follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jackson Racing Oil Cooler Owners Please Check For Fuel Line Interference

I have an older Jackson Racing Oil Cooler with the Mocal cooler adapter installed on my 2013 FRS and the hex on the back of the thermostat portion interferes with the high pressure fuel line for the direct injector. I have reached out to @Jackson Racing and so far they have not been willing to accept responsibility for the problem and claim that there have not been any fitment issues with the 2013-2016 cars. It shouldn't matter whether or not it has been a problem with other cars because it is a problem on my car and the product is marketed to fit my car. Regardless, I think it is worthwhile for other owners to check their installation for interference with the fuel line because it is a significant safety issue. The fuel line seems to be robust so a failure is unlikely, but the consequence of a failure would be very severe. For me it is a time sensitive issue because I'm racing this weekend and I've determined that the interference is worse than I initially thought. Looking at the installation from the top of the engine bay it is difficult to even tell that there is interference so I think others may have this problem but may not be aware of it. I tried to pass my smallest feeler gauge through at .0015 and it could not clear. If you do check your installation please report back with your findings and note whether or not you're using a stock airbox.

@Jackson Racing claims that if the product is installed properly there will not be interference, but so far has not identified any specific aspect of the installation that needs correction. The cooler adapter is as close to the oil cap as possible to still allow re-installation of the oil cap. There is also already some rubbing on the airbox so it is unclear to me how the installation can be adjusted to prevent interference with the fuel line. If anyone has suggestions feel free to offer them up.

Here is a picture of the installation. The red arrow indicates where the interference is:
Name:  old oil cooler sandwhich block.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  190.0 KB
Old 07-19-2019, 03:45 AM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't have any specific insight for you on fitment or installation of this kit

If you need a solution, maybe try adding another sandwich plate to raise the mocal up a couple inches (e.g. Blitz or TRD)
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote