follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2021, 05:46 AM   #29
TRS

Drives: 2013' Toyota 86 (EU spec)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4spl View Post
Feel free to send me an idler bracket for driver side head and ill fix this ��
Just make one as I did. Did you check out the belt routing I chose? You can do a similar solution with simple materials. In my case the bracket is not that simple since I needed a very exact idler position to have room for my airbox design and as well a part of the AC Routing is integrated. Thats why I made a milled part from billet material. But I assume you dont Plan to keep AC, so this might be overkill.

You can do pretty much the same for cheap. Just use three simple equal length steel tubes and a 5mm steel plate. Stick long screws through plate and tubes and fix against the left head. Then you need the two GM idlera, one flat one with rips. You can go with the exact same routing as I did of you like to. All Information about that is given in my swap thread. With this solution, you also can freely decide for the exact postion of the added idler by instaling the belt with tensioner moved all the way to the right and then mark the position on the plate. You can then put a threaded hole in the plate at this position.

Edit: Just recognized that I never uploaded a good picture of my routing. Here is one, parts used are Liste in this thread.

Last edited by TRS; 03-14-2021 at 06:04 AM.
TRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #30
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I do plan to run with A/C. What radiator do you plan to use?
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #31
TRS

Drives: 2013' Toyota 86 (EU spec)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I first installed the Skunk2Ultra with integrted oil cooler. But I found out that it is not a good idea to have an integrted oil cooler, since the core area in the 86 is too small to take also the heat of the oil. As well the core design of the Skunk2 is far from ideal. The fins are very wide and do not have the best geometry. So compared to its size it is not performing very good. As well I used the Mishimoto fan shroud, what turned out to be a big part of the issue. The A/C radiator was always a new OEM unit. I ran into serious overheating issues under 30°C and up outside temps when driving slow, Stop&Go, and with A/C.

I then switched to a koyorad aluminium radiator. This is not the best unit you can buy as well, but suitable and a good bang for the bug. As well I did throw out the Mishimoto for the OEM unit, which in fact produces a noticable higher airflow. For oil Im running a setrab slimline cooler mounted under the front crash bar. Its about 600mm wide and 120mm tall. It is also available in a taller Version, up to 240mm I believe. This unit would fit in the same place, but would take most of the direct airflow through the front grill. So I decided for a compromise.

And last but not least I changed the fan switching temp about 15°C down. Im running a OEM GM ECU with mainly OEM settings and they seem to have very high switching points.

After that the car is running OK. Not realy cool with plenty of marging, but OK.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #32
all4spl

Made some updated posts for you guys. Progress is slow but surely.
The Following User Says Thank You to all4spl For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (01-12-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #33
Q8D

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very nice work. What manifolds are those? They look like vette manifolds? How's the collector clearance?
Q8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #34
all4spl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8D View Post
Very nice work. What manifolds are those? They look like vette manifolds? How's the collector clearance?
Everything fits perfectly. And yes c6 manifolds. Pricey, but fit perfectly.