follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
@drewbot and @Cole do you have any problems with you a/t?
Nope, I just put @Wayno throttle stuff into my map and went merrily on my way.

I think what we have here is finding a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-08-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
dyno judgment
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #17
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OP is offended that his sports car with an automatic can't...whoa, stop right there. We found the problem.

If you're not happy with power output in higher gears, and you think you have too much power in lower gears, then select a gear in between. I don't like to bash slushboxes since my first sporty car had one, but you are trying to apply a tourniquet when a bandaid will do.

You have a manual mode, I suggest you use it. This is why people opt for a stick, so they can select the correct gear and throttle input for any situation.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #18
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Perception becomes reality. I have cpb and oft and my ass tells me that they vastly improved part throttle response/performance. Unfortunately the dynos dont show that.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #19
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
There is a setting that is hidden in the manual that allows you to operate the gear shift manually even in the auto, but that mode requires paying attention to whats going on around you. Give that a shot before you reinvent the OFT tunes. And welcome to 2014!
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #20
PetrolioBenzina

One expert has checked in with an opinion, OP fires back. Waiting for the other expert as well. Perhaps even Shiv will check in.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #21
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
One expert has checked in with an opinion, OP fires back. Waiting for the other expert as well. Perhaps even Shiv will check in.
Shiv's never had an automatic development car. The only tuner to advertise that they have actively tried to improve the automatic shifting is Moto East.

For all the precise tuning involved, the coupling between the engine and the 6AT is still incredibly mechanical. Up shifts are accompanied by an ign cut and down shifts by a throttle blip. That stuff is static (or undefined) in the tune. That's why it's so sensitive to things like any intake mods at all. The TCU takes 0.3s+-x to shift and the engine is tuned to take EXACTLY 0.3s+-x to change rpm also. You make the engine "more responsive" or whatever and it becomes out of sync during shifts.

Pretty much the only thing that you should be ensuring is that after the TCU shifts in auto mode, the cell one load column higher and 800 rpm or so down has more power than the one before the shift occurs. When it has less power, that's when it feels like a turd.

The trouble is all the power mods we do start adding power around say 2400 rpm for example, so when you up shift from 2800 above where the extra power starts down to 2000 rpm or so, it doesn't feel correct. At higher rpm's the problem doesn't exist because the engine/intake has a lot more momentum. Also, this problem doesn't exist on E85 because that 2000 rpm region has lots more power, and probably the high octane US and EU blends too. Yet another problem could simply be that the OFT tunes have removed too much timing in certain load columns below 2200 rpm.

I'd happily support anyone who tries to fix this problem. The trouble with koolbrz is rather than identifying and fixing problems, he always has to start from scratch with some brand new scheme and introduce 100 new issues, before ending up back to the drawing board a month later.

It might be solved as easily as adding requested torque at 1800-2200 in the exact problem load columns, I don't know. You would only want to add as little as required, so the car doesn't think it needs to down shift. Or it might be a case of adding requested torque in the cells before the up shift, so the TCU holds on to the gear for longer. Or it might be better to not be changing the throttle map at all, but the calculated torque maps as kodename has said. In that case then you need to understand exactly how those work. Either way making heavy handed blanket changes is only going to waste your time.

With OFT it's easier to replicate specific loads because you have a screen. It's harder with tactrix. Pretty much you can only try to replicate while logging, then if you hit a bad shift, stop logging and look at the last part of the log to see what's happened.

Last edited by Wayno; 11-07-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-08-2016), Nah (11-08-2016), new2subaru (11-07-2016), Tcoat (11-08-2016), Ultramaroon (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #22
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Shiv's never had an automatic development car. The only tuner to advertise that......... look at the last part of the log to see what's happened.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I've driven the auto a few times (stock) and thought it was great. OP could save himself some headache and try the flappy-things.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #23
Nah

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs 6mt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yet another problem could simply be that the OFT tunes have removed too much timing in certain load columns below 2200 rpm.
A little timing goes a long way...
Nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #24
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
If you drive a Manual Transmission, you just aren't going to get it. With a MT, you can just push the pedal down further, if it doesn't have enough power, you can down shift and feather the throttle to pace the vehicle in front of you.
With an automatic, in automatic mode, to keep pace with the vehicle in front of you, you push down the pedal, then suddenly it downshifts and quickly speeds up forcing you to let off the throttle, shifting it up again.
Since I can't recode the TCU to change the shift points, I'm trying to add more torque with the throttle map so I don't need to press the pedal as far to accelerate. Changing the throttle map has definitely changed the shift points of the TCU, but for the worse. When I added a lot more requested torque at low rpms, it short-shifted, instead of taking longer to shift, like I was hoping.
Kodename47 has a good point about the other maps in the DBW folder though, so I'm going to go back to a previous, "smoothed" map, and experiment with the other tables to determine what effect they have on the shift points and the TCU.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #25
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Calculated Torque tables have no impact on a MT so I expect that they are there to communicate with the AT TCU. Maybe try and emulate your (expected) torque map. I wouldn't go changing the max values however, use whats there to model your torque output and see what happens.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #26
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
You can use sprint booster which doesn't need a tune. There is a specific one for AT cars. Personally I was using one in my MT car, but throttle response was way aggressive and it was better to de-activate it in traffic. I believe it depends the driver. Some like it, others not. Personally, I prefer the OEM settings which keep the balance. Maybe you'll like a more aggressive throttle if you want to slide the rear more.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #27
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The trouble with koolbrz is rather than identifying and fixing problems, he always has to start from scratch with some brand new scheme and introduce 100 new issues, before ending up back to the drawing board a month later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Changing the throttle map has definitely changed the shift points of the TCU, but for the worse. When I added a lot more requested torque at low rpms, it short-shifted, instead of taking longer to shift, like I was hoping.
Kodename47 has a good point about the other maps in the DBW folder though, so I'm going to go back to a previous, "smoothed" map, and experiment with the other tables to determine what effect they have on the shift points and the TCU.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-08-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #28
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Calculated torque tables are it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Calculated Torque tables have no impact on a MT so I expect that they are there to communicate with the AT TCU. Maybe try and emulate your (expected) torque map. I wouldn't go changing the max values however, use whats there to model your torque output and see what happens.
I made some test tunes and found out the Calculated Torque tables are it. It works just the opposite of what I'd expect however. CT tables remade to mirror the power I'm getting now cause the AT to short-shift horribly. Then I used a trick I learned from AVCS tuning. I shifted the whole table one column to the left, saved it as +10, shifted it one column to the right, saved it as -10, and tried them out one after the other. The -10 shifted noticeably better, revving a good 1000 rpms higher before shifting, and downshifting easier without all the usual stomping to get a downshift. I'll be posting a new thread, "Modding your Calculated Torque tables for better shifting, for A/T's only."
Kodename47 (11-24-2016), Wayno (02-24-2020)