follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_man View Post
Toyota proposed me electric rustproofing, at first I was like..meh its crap...but it comes with a lifetime warranty on surface rust. So I guess I'll give it a try myself. Oh and you can transfer it from car to car and keep warranty.
Honestly, maybe it changed but I've read bad stuff about electric rustproofing devices... What I read was that yes it can/could work, but only about up to 3 inches around the device.... Would do some search before buying...
Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
Duff_man

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
Honestly, maybe it changed but I've read bad stuff about electric rustproofing devices... What I read was that yes it can/could work, but only about up to 3 inches around the device.... Would do some search before buying...

Honestly if it dosen't work It's gonna be their problem since it comes with a warranty agains't any rust. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna use it during winter but if I do I need good rustproofing..and thinking of any oil/wax/grease method makes me want to puke... So I'll try this one out hehe!
Duff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #31
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_man View Post
Honestly if it dosen't work It's gonna be their problem since it comes with a warranty agains't any rust. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna use it during winter but if I do I need good rustproofing..and thinking of any oil/wax/grease method makes me want to puke... So I'll try this one out hehe!
x2... even if I'll probably go that route
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #32
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
never in direct sunlight, and if you drop whatever spoge/ shami on the ground, don't use it again unless you love swirl scratches. Major wax jobs at the change of each season.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #33
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Every weekend: 2 bucket method with a grit gaurd, Optimum No-Rinse, warm water, and a sheepskin mitt. Dry with waffle weave.

If the car is really dirty: 2 bucket method with a grit guard. Megs car wash, warm water, and a sheepskin mitt. Dry with waffle weave.

Blackfire Wet Diamond for sealant. Optimum Quick Detailer for bird crap (at work). Stoners Invisible Glass for windows (safe on tint). 303 Aerospace Protectant for plastic pieces. Megs Tire Gel for tires. Chemical Guys Black on Black for exterior plastic pieces.

Thats pretty much all the products I use on a regular basis. If the car is swirled, then I break out the PC and Megs 105/205 and polish away.

For method - I didnt read all the replies but I did see some very good pointers. Dont push on the mitt/sponge. Just use the weight of it do the cleaning. If there is something on the paint being stubborn, you need a stronger cleaner, not a stronger wipe.

Always use 2 buckets. I need to find a pic that I took a while ago, but when youre done with the wash, the bucket with soap should still be clean. The rinse bucket should be the dirty one. If its really dirty, you may need to dump that water half way through the wash and refill with clean water.

Never wash in direct sunlight. Make sure the surface is cool too.

Use a stiff brush on the tires to get all the nastiness off. That allows the tire shine to adhere much better.

When drying, I use my wet/dry vac on blow to get most of the water off. Then use a waffle weave to wipe away the rest. Again, dont scrub with the towel. Let the towel absorb the water. Most of the time, I dont need to wipe across a panel. I just lay the towel over it, pat on it, and it absorbs everything. That keeps marring/swirling to a minimum.

When applying tire shine, I use a special sponge dedicated specifically for that task. I use a gel, so I usually let it sit over night to soak in. If I dont have the time, I wipe it on, wait about 5-10 minutes (usually enough to do the last tire), then go back to the first one with a towel to wipe off the excess. Tire shine fling is no fun.

I hate cleaning windows because I suck at it. I cant give you any pointers on that.
Dang Lad (05-29-2012), kwood9000 (05-13-2012), Xiao (05-13-2012), YukiHachiRoku (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #34
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
I just have a few tips:

I wash the car at sundown.

I don't use dish soap.

I clean the interior first.

I don't use any "Armorall" on the interior, just a clean damp rag and dry rag.

If you're going to wax and poilsh, save your arms and buy an orbital buffer.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
i'm a bit ocd but i hate water spots. i use distilled water with optimum no rinse for my quick wipes.

i'm going to avoid traditional water bucket washes unless the car is just really dirty.

the water here has too much minerals in it. you need to dry it really quick, otherwise you'll get water spots.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #36
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
this thread has info on how to do a bucketless wash.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=138013
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #37
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
don't use dish soap.
THIS!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #38
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
Every weekend: 2 bucket method with a grit gaurd, Optimum No-Rinse, warm water, and a sheepskin mitt. Dry with waffle weave.

If the car is really dirty: 2 bucket method with a grit guard. Megs car wash, warm water, and a sheepskin mitt. Dry with waffle weave.

Blackfire Wet Diamond for sealant. Optimum Quick Detailer for bird crap (at work). Stoners Invisible Glass for windows (safe on tint). 303 Aerospace Protectant for plastic pieces. Megs Tire Gel for tires. Chemical Guys Black on Black for exterior plastic pieces.

Thats pretty much all the products I use on a regular basis. If the car is swirled, then I break out the PC and Megs 105/205 and polish away.

For method - I didnt read all the replies but I did see some very good pointers. Dont push on the mitt/sponge. Just use the weight of it do the cleaning. If there is something on the paint being stubborn, you need a stronger cleaner, not a stronger wipe.

Always use 2 buckets. I need to find a pic that I took a while ago, but when youre done with the wash, the bucket with soap should still be clean. The rinse bucket should be the dirty one. If its really dirty, you may need to dump that water half way through the wash and refill with clean water.

Never wash in direct sunlight. Make sure the surface is cool too.

Use a stiff brush on the tires to get all the nastiness off. That allows the tire shine to adhere much better.

When drying, I use my wet/dry vac on blow to get most of the water off. Then use a waffle weave to wipe away the rest. Again, dont scrub with the towel. Let the towel absorb the water. Most of the time, I dont need to wipe across a panel. I just lay the towel over it, pat on it, and it absorbs everything. That keeps marring/swirling to a minimum.

When applying tire shine, I use a special sponge dedicated specifically for that task. I use a gel, so I usually let it sit over night to soak in. If I dont have the time, I wipe it on, wait about 5-10 minutes (usually enough to do the last tire), then go back to the first one with a towel to wipe off the excess. Tire shine fling is no fun.

I hate cleaning windows because I suck at it. I cant give you any pointers on that.
We should open up a high end boutique car wash together! :happy0180:
(and charge $100 for each wash) lol

oh and for the windows, an old trick/tip I was once taught, use newspaper, with just a lil bit of windex spray, and wipe it, it will leave zero streaks and gets all the smudges out beautifully.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (05-11-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #39
Celicadude

Drives: Celica gts
I've been detailing cars for 10 years now, and I never, ever, let anyone else touch my car. Not even those stupid automatic washes at the gas station. I've worked at some of these quick wash places and if your want tons of scratches and swirl marks all over your car. Their goal is to cut costs, charge low prices and get as many people through as possible. This of course leads to terrible washing methods, cheap products used on your car, and poorly trained employees. There are tons of detailing sites that have awesome tips and tutorials. But if you are just starting out invest in two buckets (one for soap and one for rinse) a good wash mitt, and a quality car wash soap. Always clay bar before wax. And use only clean applicators and micro fibers when applying and removing wax. Just dont get obsessed like I do and spend a week detailing your car only for it to rain on you once you're done .
Celicadude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celicadude For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #40
Brian S

Drives: Hinda Civic
with water...
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #41
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yponMLIyFcI"]How to Wash Your Car Properly - YouTube[/ame]
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZetaVI For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (05-24-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #42
Dr.Science

Drives: Formerly: WRB BRZ LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
We should open up a high end boutique car wash together! :happy0180:
(and charge $100 for each wash) lol

oh and for the windows, an old trick/tip I was once taught, use newspaper, with just a lil bit of windex spray, and wipe it, it will leave zero streaks and gets all the smudges out beautifully.
I would stay away from Windex on your car windows if you have a tint, because of the ammonia. Find a glass cleaner without ammonia to be safe.
Dr.Science is offline   Reply With Quote