follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #29
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
450 for a little tablet that flashes a rom (not a tune) on your car that wasn't created with your engine or mods in mind that may make things better, worse or no change.

Or would you rather spend 650 for a custom tune that was created for your engine to give you the most reliable bump in power.

your car is worth $20000, is $200 really worth risking it?
You can have custom tune that shits the bed to though. You're trusting that the tuner knows what they are doing to make a reliable car, not a dyno queen. The beauty of OFT is you can data log and the user canmake changes using romraider (or have any tuner you trust make them).
Old 06-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #30
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
Damn dude, did Shiv murder your first born child? You're constantly bashing on the OFT.

Edit: you can also pay an additional 220 for the Openflash team to build you a custom tune, so you still come out ahead of the ecutek
just seen the "results" first hand. its a great marketing plan on shivs part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
You can have custom tune that shits the bed to though. You're trusting that the tuner knows what they are doing to make a reliable car, not a dyno queen. The beauty of OFT is you can data log and the user canmake changes using romraider (or have any tuner you trust make them).
you're right, which is why i trusted arguably the best tuner for our platform to create my tune. I can also data log if i need to and should there ever be an issue with my tune, I know I will be taken care of.

do you really think oft is going to do that if the OTS tune causes issues? and you feel safer running a shelved tune vs a custom one?

You may want to talk to the tuner you want to use on what they would like to use to tune your car. You might be surprised what you find out
Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #31
D_Thissen

Quote:
just seen the "results" first hand. its a great marketing plan on shivs part.

you're right, which is why i trusted arguably the best tuner for our platform to create my tune. I can also data log if i need to and should there ever be an issue with my tune, I know I will be taken care of.

do you really think oft is going to do that if the OTS tune causes issues? and you feel safer running a shelved tune vs a custom one?

You may want to talk to the tuner you want to use on what they would like to use to tune your car. You might be surprised what you find out
I completely agree with you that a custom tune is better for an individual car than an OTS (Ecutek or OFT). Unfortunately, not everyone has access to a great tuner, especially here in Canada. When I lived in Thunder Bay, the closest reputable tuner (Full blown) was some 6 hours (400 miles) away. For some people a custom tune is the way to go (boosted/highly modified cars), and for others (who just have a drop in filter and cat-back), an OTS tune is a good option.

The numbers speak for them selves, their are lots of people who run custom tunes with no issues and the same can be said for OTS tunes. All I'm saying is that their are different strokes for different folks and its a good thing that we are having this discussion because it means we have options
Old 06-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #32
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
The numbers speak for them selves,
do they really, because i've seen dyno numbers from people using an OTS tune, and some make little to no power over the stock tune. hope you get lucky and it isn't a case for you.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #33
D_Thissen

Quote:
do they really, because i've seen dyno numbers from people using an OTS tune, and some make little to no power over the stock tune. hope you get lucky and it isn't a case for you.

I meant the number of people using both custom tunes and OTS.

EDIT: OP sorry for the thread jack
Old 06-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #34
Chad_W

Drives: 2013 BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'd be curious to see this, where have you found these dynos? Are you talking about stage 1, stage 2 or both?
Chad_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #35
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_W View Post
I'd be curious to see this, where have you found these dynos? Are you talking about stage 1, stage 2 or both?
stg 2 and i've seen them in person and found some posted by people on the facebook groups. the thing is, most people who get OFT don't bother going to the dyno, they just load the file, have that placebo effect of, hey this tablet said it did something, FEELS GREAT, and never actually seeing what happened or knowing how to log or what to look for to ensure the car is running properly.
ramiram1984 (06-12-2015), Vroomin86 (06-14-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #36
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
some of these people probably don't have a local tuner or reputable tuner nearby... so they get the OFT OTS etc...
Old 06-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #37
cawith

Drives: Toyota GT86 6M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
OP, are you still happy with your new header? Do you feel any gain and has the sound changed after some driving?
Really considering this one myself!
cawith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #38
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawith View Post
OP, are you still happy with your new header? Do you feel any gain and has the sound changed after some driving?
Really considering this one myself!
Yes love the header. IMO one of the best mods you can do to these cars for the money. I've barely turned on the radio all week because i just enjoy the sound of this thing.
Like others have said, you'll need a tune to fully feel all the power an UEL header can give you. But i can honestly feel a difference currently without being tuned yet. Mainly from not having an extra restrictive cat in the header makes a huge difference. Highly recommend this product!
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamg For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-15-2015), cawith (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #39
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
There is nothing wrong with an Open Flash Tablet or an off-the-shelf (OTS) tune for this car (especially one for just a header). Off the shelf tunes are a good idea because generally speaking most of these engines run similarly and they use very similarly designed bolt on modifications. Additionally our own cars ECU constantly makes fine adjustments to keep the engine running safe. Running OTS tunes in these conditions lowers the cost of tuning. It works, it's successful (so much that other ECUtek tuners have begun to offer "flash and go" (OTS) tunes as well). Yes an in-house dyno tune can be better, but from what I've seen posted on a stock car with just a header an OTS tune will get you extremely close for a lot less money.

The idiot in this thread that's making claims of the OFT being "a low reliability marketing gimmick" but only giving anecdotal evidence will simply have his claim weighed against the thousands of people that have been running OFT tunes reliably and with increased power. There are probably hundreds that have posted these same positive results on this board and on FB. I've been here for a while, and I've never seen one claim that an OFT tuned car grenaded its' engine. Has anyone else? Not to mention all the other awesome features an OFT provides like data logging, quick map switching, digital gauges and alarms, and most importantly the ability to run e85. for @adamg e85 + your header will make you feel like you have a new car. Anyhow, with all those features that's a lot of value, power and safety for $500.

The above facts burn certain tuner fanbois so much they post phony crap like the Paulson dude. Btw lol @ his comment about having his car tuned by "the best tuner for this platform" or w/e, I mean really did his tuner win the tuner olympics or Iron Tuner or some chit.

to @adamg get a tune (OFT or otherwise) you won't regret it. Get an OFT, run e85 if you can, and you'll be VERY happy.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
adamg (06-14-2015), Bergen23 (06-15-2015), CatDaddysBBQ (03-28-2018), cawith (06-14-2015), D_Thissen (06-14-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-30-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #40
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:

20hp gain for OFT E85 tune, on STOCK header on man engineering maha dyno
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-15-2015), DAEMANO (06-15-2015), D_Thissen (06-14-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 03:27 AM   #41
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
450 for a little tablet that flashes a rom (not a tune) on your car that wasn't created with your engine or mods in mind that may make things better, worse or no change.

Or would you rather spend 650 for a custom tune that was created for your engine to give you the most reliable bump in power.

your car is worth $20000, is $200 really worth risking it?
An ecutek custom dyno tune for $650 ,?? licience is about 350 and off the shelf (flash and go) ecutek tune about 300 , free dyno time ??

Ecutek and oft or tactrx all flash roms , yes ecutek has some extra features map switch and flex fuel option if you want to spend extra on flex fuel kit but if your NA and on petrol or E85 the only difference is tuner who created tune.

One difference though is with oft or tactrix i can sell it for a good price and my ecu and tune is not locked.
Ecutek\Brzedit tuners lock the tunes to your ecu and licience\dongle else you could share them with your mates. They lock the tunes so it can only be read by the tuner whom created it. The reason they lock the ecu is because off the shelf tunes work quite well and you could share them with others will same mods by reading ecu with tactrix adapter.

The reason most tuners wont tune NA cars with oft or tactrix is because they cannot lock the tune or ecu, the tune process and flash process is the same. oft\tactrix\ecutek. I understand they need to make money and protect their work.

You cannot sell your ecutek tune or licience

All three are good options, pick the one that suits, all have benifits and drawbacks

Last edited by steve99; 06-15-2015 at 06:59 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-15-2015), DAEMANO (06-15-2015), D_Thissen (06-15-2015), FT86Z (12-11-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #42
crash

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
An ecutek custom dyno tune for $650 ,?? licience is about 350 and off the shelf (flash and go) ecutek tune about 300 , free dyno time ??

Ecutek and oft or tactrx all flash roms , yes ecutek has some extra features map switch and flex fuel option if you want to spend extra on flex fuel kit but if your NA and on petrol or E85 the only difference is tuner who created tune.

One difference though is with oft or tactrix i can sell it for a good price and my ecu and tune is not locked.
Ecutek\Brzedit tuners lock the tunes to your ecu and licience\dongle else you could share them with your mates. They lock the tunes so it can only be read by the tuner whom created it. The reason they lock the ecu is because off the shelf tunes work quite well and you could share them with others will same mods by reading ecu with tactrix adapter.

The reason most tuners wont tune NA cars with oft or tactrix is because they cannot lock the tune or ecu, the tune process and flash process is the same. oft\tactrix\ecutek. I understand they need to make money and protect their work.

You cannot sell your ecutek tune or licience

All three are good options, pick the one that suits, all have benifits and drawbacks

This. Saved $850+ using my buddy's tactrix and a free OTS tune from OFT. An open source community is a wonderful thing, but people have to make money some how.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote