follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #323
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
I hope we see some feedback on the BPB sooner than later. I am waiting on JDL to build my 4-2-1 now so I should be getting tuned in the next month or 2. If 949 gets the BPB to show real gains I will install a set along with the headers.
What MY are they using? I've been trying to find out if the BPB are useful with the 2017+ IM, but not finding any data. Crawford stopped answering my emails.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #324
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
What MY are they using? I've been trying to find out if the BPB are useful with the 2017+ IM, but not finding any data. Crawford stopped answering my emails.
949 is using a 2013 FR-S for their project car. Here is their build thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131052

I would think if the BPB can work for the black manifold, they would work the same for the red manifold. The manifolds perform essentially the same at NA horsepower levels. The black manifold actually has a larger plenum. I don't think there is even much data to show the red manifold can make more power with FI.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
Cephas (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #325
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
949 is using a 2013 FR-S for their project car. Here is their build thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131052

I would think if the BPB can work for the black manifold, they would work the same for the red manifold. The manifolds perform essentially the same at NA horsepower levels. The black manifold actually has a larger plenum. I don't think there is even much data to show the red manifold can make more power with FI.
I would think so as well, was just hoping somebody else already spent the money to find out.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #326
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Get it optimized then? What’s the issue? If I’m not mistaken cosworth uses this header.
I tried with OFT but you really need a dyno to get it right. Even with a dyno though you need a tuner that is familiar, or willing to put in the time to tune it as opposed to just get it to run right. I think that is why there are such wild variations with dynos from shop to shop with this header. The shops I talked to are not familiar with it which is funny cause nameless is about 1.5 hours from me. I have to go back to stock for classing anyway.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115389

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70141
Old 01-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #327
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
Can't say for sure, but since the actual intake ports didn't change I would bet it's fine.

If 949 comes out with really positive results, I'll just buy them and I'll be able to confirm if they fit with the 17+ manifold.
Cephas (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #328
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Can't say for sure, but since the actual intake ports didn't change I would bet it's fine.

If 949 comes out with really positive results, I'll just buy them and I'll be able to confirm if they fit with the 17+ manifold.
They have been confirmed to fit by a couple builds on IG.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #329
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I tried with OFT but you really need a dyno to get it right. Even with a dyno though you need a tuner that is familiar, or willing to put in the time to tune it as opposed to just get it to run right. I think that is why there are such wild variations with dynos from shop to shop with this header. The shops I talked to are not familiar with it which is funny cause nameless is about 1.5 hours from me. I have to go back to stock for classing anyway.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115389

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70141

I see. I should see how well my virtual/butt dyno tuned rom does on a physical dyno. The biggest downside is the underhood heat. I'm sure it's contributed to if not caused some premature ignition coil failures.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #330
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I see. I should see how well my virtual/butt dyno tuned rom does on a physical dyno. The biggest downside is the underhood heat. I'm sure it's contributed to if not caused some premature ignition coil failures.
The AVCS needs a lot of tweaking to get the most out of it. So street tuning became tiresome and to be honest, it was getting over my head as to what I am capable of.

I have actually never had a coil failure. Mine is ceramic coated and I have been running a hood duct for a few years now.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #331
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The AVCS needs a lot of tweaking to get the most out of it. So street tuning became tiresome and to be honest, it was getting over my head as to what I am capable of.

I have actually never had a coil failure. Mine is ceramic coated and I have been running a hood duct for a few years now.

I stopped short of hood vents. I have aluminum sheets shielding the airbox, ceramic coat with a lava rock fiber wrap on top. I dont like to cut anything OEM. I'm a bit ocd about things like that. going for drives in conditions condusive to good logs and actually staring at my logs is oddly meditative for me. I enjoy it. lol

You can say, I have developed a 'system' of logging and staring at logs before alterations. It's like daily meditation or ritual.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-08-2021), Thefalls (01-10-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #332
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Preparing to get these installed. I have 2 questions I was hoping you guys could help with:

1. What gaskets will I need to install the header and 2.5" overpipe with the stock exhaust?

2. I know harder motor mounts are recommended for the ACE. I could swear I read it was recommended for the JDL 4-2-1 as well, but I can't find it now. Has anyone had issues with the stock motor mounts and the JDL 4-2-1?
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #333
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Preparing to get these installed. I have 2 questions I was hoping you guys could help with:

1. What gaskets will I need to install the header and 2.5" overpipe with the stock exhaust?

2. I know harder motor mounts are recommended for the ACE. I could swear I read it was recommended for the JDL 4-2-1 as well, but I can't find it now. Has anyone had issues with the stock motor mounts and the JDL 4-2-1?
Congrats on the headers!

The header comes with graphite gaskets, not sure about the overpipe (I have the stock overpipe on my car). However, I just bought a set of Grimmspeed gaskets when installing the header. The set comes with the overpipe gaskets as well.

I've been running stock engine mounts and this header combo for 2 years. No issues.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #334
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Congrats on the headers!

The header comes with graphite gaskets, not sure about the overpipe (I have the stock overpipe on my car). However, I just bought a set of Grimmspeed gaskets when installing the header. The set comes with the overpipe gaskets as well.

I've been running stock engine mounts and this header combo for 2 years. No issues.

Saw your vids on the JDL 4-2-1. Love it! What was the sound like with just the headers? I'm looking for something a little bassier not too loud to pair with them and I cannot find any exhaust videos with EL headers out there.

Also, have you gotten around to trying the CSG touring86?
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #335
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
Saw your vids on the JDL 4-2-1. Love it! What was the sound like with just the headers? I'm looking for something a little bassier not too loud to pair with them and I cannot find any exhaust videos with EL headers out there.

Also, have you gotten around to trying the CSG touring86?

Thanks!

I got the R400 catback first (basically a month after I got the car) so unfortunately I don’t really know what the JDL header is like with the stock exhaust. However, poke and prod around and you’ll find a ton of people using the ACE A350 with the stock exhaust. I’d expect it to sound very similar, if not the exact same as the JDL 4-2-1 with the rest of the stock exhaust bits.

I’ve been mulling over selling the R400 and replacing it with the Touring86, or, trying that exhaust hanger swap (to the OEM part no. 44066AJ010).

I love the sound of the R400, don’t get me wrong. It was the perfect tone and volume with the stock header, and still maintains that perfect tone with the header.

However, with the header there is (obviously) a slight volume increase. It is not a problem at all in low-load city cruising (where it is still just as quiet as before and drone-less) and at WOT where it sounds flippin’ awesome without being too loud. But, on the highway it does drone from 120-125kph under a bit of load (going up an incline) with the JDL header.

If I was starting all over and buying a catback again, I’d definitely go with the Touring86 knowing that I’d be pairing it with a header since it is specifically designed to do so.

Then again - it looks like the exhaust hanger trick has worked for quite a few people to kill that drone/cabin resonance. So I may just do that.

Last edited by JBezugs; 03-16-2021 at 09:15 AM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #336
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Thanks!

I got the R400 catback first (basically a month after I got the car) so unfortunately I don’t really know what the JDL header is like with the stock exhaust. However, poke and prod around and you’ll find a ton of people using the ACE A350 with the stock exhaust. I’d expect it to sound very similar, if not the exact same as the JDL 4-2-1 with the rest of the stock exhaust bits.

I’ve been mulling over selling the R400 and replacing it with the Touring86, or, trying that exhaust hanger swap (to the OEM part no. 44066AJ010).

I love the sound of the R400, don’t get me wrong. It was the perfect tone and volume with the stock header, and still maintains that perfect tone with the header.

However, with the header there is (obviously) a slight volume increase. It is not a problem at all in low-load city cruising (where it is still just as quiet as before and drone-less) and at WOT where it sounds flippin’ awesome without being too loud. But, on the highway it does drone from 120-125kph under a bit of load (going up an incline) with the JDL header.

If I was starting all over and buying a catback again, I’d definitely go with the Touring86 knowing that I’d be pairing it with a header since it is specifically designed to do so.

Then again - it looks like the exhaust hanger trick has worked for quite a few people to kill that drone/cabin resonance. So I may just do that.

Exhaust hanger trick? What is that? Could you a link a thread that explains it?
And thanks so much, I am looking to swap out some of my exhaust components later down the line and i might go with the touring86.
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote