follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Anthonyc77

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Broke a TPMS sensor, process with ATEQ Quickset and new TPMS Sensor?

Hello, recently broke one of my TPMS sensor's removing the tires from the my stock wheels. I purchased a new TPMS sensor (Denso 550-0105 TPMS Sensor) and the ATEQ quickset tool.

In doing some research, some people have noted with other platforms they needed to activate or awaken the sensor with a different tool before using the quickset. For anyone that has experience doing this, do I need to activate the sensor first, or can I just enter the code on the sensor into the quickset software. Thanks in advance.
Anthonyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Anthonyc77

Bump
Old 03-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Two things you need first, the ID code from the new TPMS sensor, as well as from the broken TPMS sensor. These are printed in a number/letter combination on the TPMS sensors themselves.

Did you write down the ID codes from both TPMS sensors prior to any changes? If not, then you cannot really do anything with the ATEQ Quickset tool.

The ATEQ Quickset tool only allows you to pull the 4 ID codes stored on the car's ECU (one of them would be the broken TPMS sensor) via the OBD2 port onto the tool in where you can load the 4 ID codes onto the ATEQ software on a laptop. Once in the software, you need to find the broken TPMS sensor ID code, and replace it with the new TPMS sensor ID code. Then, you can load that information back onto the tool, and back into the car via the OBD2 port.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Anthonyc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
Two things you need first, the ID code from the new TPMS sensor, as well as from the broken TPMS sensor. These are printed in a number/letter combination on the TPMS sensors themselves.

Did you write down the ID codes from both TPMS sensors prior to any changes? If not, then you cannot really do anything with the ATEQ Quickset tool.

The ATEQ Quickset tool only allows you to pull the 4 ID codes stored on the car's ECU (one of them would be the broken TPMS sensor) via the OBD2 port onto the tool in where you can load the 4 ID codes onto the ATEQ software on a laptop. Once in the software, you need to find the broken TPMS sensor ID code, and replace it with the new TPMS sensor ID code. Then, you can load that information back onto the tool, and back into the car via the OBD2 port.
Yes I did make sure to record all of the sensor ID's including the broken one. Just wanted to confirm all I needed was the new sensor ID without an additional tool needed to also "awaken" the new TPMS sensor as well which some people (for other platforms) recording needing to use for their sensors. Thanks for the help
Old 03-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
KryptoNate

Drives: '14 Asphalt FR-S
You will need "wake" the sensor before programming with the Quickset. At least that is my experience with the brand Tire Rack sells. Other manufacturers could be different. I used the cheapest activation tool that Tire Rack sells (VT15), then proceeded with the Quickset.

Sent from my SM-J510MN using Tapatalk

Last edited by KryptoNate; 03-18-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
KryptoNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Anthonyc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNate View Post
You will need "wake" the sensor before programming with the Quickset. At least that is my experience with the brand Tire Rack sells. Other manufacturers could be different. I used the cheapest activation tool that Tire Rack sells (VT15), then proceeded with the Quickset.

Sent from my SM-J510MN using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info, do you remember the name of the manufacturer tire rack used? Or did the sensors just look generic
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Don't spend your money on a tool to wake the sensor. It will wake up automatically when you start driving, and when your ECU transmits the new code to find the sensor.

I bought 4 of the Denso 550-0105 to use for my winter wheels. Entered all the new ID codes onto the ATEQ Quickset software after I pulled my 4 ID codes for my summer wheels from the car's ECU. Exported and stored all eight codes onto ATEQ Quickset tool, and use the winter/summer buttons accordingly when I swap wheels. I never had to wake up my new sensors for my winter wheels when I did it the first time. Although my TPMS light was on for a minute or two, it will eventually shut off after the reprogramming with the ATEQ Quickset tool.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Chris For This Useful Post:
Anthonyc77 (03-20-2018)