follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #4887
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
We have customers who commute 25-30k a year with the supercharger on. Many do hit the 2 year mark first.

Jackson Racing Staff
Chris
More power to them!
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #4888
ShawnP19

Drives: 2016 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30kawi View Post
Not trying to sound too ignorant, but this is the first car I'll be adding FI to. So a bit new to me.

But I'll probably be taking the car into Austin somewhere to get dyno tuned after we install the SC
I was where you are. So first you need to decide on your tuner, and what platform he'll be using. 99% going to be EcuTek. What I did was bought my own cable/dongle (used, for about $250), then buy a license (1 time purchase per vehicle, check if you tuner is a EcuTek vendor and he'll probably discount/package deal), then have him whip up a base tune. Something to get you from your driveway to his shop, where he can fine tune things.

Remote tuning: same deal with the cable/dongle/license, but never leave your house. Correspond via email with the tuner, i.e. Delicious Tuning, HRI, MotoEast, etc. They send you a file, you flash it, do some logs for them, send them data, and the cycle repeats until it's done.

Hope this helps.

Edit: for clarity, I installed at home, and remote tuned. Dynotuned a year later. If I could go back, I would've skipped straight to dynotune.

Last edited by ShawnP19; 02-19-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Clarity
ShawnP19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShawnP19 For This Useful Post:
e30kawi (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #4889
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not trying to sound too ignorant, but this is the first car I'll be adding FI to. So a bit new to me.

But I'll probably be taking the car into Austin somewhere to get dyno tuned after we install the SC
Don't go somewhere for the tune if you don't want to turn your SC experience into a nightmare. If you can't buy CARB tune, the only recommendation I know is Delicious. Make sure you are getting a reliable tune.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #4890
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Don't go somewhere for the tune if you don't want to turn your SC experience into a nightmare. If you can't buy CARB tune, the only recommendation I know is Delicious. Make sure you are getting a reliable tune.
Why would one not want a custom tune if they don't have to be carb compliant?
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #4891
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
He’s saying don’t just pick some random shop and entrust them with your vehicle if they don’t have extensive experience tuning our platform, especially for FI. Make sure you do your research and pick a reputable shop with experience, if not, turning to some of the remote tuning options like Delicious Tuning or Moto-East/Xero-Limit would be your best option.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-19-2019), e30kawi (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #4892
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
CARB tune is very reliable, smooth, and efficient. By getting a custom tune you are not necessarily getting something better. The quality of the tune can be drastically different based on who is doing it. You are boosting a 12.5 compression engine, tune is not easy. Good luck!
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
e30kawi (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #4893
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd like to weigh in. You might tune it yourself, or get an off the shelf tune like delicious, and later on down the road ull probably decide to do it right and dyno tune it. Skip paying for one, then the other, and just dyno tune it right off the bat, this way you save money by not buying delicious, and then dyno time. Just go straight to dyno. You'll get the full potential out of your s/c kit investement.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
e30kawi (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #4894
e30kawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
I'd like to weigh in. You might tune it yourself, or get an off the shelf tune like delicious, and later on down the road ull probably decide to do it right and dyno tune it. Skip paying for one, then the other, and just dyno tune it right off the bat, this way you save money by not buying delicious, and then dyno time. Just go straight to dyno. You'll get the full potential out of your s/c kit investement.
That's what I've been wanting to do. A buddy is going to help me install it in a couple months so I have time to figure it out. He said there's a couple of ways we can install it and cruise it to whatever tuner I find without having to put a tune on it.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #4895
J1Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post

Dyno Tuning is only going to be better if that tuner is competent w/ both EcuTek and the 86 platform, and more specifically with FI. If the tuner isn't an expert with our platform, you are probably looking at more harm than good. Delicious is hands down one of the best, if not the best, remote tuner, out there with our platform. It would be foolish not to go with them if you can't find a reputable and experienced tuner.

Quote:
That's what I've been wanting to do. A buddy is going to help me install it in a couple months so I have time to figure it out. He said there's a couple of ways we can install it and cruise it to whatever tuner I find without having to put a tune on it.

I would ensure you get a base map (you will need a Ecutek license, dongle, and cable to upload) from "whatever tuner you find" before you even consider driving it to them. You will most certainly run into significant issues if you attempt to run your car w/ FI on the stock map.
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #4896
ShawnP19

Garage
Quote:
Yeahhhhh I would highly advise against even turning the engine on without some sort of base tune....let alone "cruise" to the nearest tuner.

Last edited by ShawnP19; 02-20-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: missing key word
e30kawi (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #4897
ShawnP19

Garage
Here's a thread discussing Texas based tuners. I only skimmed, so I won't pretend to know anything about it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68287
mrg666 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #4898
e30kawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnP19 View Post
Yeahhhhh I would highly advise against even turning the engine on without some sort of base tune....let alone "cruise" to the nearest tuner.
Thanks for the input. I'll keep doing some research. The friend making the suggestions has worked for speed shops and worked on some gnarly cars, personal and legit race cars. He suggested we could just vent the SC to atmosphere and run the stock intake until you get it to the shop. Not sure how one does that. The dude is sharp, even after he quit to go back to school to get his engineering degree, they called him up to keep working and fly him in or all over the US to work on their cars. He's vastly more knowledgeable than I am about all of this. But I may just get a box tune just to be safe, but like someone else said, no sense in paying for it twice.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #4899
J1Avs

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'll keep doing some research. The friend making the suggestions has worked for speed shops and worked on some gnarly cars, personal and legit race cars. He suggested we could just vent the SC to atmosphere and run the stock intake until you get it to the shop. Not sure how one does that. The dude is sharp, even after he quit to go back to school to get his engineering degree, they called him up to keep working and fly him in or all over the US to work on their cars. He's vastly more knowledgeable than I am about all of this. But I may just get a box tune just to be safe, but like someone else said, no sense in paying for it twice.

Definitely can't keep the stock intake installed w/the JRSC installed. IIRC removing it is one of the first steps of the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
e30kawi (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #4900
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked into the FNG tunes from Delicious? It's ridiculously simple and fast. Everyone's different but I just went with a FNG tune from Delicious when I installed my flex fuel kit. Actually fixed a lot of bugs that I had in a misbehaved CARB tune. Not to say the CARB tune is bad at all, plenty are successfully running it. But when it installed on my car it did not like it one bit.

I would recommend just getting a nice FNG tune and having some logs done to fine tune it. I bet they have done hundreds of tunes for the JRSC and have a fairly good knowledge around them
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote