy of the original installation.
I reckon TireRack knows what they're talking about.

I have actually seen this phenomenon happen. Last year I helped a friend change to his new winter wheels since he doesn't have a garage. He torqued the nuts, and I checked all of them. I told him to come back in a day or two so we could check them again. He didn't came back. A week later, he was on the highway and got a really bad vibration from his front-right wheel. A lug nut had fallen off, and another was loose. There is essentially 0% chance that we both missed multiple lug nuts on the same wheel. I re-tightened all of his lug nuts using the same torque wrench, and found several more that weren't up to spec.

Even if we had both missed the lug nut, re-checking them a day later would have prevented this hazard from occurring. I see little reason why anybody shouldn't re-check their lug nuts. It takes less than 5 minutes. I frequently find one that isn't up to spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, I've tightened hundreds, maybe thousands, of lug nuts in my 73 years, never used a torque wrench and never had a wheel fall off.

humfrz
And I'm the one who isn't doing it right? Really?
C4RBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:25 AM   #39
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=107

I reckon TireRack knows what they're talking about.

I have actually seen this phenomenon happen. Last year I helped a friend change to his new winter wheels since he doesn't have a garage. He torqued the nuts, and I checked all of them. I told him to come back in a day or two so we could check them again. He didn't came back. A week later, he was on the highway and got a really bad vibration from his front-right wheel. A lug nut had fallen off, and another was loose. There is essentially 0% chance that we both missed multiple lug nuts on the same wheel. I re-tightened all of his lug nuts using the same torque wrench, and found several more that weren't up to spec.

Even if we had both missed the lug nut, re-checking them a day later would have prevented this hazard from occurring. I see little reason why anybody shouldn't re-check their lug nuts. It takes less than 5 minutes. I frequently find one that isn't up to spec.

And I'm the one who isn't doing it right? Really?
Well, there, @C4RBON , you do have a couple good points.

* new wheels should be checked after the settle in.

* since you and your buddy can't seem to get the lug nuts tight the first time, there are most likely others ...... so, maybe ya'll should check them twice.

Ya, know, after a shop rotates my wheels, I've never had them say that the lug nuts should be rechecked after a few miles...??

Why didn't the dealership where I bought my car (with 2 miles on it) insist that I bring it back in for a lug nut tightness check, after a few miles.....??

Now, I've tightened lug nuts on 10 hole bud wheels off of large trucks, large (6') tractor wheels, drive sprockets on M-60 tanks, several other military vehicles and many, farm tractors, trailers, wagons, combines, hay bailers ........ and I've never used a torque wrench or re-checked them ....... and never had a wheel fall off.

NO, @Tcoat ...... I have not changed the wheel on a covered wagon or an ox cart.

So, there, C4RBON if YOU need a nanny torque wrench and have to check the tightness of lug nuts twice ....... that's OK........I don't.

humfrz
Old 11-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #40
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
I torque and then re-torque. It's just laziness not to. I have never had a lug nut get loose but on re-torquing I always get a just a little out of at least 1 or 2.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #41
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use one. Anything involving your brakes/wheels/tires is not something you half ass. If the wheel studs on these cars are really so weak, that's just another reason to use a torque wrench so you know you're not putting too much on them.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #42
humfrz

Quote:
I torque and then re-torque. It's just laziness not to. I have never had a lug nut get loose but on re-torquing I always get a just a little out of at least 1 or 2.
Sorry, @guybo but I'm gonna hafta to you in the same bucket with @C4RBON on this point. I reckon if you find a loose lug nut on a wheel after you have properly tightened them down ....... ya done something wrong the first time around ......

HEY! I AM NOT lazy! .......now, I have to go take ma mid morning nap ... ZZZZZ

humfrz