follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2023, 02:04 PM   #15
Breezer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrz View Post
...Wheels, Turbo kit, and some clean visual mods...Youtube videos you guys can point me towards so I can learn a bit about this platform?...
Quote:
...I plan on swapping out the stock wheels and tires...
Quote:
...the manual transmission is another huge pro for the driving experience...
#1, disconnect the fake exhaust noise.
For visual mods, wheels and rear spoiler wing. I don't have a practical reason to have a wing on my car, but I think some versions look great.
Choose a tire, then get the best wheel that will fit it.
Install ARP extended wheel studs and get open-ended lug nuts. If you plan to "mod", you'll be removing the wheels often. Longer studs provide room to hang the wheel while installing or removing the nuts. The OEM studs are annoyingly short, and they are not robust either. Long open-ended nuts are much easier to handle than short acorn nuts.
The clutch engagement point and pedal feel takes some getting used to. I didn't care for the aftermarket pedal spring, but it's worth a try to see if it works for you. That is if you have issues with stalling.
While BRZ acceleration lacks the head snapping torque of an electric motor, it is not woefully inadequate. Live with it a while before focusing on engine enhancements.

After watching a few videos, let the algorithm lead you onward.
Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:40 PM   #16
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I plan to dump about 8k into the BRZ, maybe 12 if I can find enough mods to peak my interest. Wheels, Turbo kit, and some clean visual mods, nothing crazy like air ride or an engine swap.
Let me just say, if you want to buy quality stuff, you're WAAAAAY underestimating the budget.

Just my coilovers/RLCA/toe kit and rear sway links, wheels, tires, and cheaper catback. Were $8k, if I had bought an ARK catback exhaust it would have been $9k. A properly done, quality turbo kit is going to be around $10k on it's own. And I only bought 8th gen Fortune Auto 500s, had I gone with MCS from Vorshlag, XIDA from 949Racing or similar, add another $3k.

And those prices assume you're doing all the work, paying a shop? Add thousands more.

That doesn't include the $2500 I spent on PPF for the bumper/headlights, full ceramic coating and window tint.

So you can see real quick you're almost back to the cost of a new RS3. This isn't to discourage you if you want one, it's just to show you need to be realistic about what things cost.
alex87f (01-24-2023), x808drifter (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #17
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 86 really is the type of car you want to drive before you own it. Sit in it, put on a few miles of city / roads / hwy, and you'll know whether it's for you.

However, having such a budget and wanting to heavily mod it is akin to making a square peg fit a round hole. With enough hammering, it'll fit. But there are easier alternatives (*cough* Supra).

It's also money out the window, what with mods and resale, etc.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (01-24-2023), OkieSnuffBox (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:23 PM   #18
AsphaltJ

Drives: FR-S '15 Asphalt/Legacy GT '05 Blck
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Let me just say, if you want to buy quality stuff, you're WAAAAAY underestimating the budget.

Just my coilovers/RLCA/toe kit and rear sway links, wheels, tires, and cheaper catback. Were $8k, if I had bought an ARK catback exhaust it would have been $9k. A properly done, quality turbo kit is going to be around $10k on it's own. And I only bought 8th gen Fortune Auto 500s, had I gone with MCS from Vorshlag, XIDA from 949Racing or similar, add another $3k.

And those prices assume you're doing all the work, paying a shop? Add thousands more.

That doesn't include the $2500 I spent on PPF for the bumper/headlights, full ceramic coating and window tint.

So you can see real quick you're almost back to the cost of a new RS3. This isn't to discourage you if you want one, it's just to show you need to be realistic about what things cost.
My experience was on the complete opposite of OkieSnuffBOX.
Bought the car (2015 FR-S) with 10k km. Bought a Gruppe-S header at 550$ CAD used. Open flash tablet 500$ CAD used. An ST Suspensions XT coilover set with the camber plate used for 900$ CAD. 720 form wheels (15.5 lbs each) for 600$ CAD used but perfect condition. Of course you can spend a lot of money, but this platform is not costly to buy and to run. It all depends on you!
AsphaltJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AsphaltJ For This Useful Post:
ACT86 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:52 PM   #19
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltJ View Post
My experience was on the complete opposite of OkieSnuffBOX.
Bought the car (2015 FR-S) with 10k km. Bought a Gruppe-S header at 550$ CAD used. Open flash tablet 500$ CAD used. An ST Suspensions XT coilover set with the camber plate used for 900$ CAD. 720 form wheels (15.5 lbs each) for 600$ CAD used but perfect condition. Of course you can spend a lot of money, but this platform is not costly to buy and to run. It all depends on you!
That's because you ignored the first sentence of what you quoted.

My Advans, with center caps were $2800. $1000 for tires. Throw in the ceramic coating on the wheels and you're at $4k for new wheels and tires.

Sure you can get deals on used, OK parts. But I'm guessing someone who was driving a $60k+ Audi isn't out buying used a twin and used rep parts.
Wally86 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #20
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey all!

I lost my 2020 RS3 to a T bone, a guy with no insurance ran a red light and fucked me up. Car totaled and I got a large check from my insurance. I plan to buy a BRZ outright in cash, (2022/2023) and wanted to start looking at mods. I plan to dump about 8k into the BRZ, maybe 12 if I can find enough mods to peak my interest. Wheels, Turbo kit, and some clean visual mods, nothing crazy like air ride or an engine swap.

I've heard good things about the 2.4 so far, a step up from the 2.0 engine. Any good beginner articles or Youtube videos you guys can point me towards so I can learn a bit about this platform?

That's tough. RS3s are amazing with that bulletproof engine. You won't be able to beat that power.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:39 PM   #21
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Considering how many people modded their 86/brz/frs on this forum, I’m surprised to see most post indicating it’s best not to mod it :-) this platform is a canvas for people to make it what they want it to be, unpretentious and very engaging to drive. R&D for FI on the second gen is just beginning, so it’s a bit early, but the good news is that you can enjoy it as it is and gradually tweak and improve it. I’ve had my 2013 brz for 10 years now, built it to my liking and will be hard pressed to chose something else the day it will decide to go… and if you do not plan to track the car, there are lots of potential concerns you just won’t have to worry about for street driving. This car can become many different things to different people, so it really depends on what you’re looking for.. it also doesn’t need much if anything to be fun. If you haven’t test driven it yet, that’d be a worthwhile next step.
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
ACT86 (01-27-2023), Wally86 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 07:32 PM   #22
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Get a used Cayman and enjoy. Not much need to mod for the street.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #23
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
#1, disconnect the fake exhaust noise.
For visual mods, wheels and rear spoiler wing. I don't have a practical reason to have a wing on my car, but I think some versions look great.
Choose a tire, then get the best wheel that will fit it.
Install ARP extended wheel studs and get open-ended lug nuts. If you plan to "mod", you'll be removing the wheels often. Longer studs provide room to hang the wheel while installing or removing the nuts. The OEM studs are annoyingly short, and they are not robust either. Long open-ended nuts are much easier to handle than short acorn nuts.
The clutch engagement point and pedal feel takes some getting used to. I didn't care for the aftermarket pedal spring, but it's worth a try to see if it works for you. That is if you have issues with stalling.
While BRZ acceleration lacks the head snapping torque of an electric motor, it is not woefully inadequate. Live with it a while before focusing on engine enhancements.

After watching a few videos, let the algorithm lead you onward.
I felt the stock clutch is perfect. The first 500 miles it was too finicky and temperamental … after the break in miles I find it perfect. I have been driving manuals for 18 years now so opinions vary. Depends on what type of cars you have driven as well in comparison that nobody takes into account on the specificity of someone’s opinion.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:11 AM   #24
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
Considering how many people modded their 86/brz/frs on this forum, I’m surprised to see most post indicating it’s best not to mod it :-) this platform is a canvas for people to make it what they want it to be, unpretentious and very engaging to drive. R&D for FI on the second gen is just beginning, so it’s a bit early, but the good news is that you can enjoy it as it is and gradually tweak and improve it. I’ve had my 2013 brz for 10 years now, built it to my liking and will be hard pressed to chose something else the day it will decide to go… and if you do not plan to track the car, there are lots of potential concerns you just won’t have to worry about for street driving. This car can become many different things to different people, so it really depends on what you’re looking for.. it also doesn’t need much if anything to be fun. If you haven’t test driven it yet, that’d be a worthwhile next step.
there is a difference between modding for aesthetics, and modding for power.

most of what's been talked about so far is modding for power, and the known restrictions of the platform, which is what the OP wanted to know. no one said to not do it, just that this isn't a 2jz that can just simply manage 500 hp on the stock motor with only a tune, a few wrenches, and a turbo/manifold.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #25
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
there is a difference between modding for aesthetics, and modding for power.

most of what's been talked about so far is modding for power, and the known restrictions of the platform, which is what the OP wanted to know. no one said to not do it, just that this isn't a 2jz that can just simply manage 500 hp on the stock motor with only a tune, a few wrenches, and a turbo/manifold.
Certainly… Time will tell, but the 2nd gen seems to have a bit of reinforcements in the engine and tranny department relative to the first gen, which has been modded reliably to 270-300whp or more (70% to 100% increase over stock) by many (myself included), so It would be reasonable to expect the FA24 to be able to achieve at least that and possibly a bit more, since its baseline is already quite a bit higher than the stock first gen. And being significantly lighter than most more “powerful” car, one can really reach a nice power 2 weight ratio without going crazy, while benefiting the handling of a lightweight car.
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-28-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 01:48 AM   #26
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
That's cuz Toyobaru did such a good job with the baseline car that you dont really need to mod it unless you actually "maxed" out its potential first.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-30-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:04 AM   #27
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Personally, most people on this forum have the mod bug/disease. We literally have no choice but to change something for some reason. This is not always rational and it’s fine, as it’s your car and money.

But you can learn something from this 50 year old who is now in the process of undoing multiple mods on my 04 WRX wagon. When I was 30 I thought I was a rally racer, so I modded the wagon as a rally battle wagon. No rallying ever occurred BTW. Well now at 50 I cannot stand the stiff suspension and god awful urethane bushings that could shake loose a filling over railroad tracks. Also I can feel every one of those little black crack filling lines on the highway. Going back to comfort for this car.

Lesson learned is you can go to far. Don’t get me wrong the car handled about as good as a wagon econobox with a turbo could, but it can wear on you when you are just driving from a to b. You live and learn, I don’t truly regret it, other than the expense. I am much smarter about my mods now. Also, I do one mod at a time so I can evaluate with the butt dyno.

Cosmetic mods or mods to improve a deficiency in a car for autoxor tracking are perfectly fine. Just be smart about them and as the cost rises, think about that opportunity cost.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
dowroa (02-05-2023), soundman98 (02-05-2023), vindiesel (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #28
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@ Ernest72 , I completely agree with you, but I think this is advice that falls on deaf ears to younger individuals as they haven't had the experiences yet.

As someone who autoXed a lot 20 years ago, I quickly learned what did and didn't matter, most of which was the driver, tires, alignment and about nothing else.

The best advice aside from that is to have a purpose to what you are doing so it is at least focused.

Thanks for your sage input, @earnest72. I just don't think it will be utilized in this thread.

- brian, 05 STI STU
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
Ernest72 (02-05-2023), vindiesel (02-05-2023)