follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Visual Basic and SQL

Does anybody know how to pass a variable from a VB form (datetimepicker) into an SQL query?

Heres what i've got and it doesn't quite work:
SELECT FirstName, LastName, Phone, DateJoined
FROM Members
WHERE (DateJoined < date1)

Bascially i just want to get all the records before the date that user selects from the date time picker that is stored in date1.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
Does anybody know how to pass a variable from a VB form (datetimepicker) into an SQL query?

Heres what i've got and it doesn't quite work:
SELECT FirstName, LastName, Phone, DateJoined
FROM Members
WHERE (DateJoined < date1)

Bascially i just want to get all the records before the date that user selects from the date time picker that is stored in date1.
There are a few ways. The "easiest" is to assemble the SQL in a string and execute it with an ADODB command object.

Dim strSQL as string = "SELECT blah FROM blah WHERE blah = " & variable

Alternatively, you could use a stored procedure with a parameter, but will still need an object to interface with it. In most of my applications, I use some form of abstraction to handle all my database functions/needs. Of course choosing your solution should be based on the requirements of the project, scalability, etc. So it's solely your discretion.

Also SQL is a pretty arbitrary description of what database you're trying to run against. Some of the less popular databases (I'm looking at you, Sybase), need the date formatted in a certain way before it will be able to analyze it in a WHERE clause. The VB version also makes a difference.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
have you tried
WHERE (getdate() > date1)
Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
There are a few ways. The "easiest" is to assemble the SQL in a string and execute it with an ADODB command object.

Alternatively, you could use a stored procedure with a parameter, but will still need an object to interface with it. In most of my applications, I use some form of abstraction to handle all my database functions/needs. Of course choosing your solution should be based on the requirements of the project, scalability, etc. So it's solely your discretion.

Also SQL is a pretty arbitrary description of what database you're trying to run against. Some of the less popular databases (I'm looking at you, Sybase), need the date formatted in a certain way before it will be able to analyze it in a WHERE clause. The VB version also makes a difference.
Forgive me, but a little hand holding would be greatly appreciated. This is my first term working with SQL(we are only skimming the surface in this course) and i've never used ADODB anything.

Google hasn't given me anything that that really makes sense to me as far as setting up the ADODB object.

I'm using VS 2012.
Code from the form that i'm working on.

Public Class MembersDates
Dim retVal As New Date

Private Sub gtnGo_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles gtnGo.Click
' Me.MembersTableAdapter.Fill(Me.FindMemberDataSet.M embers, txtLastName.Text)
dtpDate.Value = Now()
'Takes the value of whatever is in the datetimepicker
Dim date1 As Date = dtpDate.Value
'2forme's suggestion, not sure how to implement further
Dim strSQL As String = "SELECT FirstName, LastName, Phone, DateJoined FROM Members WHERE " & date1 & " > DateJoined"

'just to see what the output looks like as a string, in a textbox on the form.
txtDate.Text = dtpDate.Value.ToString()

Me.MembersTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DateJoinedDataSet.M embers)
End Sub

Public Function getDate()
'Earlier attempt, obviously didn't work, no longer calling
txtDate.Text = dtpDate.Value.ToString()
retVal = txtDate.Text
Return retVal
End Function

End Class

---------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65 View Post
have you tried
WHERE (getdate() > date1)
Yup, it doesn't seem to understand the date1 variable. If i plug in a static number in the sql, it works fine, but not with a variable.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
2forme

Garage
Oh, you're using a tableadapter.

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/to...adapter-query/
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
Spartan65 (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
FrX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1993 Lexus SC300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post

As someone in the security industry. Please, please, please do not do this. While it will likely not matter for a local application, it is a bad habit to get into. Please use parameters and prepared statements.

Sorry...after investigating about the 100th SQL injection caused by this exact method, you tend to get a bit touchy.
FrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrX View Post

As someone in the security industry. Please, please, please do not do this. While it will likely not matter for a local application, it is a bad habit to get into. Please use parameters and prepared statements.

Sorry...after investigating about the 100th SQL injection caused by this exact method, you tend to get a bit touchy.
It's for his course LOL. I never use this, as you would see if you quoted the rest of my post.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:

Don't worry. After searching the grungy corners of the internet for the past few days, i've realized this isn't something that people do often. Its just part of an extra credit assignment that i'd like to get done.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
@FrX
Quote:

What is wrong if one forms a SQL statement in a string and submit that to the database to query and retrieve information? I thought that is the way to interface with a SQL database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
Don't worry. After searching the grungy corners of the internet for the past few days, i've realized this isn't something that people do often. Its just part of an extra credit assignment that i'd like to get done.
Just by looking at your code, I noticed something in terms of data types. You pass the object *as is* to the string without converting or getting the correct data type of information. For example, *date1* is an object of Date. I am not sure if the default value of a Date object is a string type, but when you concatenate it into a string, you need to ensure it is the string that is interpreted when you form it. You can check it by printing the string to see if VB can get the date as a string for SQL statement.

Hope this helps.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
@FrX

Just by looking at your code, I noticed something in terms of data types. You pass the object *as is* to the string without converting or getting the correct data type of information. For example, *date1* is an object of Date. I am not sure if the default value of a Date object is a string type, but when you concatenate it into a string, you need to ensure it is the string that is interpreted when you form it. You can check it by printing the string to see if VB can get the date as a string for SQL statement.

Hope this helps.
I'm sure that has something to do with it. I have tried converting it to a string, a date(short and long), even and Int, all with no luck. It does make me feel a little better that i asked my (OCD) teacher for help on the problem on Wednesday and she has yet to get back to me with a solution.