follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #29
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
No.

Any chance of getting elaboration from you or anyone else please?

I am searching the forum (and the internet) and not finding much other than some saying Auto-Armor Anti-Rust Undercoating is just not worth it at all, or some are saying worth it in very snow salty places (which is where I am right now in Minnesota)
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post

Yes, already reading obsessively about unequal length headers and I haven't even received the car yet!
Tires and wheels friend, best first upgrade, probably best upgrade for most people in general. Once spring comes around next year, I am pulling the trigger on some 720form but will transfer stock tires and burn them
Old 11-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #31
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Mainly I was saying no to the exterior paint protection. You're much better off finding a reputable local professional detailing company, and taking your car to them versus anything the dealer is offering you.

I don't know much about the anti-rust undercoating, so I will page @Tcoat to comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
Any chance of getting elaboration from you or anyone else please?

I am searching the forum (and the internet) and not finding much other than some saying Auto-Armor Anti-Rust Undercoating is just not worth it at all, or some are saying worth it in very snow salty places (which is where I am right now in Minnesota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #32
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I know you've already gotten answers from some people on some of these things, but here are my replies.

Snow Use: The car is perfectly fine to use in the winter, and in the snow, so long as it is properly equipped with winter tires. Here's what I do every year without much trouble here in Chicago:

Tire Transport: One of the design criteria for this car was that it needed to be able to fit a set of tires and a helmet in the back. That was LITERALLY one of the design constraints for the team, and it was LITERALLY an advertised feature. I don't want to sound like an ass, but anyone who can't figure out how to fit four stock-size tires in the back without too much difficulty must really suck at spatial awareness. There is PLENTY of room in the car to do so, and it isn't particularly hard. Three of them will fit lying down on the floor when you fold the rear seats down, and one can be placed on top of the others through the rear door. You can fit WAY more than that in the car. I fit my 18x9s without issue, and I know people have also fit 4 wheels and 4 tires SEPARATELY (unmounted) with just a bit of planning.

Paint Protection: If you care about your paint, you should ABSOLUTELY get a clear-bra for the car. I recommend Xpel Ultimate. It isn't cheap (around $750 for the bumper, mirror caps, and leading 18" of hood and fenders) but it will protect your car from all but the largest of debris, and eliminate at least 90% of rock chips. I've got over 50,000 miles on my car and the bra has taken a beating, but the paint is still in great shape from what I can tell. Also, learn from my mistake if you go that route: shell out the extra cash to get the WHOLE hood covered. I have quite a few rock chips on the exposed part of the hood, and I wish I'd just dug a little deeper and gotten the whole thing done.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 11-01-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
NeverInTime (11-01-2017), rennlistuser3 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #33
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I know you've already goten answers from some people on some of these things, but here are my replies.

Snow Use: The car is perfectly fine to use in the winter, and in the snow, so long as it is properly equipped with winter tires. Here's what I do every year without much trouble here in Chicago:

Tire Transport: One of the design criteria for this car was that it needed to be able to fit a set of tires and a helmet in the back. That was LITERALLY one of the design constraints for the team, and it was LITERALLY an advertised feature. I don't want to sound like an ass, but anyone who can't figure out how to fit four stock-size tires in the back without too much difficulty must really suck at spatial awareness. There is PLENTY of room in the car to do so, and it isn't particularly hard. Three of them will fit lying down on the floor when you fold the rear seats down, and one can be placed on top of the others through the rear door. You can fit WAY more than that in the car. I fit my 18x9s without issue, and I know people have also fit 4 wheels and 4 tires SEPARATELY (unmounted) with just a bit of planning.

Paint Protection: If you care about your paint, you should ABSOLUTELY get a clear-bra for the car. I recommend Xpel Ultimate. It isn't cheap (around $750 for the bumper, mirror caps, and leading 18" of hood and fenders) but it will protect your car from all but the largest of debris, and eliminate at least 90% of rock chips. I've got over 50,000 miles on my car and the bra has taken a beating, but the paint is still in great shape from what I can tell. Also, learn from my mistake if you go that route: shell out the extra cash to get the WHOLE hood covered. I have quite a few rock chips on the exposed part of the hood, and I wish I'd just dug a little deeper and gotten the whole thing done.

Thanks

I certainly did learn from others that the FT86 was designed to carry 4 mounted wheels and this was a major factor in deciding for this over an MX-5. I need to switch winter tires and I hate asking favors from people.

And yes I will definitely go for the clear bra from all of what I'm hearing from everyone. I'm not too sure if I'll do the whole frontal area or just the typical face. The first is around 700$ and the latter is twice that!!
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post

Straight from the original development brochure:
Attached Images

imnotsureaboutbrz (11-01-2017), rennlistuser3 (11-01-2017), Stang70Fastback (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #35
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Straight from the original development brochure:
interesting, I guess that could be done with 7" wheels, on the 8"+ wheels that I a have carried around I have always stacked 3 on the folded down back seat (like a pyramid) and the fourth in the trunk.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #36
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Stang... Pretty cool looking blue snowplow. It snowed here, once, long ago. I don't really miss it.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #37
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
interesting, I guess that could be done with 7" wheels, on the 8"+ wheels that I a have carried around I have always stacked 3 on the folded down back seat (like a pyramid) and the fourth in the trunk.
When I'm carting mounted wheels to/from events, the spare is out and I easily fit two (245's on 9" wheels) stacked in the trunk (much MUCH easier with a nylon tire bag on each), jack, tool box, water sprayer, small pelican case with the gopro, etc. and a bit of room left - two more tires go behind the passenger seat, race bin (helmet, gloves, number magnets, blanket, centering rings, spare clips and lugs, etc.) behind me with 1.5" tall ramps (required to fit the jack to a center jacking point F or R). I can fit a passenger still with all this in the car. And I do this with the rear seat up (it's quieter). Foam bits all still in the trunk (them's the rules...)

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #38
Flash02

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just traded in my 2002 WRX for a 2017 BRZ Limited, I could not be more happy, I’ve tried to find reasons why my WRX was better and can’t. I would buy this car with its options over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flash02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash02 For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-02-2017), rennlistuser3 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #39
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Mainly I was saying no to the exterior paint protection. You're much better off finding a reputable local professional detailing company, and taking your car to them versus anything the dealer is offering you.

I don't know much about the anti-rust undercoating, so I will page @Tcoat to comment on that.
I didn't get the page but Renn asked in a PM.
For what it may be worth for anybody else wondering this is what I told him:

I drive in very salty conditions and did not get any rust protection at all. At 120,000 miles the only rust I show is on the unpainted bolts, fittings and engine components that wouldn't have been treated anyway. The manufacturers have been using very rust resistant materials for about 15 years and I am very comfortable with not adding extra treatment. In fact I am less comfortable with them drilling holes to apply what I feel is unneeded coatings than with having nothing.
If I were to get treatment it would not be one of the wax coatings that the dealers push. It does indeed trap moisture and needs to be redone every couple of years. I would use a cheap oil spray place. The oil does not flake so gives no place for water to get trapped.
Clipdat (11-02-2017), rennlistuser3 (11-02-2017)