follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutanks View Post
Isn't there a forum for FRS/BRZ vs. X?

Everyone i have mentioned to that I am about to get an FR-S is saying "get an STI/ WRX" or "get a GTI or Focus ST" Umm no...I desire an impractical RWD vehicle.

Hondas just don't do it for me anyways and the radio looks impossible to swap for an aftermarket which is a deal-breaker
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Everyone you mention it to obviously likes to read bench racing reviews and look at number comparisons. If you want big numbers then listen to them. Otherwise tell them to buy their own car.
wireman957 (04-27-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #30
Kutanks

Drives: 2013 Firestorm 6MT,2005 Saabaru 5MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Everyone you mention it to obviously likes to read bench racing reviews and look at number comparisons. If you want big numbers then listen to them. Otherwise tell them to buy their own car.
Very true, and I already have another car to get me to work in a snow-storm or to pick up more than one other person. It's not like you can use all the power in a STI on the street anyways.
Kutanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Very true, and I already have another car to get me to work in a snow-storm or to pick up more than one other person. It's not like you can use all the power in a STI on the street anyways.
I use mine in snow storms and pick up two people every once in a while. Mind you the resulting war between the grandsons over who has to sit in the back makes an STi look pretty good some days.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #32
Kutanks

So to update I picked up the car two weeks ago. So far I've ordered center console badge for the blank space, husky liners, and new cabin air filter and engine air filters.

Drives great, I had Toyota do an oil change and Ecu Update for the idle TSB just in case since it was free

Only "problem" is my MPG average is quite poor 25mpg. I have brand new tires though and it's been quite wet here. Should improve when it warms up and I have the chance to take it on longer trips.

I'm trying to figure out where to mount my phone (for Waze)...I was going to swap the stereo but I actually like the stock system and it sounds ok with a 10" sub in the trunk...I may try a CD player mount since the vent one I use in my other car doesn't work here
Old 04-27-2017, 08:04 AM   #33
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Browse the whole TSB sticky section, print any out that even remotely might apply, and bring them to your local dealer and have them check to see if they've been done yet. No sense dealing with something down the road that might already have a fix for it.

If you're actually in the Greater Boston area, 25mpg isn't too bad considering the type of driving involved in there. I mainly commute between Worcester and Westboro on Rt9, which basically consists of sitting at traffic lights for 2 or 3 cycles, then zooming up to 65 and then sitting at the next set of lights, and I average about 28. If I actually get out onto the highway to go somewhere, mileage is well into the mid 30's.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #34
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So to update I picked up the car two weeks ago. So far I've ordered center console badge for the blank space, husky liners, and new cabin air filter and engine air filters.

Drives great, I had Toyota do an oil change and Ecu Update for the idle TSB just in case since it was free

Only "problem" is my MPG average is quite poor 25mpg. I have brand new tires though and it's been quite wet here. Should improve when it warms up and I have the chance to take it on longer trips.

I'm trying to figure out where to mount my phone (for Waze)...I was going to swap the stereo but I actually like the stock system and it sounds ok with a 10" sub in the trunk...I may try a CD player mount since the vent one I use in my other car doesn't work here

Nope,the MPG more than likely won't get a whole lot better. I'm at 27.5 mpg with mostly highway miles.Oddly enough,I was at 27.7 before I put in a TRD air filter,then it dropped to 27.4.

As for a phone mount,I bought one that mounts to the CD player opening,since I never use that thing anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Holder-U...er+phone+mount

Works pretty damn good.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #35
Kutanks

Yeah I'll take a scroll through the rest of the TSBs. The fuel pump on th car was replaced and I make sure to fill up at 1/4 tank (or sooner).

In regards to the mileage I take a combination of route 1 and 128 so a lot of stop and go. I suppose it could be worse. I've been trying to limit driving the FRS to work 1 or two days a week, but of course I'm doing most of my personal driving with it. Might get a chance this weekend to do a mini road trip and see what the car can do there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kutanks For This Useful Post:
venturaII (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #36
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The gearing is short on these, so there's a big difference in highway mileage depending on how fast you're going.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #37
Kutanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
Nope,the MPG more than likely won't get a whole lot better. I'm at 27.5 mpg with mostly highway miles.Oddly enough,I was at 27.7 before I put in a TRD air filter,then it dropped to 27.4.

As for a phone mount,I bought one that mounts to the CD player opening,since I never use that thing anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Holder-U...er+phone+mount

Works pretty damn good.

Ended up ordering something similar. Also I was at CVS and found one of those FRS diecast models for $6 the same color as my car, couldn't pass it up lol.

Ended up driving to downtown Boston and tanking my MPG even more go figure. It was cool seeing people "check me out in the car" definitely noticing that happening more than with past rides, the red certainly stands out.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #38
Token11b

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just wait til you get a UEL and tune. Then you'll really see your mileage tank lmao.
Token11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #39
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Only "problem" is my MPG average is quite poor 25mpg.
Quote:
In regards to the mileage I take a combination of route 1 and 128 so a lot of stop and go. I suppose it could be worse.
Yeah, your commute mileage isn't going to get any better. I'm right there with you at about 25 mpg average, which is pretty close to EPA. I've gotten as high as 34 before.

If you can pop on the cruise control at 75mph or lower for a FULL tank you'll hit 30+ mpg no problem.

Last edited by strat61caster; 05-02-2017 at 12:48 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote