follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scion Canada FR-S Tuner Challenge

Not sure if anyone is following this challenge. It's Canadian based.

Top Tuner is in Toronto
Team Swag from Quebec
Team VCMC from Vancouver

http://www.tunerchallenge.ca/

The Challenges:

Challenge 1 Autocross

Each competitor vehicle will race for the best time on a unique track, designed with traffic cones to test speed and agility.

Challenge 2 Driving Skills

Challenge 2 is a driving skills challenge to be held during the DMCC Canadian Drifting Championship, Round 6 on September 2nd and 3rd. Teams will compete in a series of tasks requiring precise and controlled driving which will then be evaluated to determine the winner.

Challenge 3 Drag Racing

This race will be broken into two parts. First, each team will be challenged to run the fastest quarter mile possible. The team with the slowest run will be eliminated and will place 3rd in the rankings. The two remaining teams will then compete in a face-to-face street drag race. The first car across the line will be declared the winner.

Challenge 4 Drifting

For this competition each team vehicle will be driven by a Scion professional drifter. The driver will test the 3 cars and score each one of them on a scale of 1 to 10 based on ten drift specific criteria such as power delivery, overall power, direction feel, angle capability, suspension set-up, tires, overall handling, fun factor, interior set-up and braking. The team with the best score wins the challenge.

Challenge 5 Ice Racing

The Ice Racing challenge will take place at Mecaglisse Race Track in Quebec. To win this competition against the elements, teams will have to complete a series of consecutive timed laps as quickly as possible.

Challenge 6 Media Challenge

In Challenge 6, automotive journalists will have the opportunity to drive each Tuner Challenge vehicle and evaluate the improvements of each team car. Scores will be based on a series of criteria, such as drivability, reliability, engine performance, handling, braking, fit and finish, comfort, looks & technology. The team with the highest score will win the challenge.

Challenge 7 Time Attack

In Challenge 7, teams will enter a time attack race. Held on a road course, teams will attempt to clock the fastest time around the track. The team with the fastest time will win the challenge.

Challenge 8 Gymkhana

Similar to an autocross course, the Gymkhana track adds a series of non-typical driving techniques such as drifting, power circles, figure eights, drift boxes, etc – increasing the overall level of challenge and excitement.

Challenge 9 Endurance

The endurance challenge will put to the test the overall performance, reliability and endurance capabilities of each car. Teams will compete in 3 motorsports (drifting, time attack and drag racing) all held on the same day during a CSCS event. The team that wins the most competitions will be the overall winner of the challenge.

Challenge 10 Show and Shine (I'm guessing this will be Import Fest)

In Challenge 10, teams will be entered in a special Scion FR-S Tuner Challenge category in a major national automotive show and shine competition. Cars will be evaluated and scored by judges based on a series of show and shine competition criteria. The team with the highest overall score wins the competition.

Challenge 11 People’s Choice

As the final challenge, The People’s choice award will showcase the fan favourite. Fans will vote for their favorite team and the team with the most votes will win the challenge. Join the Tuner Challenge mailing list to find out when polling begins.

Set to take place in Canada, the Scion Tuner Challenge, FR-S Edition, will feature three professional tuning teams with free reign to tweak one of the new sports cars to compete against the other two teams.

Each team can take its own spin on how to make its respective FR-S the best. To showcase the cars, there will be 12 episodes hosted by pro drift racer Pat Cyr that will be available to watch online, showing each team progress as it competes.
Past Scion Tuner Challenges focused on style, flashy paint, big stereo systems, but because this year’s competition centers around the track-ready FR-S, the challenges will be too.
The site is live now with the introductory video available, though the 11 challenge episodes remain. Presumably, the episodes will be out once a month with 11 remaining and a year for the project to be complete. Each team will compete for your support, though it looks like each competition will be designed to have a clear winner except for challenges six, 10 and 11, which are the “media challenge, show and shine and people’s choice,” respectively.
One way or another, this will probably be one of the first chances to see some seriously-tuned Scion FR-S action in a long list of categories. You can watch the introductory video below.

The Teams (Detailed):

Team Profile:

SWAG Racing is a race team from Quebec led by Dany “Babu” Bernier, an adrenaline and motorsport junkie. Most people know Babu from his appearances on Quebec television as the host of such shows as Le Top Rock de Babu, Babu a Bord, Embraye avec Babu and Coup de Foudre. Babu has also made his name as a radio host of rock and top 40 shows on stations like CHOI-FM, COOL FM, ÉNERGIE and Radio-X.
When Babu is not in front of a camera or a microphone, he spends his time behind the wheel of a high performance vehicle. From 2005 to 2007, Babu raced in the Canadian Touring Series. In 2008, he shifted from grip to drift, in the DMCC drift series. With the new FR-S in Babu’s hands, we can expect a spectacular drift machine as well as an all-around performance machine.

Remember the Chocolate Love tC, Anarchy xB and Kryptonite xD? This year we’ve selected three new tuning hot shots waiting to make their mark. The 2012 Scion Tuner Challenge FR-S edition kicks off with team’s Swag Racing, Top Tuner, and VCMC already warming up to their FR-S’. Each team has been given an FR-S and $15,000 in cash, to compete in 11 challenges. It’s going to be exciting year as each team will need to customize the car for the conditions of each unique challenge. The stakes are high. Winner takes all.

Team Profile:

Created in 2005, Top Tuner fuels the passion of automotive customization, bringing awareness of the Tuner Culture to the mainstream. Top Tuner has played a pivotal role in development of some of the industries most recognized show cars through their innovation, fresh design and trendsetting. They’ve recently partnered with Can Jam Motorsports, focusing on Racing R&D, to connect the show car and motorsports worlds and change the face of the Tuner world as we know it.
Led by Edmund Dante Lopez Manasan, each member brings a specialty at the top of their game. To be part of Top Tuner, you must be proven, and recognized.

Remember the Chocolate Love tC, Anarchy xB and Kryptonite xD? This year we’ve selected three new tuning hot shots waiting to make their mark. The 2012 Scion Tuner Challenge FR-S edition kicks off with team’s Swag Racing, Top Tuner, and VCMC already warming up to their FR-S’. Each team has been given an FR-S and $15,000 in cash, to compete in 11 challenges. It’s going to be exciting year as each team will need to customize the car for the conditions of each unique challenge. The stakes are high. Winner takes all.

Team Profile:

Team VCMC is an extension of the British Columbia-based VCMC autocross club. Boasting over 200 members, VCMC is one of the largest and best organized clubs in the country and has produced over 50 National Class championships across Canada and the United States.
Team VCMC leader, Richard Basford is one of those champions. He brings an impressive driving resume to the competition, including the 2003 Canadian Nationals C-Stock Champion, 2003 Rookie of the Year and 2011 VCMC Competitor of the Year.
The team’s philosophy is that the driver is the main ingredient for success, regardless of what modifications are made to the car. As Richard says: “if you aren’t able to make use of the full potential of a car off the showroom floor, then how can you expect to master a highly modified purpose-built racing machine?”

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Marloon

Drives: 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
repost.
Marloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yeah this is a repost. Richard already has a thread going in the Autocross section of this site.

Here is the original thread.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8571

I'm cheering for Richard as he is a close friend of mine and great driver. He's also been showing me the ropes Autocrossing. I'll bet anyone 1 adult beverage that he's going to win!

He's been updating the thread on here so I suggest you follow his thread. Because one of the people out east is a Radio DJ, Richard is going to need all of our support to win the fan vote!

I can't wait to see his FR-S once its fully modded.

bneale
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Marloon

Drives: 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
Yeah this is a repost. Richard already has a thread going in the Autocross section of this site.

Here is the original thread.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8571

I'm cheering for Richard as he is a close friend of mine and great driver. He's also been showing me the ropes Autocrossing. I'll bet anyone 1 adult beverage that he's going to win!

He's been updating the thread on here so I suggest you follow his thread. Because one of the people out east is a Radio DJ, Richard is going to need all of our support to win the fan vote!

I can't wait to see his FR-S once its fully modded.

bneale
HAHAHAH BEN I AM YOUR SIG! LOL!!! Not so much a JDM GF is it. HAHA
Marloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
This is a thread to represent the coverage as a whole. I sit beside Edmund all day so I follow his build pretty closely. Nothing is confirmed yet but we might be the first high powered FA20 FR-S . The thread that Richard put up is only representing his team VCMC. This is for us to talk about the competition as a whole. I know everyone is pretty secretive about what their plans are but it's def gonna be exciting to see what everyone puts forward in the amount of time they are given.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marloon View Post
HAHAHAH BEN I AM YOUR SIG! LOL!!! Not so much a JDM GF is it. HAHA

haha. I thought you would like that. I need to make it larger for you.

Ben