follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
GhostShield
Banned

Drives: 2013 silver FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSure View Post
I believe 3M makes a spray on clear bra too.
That stuff isn't a very permanent rock chip preventor. It peels off really easy and wouldn't with stand a hard impact like real paint protection film. I'd say a practical use for it is like a track day, better then painters tape hahaha
GhostShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
GhostShield
Banned

This was on an 02 BMW 328i. It's 10 year old 3m film. Same exact shit they sell today. They have barely changed the film in that long! Can you say behind the 8 ball haha If your film ever starts getting remotely bad looking, peel it off! Then grab a beer, stand back and admire your rock chip free front end!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #17
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolognaWalrus View Post
hunting camo; how to ruin your car in one easy step.
It's temporary bud, cool thing about vynil, it isn't permanent.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #18
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Why do chips still happen even with clear bra's? Why do some of them take off paint while taking them off? It seems to ruin the gloss as clearly seen in your pictures. Is there any way to not have it look duller than the shiny factory finish?
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShield View Post
I know guys I'm not crazy about my camo but I just had scrap from a job and was messing around with it. I hate how the 86 badge is molded into that plastic piece. I'm all about badge less. I HATE badges. Hate hate hate them! If you don't know the car just by the looks and lines then you aren't a car guy and don't need to know my car. Probably gunna re wrap the 86 badge plate in carbon fibre film soon.
I'm a redneck at heart tho so I like letting the local liberals and chumps this cars driven by a gun toating bad ass haha
Quote:
Plus got an NRA circle membership small sticker on the rear window.
Quote:
Plus got an NRA circle membership small sticker on the rear window.

What do you guys think of the
Quote:
What do you guys think of the clear bra? Any questions?
I sure am glad you're allowed to carry a weapon, you seem like a smart and well-adjusted individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
Why do chips still happen even with clear bra's? Why do some of them take off paint while taking them off? It seems to ruin the gloss as clearly seen in your pictures. Is there any way to not have it look duller than the shiny factory finish?
This is my issue with Clear Bras - sure, the paint doesn't get rock chips, but they look like crap unless you've got a white car and even then they take a lot of depth and color out of the paint.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XanRules For This Useful Post:
Husker BRZ (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
Turbo95eg6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanRules View Post

This is my issue with Clear Bras - sure, the paint doesn't get rock chips, but they look like crap unless you've got a white car and even then they take a lot of depth and color out of the paint.
Is it really less visible on white?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it really less visible on white?
Lighter colors don't show the lines/seams as much in my experience.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #22
GhostShield
Banned

I live in Cali man. Can't carry or concealed carry here. We all have our opinions about guns but I promise you this! Legal and responsible gun ownership keeps this great country free and free of a tyrannical government. Ie why Nobama wants to take them away so he can get radical with his crazy ideas. I'm done talking this now. It's not the proper place for such conversations. And it's all opinion.

As far as the color of the car, it doesn't matter or look any better or worse on any color. Lighter colors will hide seams and edges better. Darker colors will show wax build up on the edges, but you can clean the edges off with some rubbing alcohol. I'm just cautious when I wax as to not slop that shit everywhere. Also not to waste my wax.

As far as clear bra making the paint dull or less glossy or not as deep, your incorrect. Suntek makes the paint more glossy and it has depth that you don't have to constantly polish into a painted surface. Imagine a black car that's completely covered in Suntek PPF. You'd never get swirl, it would always have a deep gloss to it. Wash as normal and spray wax the bra and your good to go.

Obviously it won't stop a brick tumbling down the highway that hits your car but it will stop most of the standard rock chips and scratches. Suntek is also scratch resistant. I have it on my iphone screen and scratch the shit out of it with my keys to demo for people and literally it won't scratch, minor like streaks and 10 min later from my body heat in my pocket and the scratches are gone!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:43 AM   #23
Turbo95eg6

Well, I can clearly see from the silver FRS that once you applied the film, it lost some gloss. Sure you see this as well. Looking at the picture of the roof, the lights reflecting off the film does not look as clear as light reflecting off fresh clear coat. It should look like a mirror, instead of the wavy orange peel effect.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Well, I can clearly see from the silver FRS that once you applied the film, it lost some gloss. Sure you see this as well. Looking at the picture of the roof, the lights reflecting off the film does not look as clear as light reflecting off fresh clear coat. It should look like a mirror, instead of the wavy orange peel effect.
I can ensure you it's just from my cell phone camera.
Atleast my whole car will never get a chip or scratch!!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #25
GhostShield
Banned

And I just looked at the pictures again. You
Can clearly count how many bulbs are in my lamp fixtures at the shop and the logo on the wall looks like it's mirrored onto my roof. Idk what you think your seeing.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
GhostShield
Banned

I promise you SuNtek has less orange peel than paint.
Only paint I've seen that has no orange peel are cars that have been color sanded cut polished and waxed by a professional detailer.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #27
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do you do all the lines and contours of the bottom part of the bumper? This was my problem with clear bra, two different places I went too said they couldn't/won't do it because they'll never get it to look good and stay on, and that's the main part I want to protect, the hood is pretty low risk, the only Benifit in my eyes was the front fenders, but not worth the cost if your whole bottom bumper is still gunna eat shit.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
Do you do all the lines and contours of the bottom part of the bumper? This was my problem with clear bra, two different places I went too said they couldn't/won't do it because they'll never get it to look good and stay on, and that's the main part I want to protect, the hood is pretty low risk, the only Benifit in my eyes was the front fenders, but not worth the cost if your whole bottom bumper is still gunna eat shit.
Yeah I know what your saying. Yes the whole under side of the bumper can be covered. I use XPEL patterns which are the best money can buy, I've tested a lot of pattern companies and XPEL is the best.
Basically the main bumper is all one piece, then the center lower piece that runs sideways below the radiator is a seperate piece that seems up to the main bumper piece. The lower edges of the kit are low enough that you can easily seem another piece and cover the whole under side of the bumper. I'd trim around the bolts and clips and cover all the paint down there.
It's definitely possible No problem. This one detailer I work for has me add that piece to every job I do for him.
If you wanna get real crazy to you can double up the film and do multiple layers down there so if you hit a parking curb it won't go through. Only one layer of film would stop most parking curb damage but wouldn't stop it all.
The hood is way more damage prone then the fenders. I took a hit on my hood coming home from the dealer as I was on the way to the shop to wrap the car. Fenders are always less chip prone on all cars.

Tags
clear bra, paint protection film, thousand oaks