follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #29
srscion

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Never-mind, I found it. 13 ft lbs
srscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #30
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Brake caliper mounting bracket?
Brake caliper slide pins?
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #31
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
Brake caliper mounting bracket?
Brake caliper slide pins?
Front Caliper mounting bracket - 59 ft lbs
Rear Caliper mounting bracket - 49 ft lbs
Caliper slide pins - 19 ft lbs (I use hand tight. Don't have to over do it.)

FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
jflBRZ (06-27-2023), zeal86 (02-15-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #32
Zoid

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can someone help me identify the nut circled in blue? Trying to find out how much it should be torqued. I'm assuming all 3 should be torqued the same, let me know if this isn't the case.

Also, the ones in red, all four should be 12ft/lbs, correct?

Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #33
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
Can someone help me identify the nut circled in blue? Trying to find out how much it should be torqued. I'm assuming all 3 should be torqued the same, let me know if this isn't the case.

Also, the ones in red, all four should be 12ft/lbs, correct? - yes

Strut Tower (FR) | 17
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
zeal86 (06-06-2018), Zoid (06-06-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #34
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I think I have an exhaust leak. Car has some high-pitch tin/metallic sound between 2.9K to 3.1K rpms coming from the front. I have all the gaskets in place, but I tightened everything by hand. Looking to tighten by torque spec now.

I'm not sure what the terminology here is, though. I'm used to seeing "header, frontpipe, overpipe". Could someone define as like "header to overpipe", "overpipe to frontpipe", "frontpipe to midpipe"?

Exhaust - bolts securing bracket of exhaust pipe assembly (FR) | 36.9

Exhaust Manifold Sub-Assembly | 22.1
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (FR) | 31.3
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (CTR) | 13.3
Exhaust Pipe Sub-Assembly (FR) | 25.8
Old 06-17-2018, 12:56 AM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
I think I have an exhaust leak. Car has some high-pitch tin/metallic sound between 2.9K to 3.1K rpms coming from the front. I have all the gaskets in place, but I tightened everything by hand. Looking to tighten by torque spec now.

I'm not sure what the terminology here is, though. I'm used to seeing "header, frontpipe, overpipe". Could someone define as like "header to overpipe", "overpipe to frontpipe", "frontpipe to midpipe"?

Exhaust - bolts securing bracket of exhaust pipe assembly (FR) | 36.9

Exhaust Manifold Sub-Assembly | 22.1
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (FR) | 31.3
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (CTR) | 13.3
Exhaust Pipe Sub-Assembly (FR) | 25.8

Did you install a header? Mine had a slight leak, but grimmspeed gaskets (thicker than oem) and some high temp rtv on all the gasket locations fixed it
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #36
Lakitu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post

Did you install a header? Mine had a slight leak, but grimmspeed gaskets (thicker than oem) and some high temp rtv on all the gasket locations fixed it
Yeah I installed it all myself, and need to get back under the car to torque everything down. The bolts and the flanges on my headers where they connect to the engine are also SUPER rusted to hell. I think those may have been leaking for months....

Just trying to confirm what these correspond to:

Exhaust - bolts securing bracket of exhaust pipe assembly (FR) | 36.9 (manifold->header?)
Exhaust Manifold Sub-Assembly | 22.1 (header->overpipe?)
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (FR) | 31.3 (overpipe->frontpipe?)
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (CTR) | 13.3 (frontpipe->midpipe?)
Exhaust Pipe Sub-Assembly (FR) | 25.8 (midpipe->muffler?)

Assuming that they are in order from engine to muffler.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:09 AM   #37
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Yeah I installed it all myself, and need to get back under the car to torque everything down. The bolts and the flanges on my headers where they connect to the engine are also SUPER rusted to hell. I think those may have been leaking for months....

Just trying to confirm what these correspond to

Yea, I installed mine myself as well, when you go through a few heat cycles btw as the bolts loosen and such and need to be tightened a little past those torque values.

The 6 header bolts on the motor are 22 ft lbs, I tightened them to 24 on the second reinstall with the RTV

The header to overpipe is 26 ft-lbs, that I kept the same with the rtv and new gaskets

32 ft-lbs on the 2 nuts that connect the Front Pipe to the Over Pipe.

37 ft-lbs for the Front Pipe hanger bolt.

13 ft-lbs on the 2 nuts that connect the Front Pipe to the midpipe (mid pipe is part of the "catback")

As for the muffler to mid-pipe, I'd go as snug as you can feel because I'd assume they'd be anywhere from 13-25 ft-lbs

So here's what the service manual list corresponds too:

Exhaust - bolts securing bracket of exhaust pipe assembly (FR) | 36.9 (front pipe hanger)
Exhaust Manifold Sub-Assembly | 22.1 (6 bolts that connect the header to the engine)
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (FR) | 31.3 (frontpipe to over pipe)
Exhaust Pipe Sub-Assembly (FR) | 25.8 (header to overpipe)

You really shouldn't be fretting over these numbers though as they most likely aren't whats causing an exhaust leak, also if you're not used to it aftermarket headers are thin walled and make way more noise. Also try and feel around the exhaust sections during a cold start (being careful) and feel for warm air while the exhaust isn't too hot.

My fix for these woes with just a header and axleback was high temp exhaust rtv and grimmspeed gaskets, makes up for manufacturing errors and other problems and works perfectly.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 06-17-2018 at 03:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Lav (09-12-2022)
Old 06-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #38
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

Just trying to confirm what these correspond to:

Exhaust - bolts securing bracket of exhaust pipe assembly (FR) | 36.9 (manifold->header?)
Exhaust Manifold Sub-Assembly | 22.1 (header->overpipe?)
Exhaust Pipe Assembly (FR) | 31.3 (overpipe->frontpipe?)
Exhaust Pipe Sub-Assembly (FR) | 25.8 (midpipe->muffler?)

Also adding to my last post, I realized you have an OFT. Datalog your LTFTs and other stuff like AFR, MAF, IAM etc and post them on datazap.me and post it in the tuning section, and you will definitely get people to help you figure out if theres a legitimate leak. LTFTs get higher percentages when a leak is present usually (unless your running e85 like myself and they are all over the place naturally lol)
Old 06-17-2018, 03:24 AM   #39
Lakitu

Garage
Thanks! I've been driving around looking at the numbers on the OFT, the LTFT is about -17.00 to -18.00 at idle, and STFT is 0.00. Not sure if that's worth anything, but I'll do what you said. Going to tighten the bolts up and take a look again, then post them.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:31 AM   #40
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Thanks! I've been driving around looking at the numbers on the OFT, the LTFT is about -17.00 to -18.00 at idle, and STFT is 0.00. Not sure if that's worth anything, but I'll do what you said. Going to tighten the bolts up and take a look again, then post them.
If your LTFT is that you definitely have a problem it should ideally be between +/- 10, so you most likely have a leak somewhere. Definitely look for signs of a leak i.e. soot and such around the exhaust system.

It also could be high because you have a grimmspeed CAI and your maf hasn't been scaled?
@steve99 can look into it better
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #41
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
If your LTFT is that you definitely have a problem it should ideally be between +/- 10, so you most likely have a leak somewhere. Definitely look for signs of a leak i.e. soot and such around the exhaust system.

It also could be high because you have a grimmspeed CAI and your maf hasn't been scaled?
@steve99 can look into it better
yeah -18 ltft sounds like a problem somewhere

The grimspeed intakes are very close to stock scalng might throw trims of a couple of percent but not -18%

Exhaust leaks usually make ltft go way positive

check you intake install for leaks check catch can if you have one. make sure the tiny gasket on the maf sensor is not torn or creased

but if your on petrol with a petrol tune -18% ltft indicates a problem

check you didnt flash an E85 tune by mistake
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:15 PM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
yeah -18 ltft sounds like a problem somewhere

The grimspeed intakes are very close to stock scalng might throw trims of a couple of percent but not -18%

Exhaust leaks usually make ltft go way positive

check you intake install for leaks check catch can if you have one. make sure the tiny gasket on the maf sensor is not torn or creased

but if your on petrol with a petrol tune -18% ltft indicates a problem

check you didnt flash an E85 tune by mistake
Quote:
Yea, I thought so thanks for clarifying steve. I think its best you datalog after you make some adjustments @Lakitu