follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2024, 11:19 PM   #15
tarzan_nojane

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I installed this unit in my 2014 FR-S over the Christmas holiday, replacing the stock Pioneer T10015 and HK Nav Ext Box. A few years ago I had installed a 6-18V rear camera and the necessary reverse trigger wiring. Camera worked from the start, though the guide lines/box are unaffected by steering wheel rotation (CanBus issue?).

The CANBUS settings are a complete mystery to me, but certain values caused the LR speaker to silence after 6-7 seconds, except when playing the radio. Was hoping that the ELM-327 OBDII BT adapter would no longer be needed (drains the battery when parked), but so far this is not the case.

Outstanding issues include:
- BT in-call microphone using the OEM mic is mediocre at best. MIC Gain is set to +40 and person receiving call hears lots of static and background noise.
- not sure antenna amp power is working - poor reception and Mono on most FM stations. AM is crap. Will review blue/blue-white wire status per @FR-S2GT86.
- tried installing the 20231123 FW update in a EAT32-formatted 32GB microUSB using the SD card slot. The system recognized the update and went through the motion, but FW remained 20230903.

I bought my unit from the Joying Official Store (joyforwaSatNav) on eBay. On two occasions I tried to email support@joyinauto. Each time there were 3-4 back and forths first requesting "screenshot of PayPal business recording", then asking for "screenshot of 'about device'". After five requests I gave up asking for a custom wallpaper file that the Discord chat says they will provide using images you send them.

The screen is crisp and easy to read during the day. Despite having a gloss finish, reflections are not really an issue. I have added Torque (but using ELM-327 to get CanBus data), iGO navigation, and GasBuddy apps. Tried Android Auto, but that was losing the LR speaker as mentioned earlier.

Am planning on installing an app to enable Immersive Mode and hide the status bar, since just about all those functions have soft buttons along the bottom of the display.

Last edited by tarzan_nojane; 02-04-2024 at 11:49 PM.
tarzan_nojane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarzan_nojane For This Useful Post:
turbos86 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 01:24 AM   #16
turbos86

Drives: 2014 Zenki 37J
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_nojane View Post
Outstanding issues include:
- BT in-call microphone using the OEM mic is mediocre at best. MIC Gain is set to +40 and person receiving call hears lots of static and background noise.
- not sure antenna amp power is working - poor reception and Mono on most FM stations. AM is crap. Will review blue/blue-white wire status per @FR-S2GT86.
- tried installing the 20231123 FW update in a EAT32-formatted 32GB microUSB using the SD card slot. The system recognized the update and went through the motion, but FW remained 20230903.
The mic that came with the car is wired oddly (Something about it being powered?). Instead, I'm using the mic that came with the head unit and placed it in the OEM location up near the map light. Haven't gotten any complains about mic quality yet, from people I've spoken with.

Didn't know there's a firmware update. Just had a look on Joying's website, it doesn't even say what the update is for. I think I'm not going to bother, in case it bricks my head unit.

Edit:
Joying got back to me regarding the buttons at the bottom. They said it's not programmable.

Last edited by turbos86; 02-06-2024 at 08:55 PM.
turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbos86 For This Useful Post:
tarzan_nojane (02-06-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:40 PM   #17
tarzan_nojane

Garage
Updating the Joying QCM6125

Update requires using USB extension cable connected to OTG USB port (back of HU chassis)

Current settings can be exported (Settings > Advanced > Factory) to a FAT32-formatted 32GB or less USB Stick before update. Settings are reapplied if also on the stick together with upgrade files/directories. Apps must be reinstalled (but their settings are mostly remembered), and head unit settings (with the exception of passwords) are retained.

20240106 update adds:
1) allows toggling between original UI and new "Android" UI
2) adds Wallpaper app with a selection of more than 10 new "light" and "dark" themed wallpapers. Import feature appears but does not yet function.
3) Split screen selection moves from status bar to status bar > recents > tap on icon for running app
4) "Google" store menu spelling corrected
5) Ocean HD dynamic wallpaper option added
6) PIP option added for displaying video apps simultaneously

Last edited by tarzan_nojane; 02-28-2024 at 12:29 PM.
turbos86 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:16 PM   #18
tarzan_nojane

Garage
Got the OEM mic working:

* added 5V to Joying adapter 28-pin pin 4 pink wire using USB A male w/ pigtail
* added 3.5mm jack + to Joying adapter 28-pin pin 5
* added 3.5mm jack - to Joying adapter 28-pin pin 19

Others talk about using variable capacitors in the circuit, but I think it is not necessary for the Joying as there is a separate setting for Mic gain.

Anyone else using this device convinced that the radio actually has FM Stereo capability? No difference observed between MONO and ST settings. Also reported by another user in FB Unofficial Joying site...
Old 03-06-2024, 02:06 PM   #19
tarzan_nojane

Garage
Connected the CAN HI and CAN LO wires in the Joying adapter harness to the "hidden" 6-pin Option Connector deep in the dash and now the Joying "Car Info" app is reporting tire pressures at the 4 corners under Tire Information". The data is in kPa, and I haven't figured out where/how to change this to PSI. But I can see which tire is triggering the TPMS Warning Indicator.

I don't believe they provided the correct CanBus decoder, as the CanBus version reported by the HU (FT-RZ-02-0051-B1) does not match the label on the Decoder (Raise GG-RZ-FT52) and there is no option for my vehicle under Settings > Factory (8888) > Change model > Raise >Toyota. I have tried selecting different Toyota models, none of which enable access to any of the "Car settings" options.

> Raise > Toyota > Toyota (amp) disables volume control - the physical Volume knob becomes an on/off switch. So I am using the Raise > Toyota > Toyota setting. Though the volume controls work if Raise > Subaru > Subaru is selected, the "Car Info" app no longer functions with this setting.

With the correct Canbus decoder and HU settings, the Guide lines on the Reverse camera image should arc to the right/left when the steering wheel is turned.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM   #20
tarzan_nojane

Garage
Custom boot logo for Joying 12.3 HU

Name:  logo.bmp
Views: 73
Size:  443.0 KB

Format a USB drive with Fat 32
Create a directory named Medialogos in root of USB
Create your logo file:
Name it logo.bmp and save it to the Medialogos directory
(it must be no wider than 640 pixels and no taller than 480 pixels
Boot up radio, but do not insert USB
When radio boots, insert USB
Go to Settings ==> System
Select the Factory button
Enter password 8888
Tap on Boot log
Your image will be displayed as a small icon
Tap on the image to select
Exit Settings app
Reboot –image will appear durng boot

Last edited by tarzan_nojane; 03-14-2024 at 04:58 PM. Reason: corrected bmp max dimensions
turbos86 (03-10-2024)