follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #3823
bmacfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suspension tuning

So I was reading a bit about suspension tuning. Which make my head hurt since theres a lot of conflicting info on the subject.
It had me thinking about the differences in autocross vs track use when I came across this statement.
"Generally, you want more compression and less rebound on a road course, but less compression and more rebound for autocross."
First I thought, is that accurate? Also, can it really be that simple as a baseline?

So lets say I have RCE Tarmac2's (separate adjustable compression and rebound) with the provided 400lbs springs and RCE front and rear sway bars on soft. As an experiment, I use the vendors recommended compression and rebound settings as a middle of the road baseline. Then create an autocross baseline by going a couple click in the direction suggested by the earlier statement and do the same for a track baseline. Not making any other changes, drive the car in both scenarios and adjust each baseline as needed.
Curious as to what you think?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #3824
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 5,573 Times in 2,358 Posts
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
So I was reading a bit about suspension tuning. Which make my head hurt since theres a lot of conflicting info on the subject.
It had me thinking about the differences in autocross vs track use when I came across this statement.
"Generally, you want more compression and less rebound on a road course, but less compression and more rebound for autocross."
First I thought, is that accurate? Also, can it really be that simple as a baseline?

So lets say I have RCE Tarmac2's (separate adjustable compression and rebound) with the provided 400lbs springs and RCE front and rear sway bars on soft. As an experiment, I use the vendors recommended compression and rebound settings as a middle of the road baseline. Then create an autocross baseline by going a couple click in the direction suggested by the earlier statement and do the same for a track baseline. Not making any other changes, drive the car in both scenarios and adjust each baseline as needed.
Curious as to what you think?
That's a BIG simplification....but not a terrible one. At least for rebound, yes I generally prefer more on an autox car compared to a track car. But still not "too much" rebound which we often see on track/autox/street. For compression...maybe more compression for a track car but it's very dependent on other factors.

Generally, people just run too much rebound and not enough compression for both autox and the track and the street. Very broad statement but it's a thing IMO.

It's common to prefer different settings for track vs autox for T2s. That's the beauty of a 2 way damper as long as you take notes and make the right adjustments. I think your experiment is worthwhile, but just remember to take notes and don't assume anything will be better because the internet says it should be!

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
bmacfrs (05-26-2020)
Old Today, 04:49 PM   #3825
Yoshoobaroo
Chips & Torque Dip

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 1,355 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
@Racecomp Engineering or @CSG Mike, I have a hypothetical suspension question.

Imagine you have a set of shocks and springs well matched for each other, like RCE Yellows with the stock shocks they were designed to work with. if you added significantly stiffer sway bars to that setup, would you need to go back and get stiffer shocks to keep the car from being underdamped in roll?

Thanks!
Yoshoobaroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:44 PM   #3826
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 12,500 Times in 5,992 Posts
Mentioned: 877 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
@Racecomp Engineering or @CSG Mike, I have a hypothetical suspension question.

Imagine you have a set of shocks and springs well matched for each other, like RCE Yellows with the stock shocks they were designed to work with. if you added significantly stiffer sway bars to that setup, would you need to go back and get stiffer shocks to keep the car from being underdamped in roll?

Thanks!
Depends on what you do with the car, but possibly.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote