follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
milkies27

Drives: Future BRZ owner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ 2015 vs 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here and currently looking for a used BRZ. Now i'm having a dilemma between 2015 vs 2017(facelift) model.

In my country, the cost of a 2015 BRZ is about $32,000 and a 2017 BRZ is about $39,000.(Yes, Malaysia imposed high import tax for car)
So I'm not sure the facelift, minor update and the mfg year are good enough to justify the additional $7,000. Personally, i'm leaning towards the 2015 model (mainly because of the cost), appreciate if anyone could prove me wrong though.

Thanks!
milkies27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
BRZ 2015 vs 2017

Try and drive both. Many of the changes don’t make the car objectively better, but more subjectively depending on what you like. Hope that makes any sense.

I recently looked hard into 2017+ cars and I test drove a few local ones. I came to the conclusion that I *hate* the ride on the PP shocks and that none of the changes for 2017 make the car any better for me. I didn’t notice any difference in noise/NVH comfort (my 13 has 2017 shocks and springs) or sound deadening. The final drive change was imperceptible to me, and I wasn’t impressed by the brembos. I decided to stick with my 13 and spend some money on a few upgrades rather than dropping $10-15k on a stock 17-18.

Your opinion may be different, as others’ on this forum. Drive both and see for yourself. Good thing is you can’t really go wrong with either one.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
HaXx (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Try and drive both. Many of the changes don’t make the car objectively better, but more subjectively depending on what you like. Hope that makes any sense.

I recently looked hard into 2017+ cars and I test drove a few local ones. I came to the conclusion that I *hate* the ride on the PP shocks and that none of the changes for 2017 make the car any better for me. I didn’t notice any difference in noise/NVH comfort (my 13 has 2017 shocks and springs) or sound deadening. The final drive change was imperceptible to me, and I wasn’t impressed by the brembos. I decided to stick with my 13 and spend some money on a few upgrades rather than dropping $10-15k on a stock 17-18.

Your opinion may be different, as others’ on this forum. Drive both and see for yourself. Good thing is you can’t really go wrong with either one.
Going from the 14 to the 20 I have a much different review on a couple of points. After a test drive of a BRZ I agree that the PP is only of value if you plan to track or want the bling factor and doesn't make much sense for a street car.
The other refinements to the "normal" car though have really impressed me and were far greater than I anticipated. The stiffening, final drive and minor improvements in the suspension gave a much better driving experience. I will repeat that I did not anticipate that these minor change would have the cumulative effect that they do. Over all the 2020 just seems more refined to me after driving it for a while that I didn't really catch on the short test drive. There could also be some confirmation bias involved since I brains like to play with us but I think I have spent enough time in each to know the change is real.

Milk,
Here is a list of the changes between the two:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2016 BRZ.pdf (7.80 MB, 359 views)
daiheadjai (08-27-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
milkies27

Drives: Future BRZ owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Going from the 14 to the 20 I have a much different review on a couple of points. After a test drive of a BRZ I agree that the PP is only of value if you plan to track or want the bling factor and doesn't make much sense for a street car.
The other refinements to the "normal" car though have really impressed me and were far greater than I anticipated. The stiffening, final drive and minor improvements in the suspension gave a much better driving experience. I will repeat that I did not anticipate that these minor change would have the cumulative effect that they do. Over all the 2020 just seems more refined to me after driving it for a while that I didn't really catch on the short test drive. There could also be some confirmation bias involved since I brains like to play with us but I think I have spent enough time in each to know the change is real.

Milk,
Here is a list of the changes between the two:
@Yoshoobaroo, thanks for the input. I forgot to mentioned that the 2017 model that i'm looking at doesn't comes with sach damper and brembo brake. The brembo brake model could cost as high as $49k.

@Tcoat the file helps a lot! It helps me realized the small changes here and there. I'll still need to test it out to see which one is more to my liking.
milkies27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
The stiffening, final drive and minor improvements in the suspension gave a much better driving experience. Over all the 2020 just seems more refined to me after driving it for a while that I didn't really catch on the short test drive.
I think 90% of the difference is in the suspension changes. I put 2017 shocks/springs/rear sway in my 13 and it’s much more comfortable and refined than before.

Also didn’t you come from RSR super downs on your sparkly brown car, @Tcoat?
Tcoat (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,134 Times in 457 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I think 90% of the difference is in the suspension changes. I put 2017 shocks/springs/rear sway in my 13 and it’s much more comfortable and refined than before.

Correct. They're super low boy RS*R 2" drop springs.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:

Yes but I also have spent many many hours driving or riding in others in my North American visitation tours. I think the only thing I have never been in is an RS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villainous_frx View Post
Correct. They're super low boy RS*R 2" drop springs.
Set plans for paint yet?
I miss my super low boy RS*R 2" drop springs. Every time I look at the Hakone I see a monster truck.
Yoshoobaroo (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes but I also have spent many many hours driving or riding in others in my North American visitation tours. I think the only thing I have never been in is an RS2.

Set plans for paint yet?
I miss my super low boy RS*R 2" drop springs. Every time I look at the Hakone I see a monster truck.
A 20mm drop does a lot for that. Whenever I look at my car now it looks about perfect for a DD.
It looks monster truck next to a friends 2" drop BRZ. But I actually have suspension travel so... Pros cons.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
A 20mm drop does a lot for that. Whenever I look at my car now it looks about perfect for a DD.
It looks monster truck next to a friends 2" drop BRZ. But I actually have suspension travel so... Pros cons.
Yep.
Gonna leave it as it is this year (damn you Covid) but next year I will probably look at adjustable coilovers so I can drop it in the summer and raise it in the winter.
Don't think that the new 86 bumper will do as good a job of plowing snow as the FRS did.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep.
Gonna leave it as it is this year (damn you Covid) but next year I will probably look at adjustable coilovers so I can drop it in the summer and raise it in the winter.
Don't think that the new 86 bumper will do as good a job of plowing snow as the FRS did.
I think the new bumper has more of a "scoop" to it than the old FRS bumper.

Plus its wider at the bottom so you get more snowplow per dollar!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #11
ElijahF
Not funny

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ Premium
Garage
Quote:
a list of the changes between the two:
Name:  Screenshot_20200717-212701.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  29.3 KB

Thanks Tcoat, very helpful.
To me, the FT-86 is a 85% complete package. The driver is supposed to fit the last few items in accordance with his personal preference. As stock, it shows potential, but distinctly deficient and cries out for the 'finishing touch'.
ElijahF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:17 AM   #12
wagonicfolding

Drives: Toyota Corolla
I may be biased, but if you want a 2017 for the updates it makes the most sense to go for a PP model. The difference between the limited and PP more than makes up for the slight difference in price, especially for a secondhand one. I’m sure you can find one that has been traded back in.
wagonicfolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:46 AM   #13
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Very interesting that these two reviews are different. I haven't driven a +'17 car , but I installed the last years a few +'17 factory parts in my '15 model. Every single part was improving a bit the car. The most noticeable change was the 4.3 final drive ratio, but I was coming from a stock 3.7 final drive ratio. A few EU cars were coming with this gearing for fuel consumption reasons.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
4.3 final drive ratio, but I was coming from a stock 3.7 final drive ratio.
That's a HUGE change! I'm sure you felt that! Going from 4.1 to 4.3 is not really noticeable IMO.

The biggest change for me was the suspension. I swapped 2017 Shocks/Springs/Sways on my 2013 a few years ago and it made the car more comfortable, more planted, and better behaved.

Aside from the suspension, the only 2017+ change I really liked was the new cluster with the info display, and track mode. I have since installed both into my 13 as well, works very nicely.

The PP shocks were too stiff at high frequencies, especially the front end bounces all over the place. The brakes felt slightly spongier than on my 13. I already had the facelift tail lights and ended up going back to the stock ones so that wasn't a huge bonus either, and I like the styling of the pre-facelift better overall.
nikitopo (07-19-2020)