follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Julio86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Got it. It really was a piece of cake. Now I want to eat some cake lol thnx koji
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio86 For This Useful Post:
Gimagination (04-21-2013)
Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So when adjusting the clutch pedal, do you just need to make sure that the pedal sits and pushes that pin?
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #17
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Ablaze - 6MT)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Smile

Thanks everyone for posting back with positive results =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-Goku-| View Post
So when adjusting the clutch pedal, do you just need to make sure that the pedal sits and pushes that pin?
Do you mean the cruise control switch? well if you adjust the clutch down far enough it may not come up far enough to rest on the switch & allow proper use of cruise control or gear indicator;
So when you're done adjusting the clutch pedal the way you want, you have to make sure the white switch on the cruise sensor presses against the pedal;
though also note that you don't want the sensor pushed up far enough to force pressure on the pedal or you will wear your clutch; Use one hand to pull the clutch pedal up while you push in the sensor with the other =D

Another member on here said even after his own adjustment; the pedal still came up to the switch on the sensor; that just means the level you are most comfortable with might not be far down enough to affect it; just double check & let me know how it turns out!

Koji_Online is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koji_Online For This Useful Post:
|-Goku-| (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #18
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji_Online View Post
Thanks everyone for posting back with positive results =D

Do you mean the cruise control switch? well if you adjust the clutch down far enough it may not come up far enough to rest on the switch & allow proper use of cruise control or gear indicator;
So when you're done adjusting the clutch pedal the way you want, you have to make sure the white switch on the cruise sensor presses against the pedal;
though also note that you don't want the sensor pushed up far enough to force pressure on the pedal or you will wear your clutch; Use one hand to pull the clutch pedal up while you push in the sensor with the other =D

Another member on here said even after his own adjustment; the pedal still came up to the switch on the sensor; that just means the level you are most comfortable with might not be far down enough to affect it; just double check & let me know how it turns out!
thanks for the info! So I just need to make sure the the pedal rests on the switch, but not far enough where it is pushing back on the pedal, correct?
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #19
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

^ definitely correct =D

Old 06-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Starscream15

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - DGM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio86 View Post
Got it. It really was a piece of cake. Now I want to eat some cake lol thnx koji
!
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #21
elenien

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Adjustment done. Turning the rod nearly defeated me, but once I found a good position and put on some grippy gloves things improved.

I put it at the same height as the break. I need to drive it more to decide if it needs further adjustment. I was starting to get used to the height, so it feels odd at the moment
elenien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to elenien For This Useful Post:
Nate219BRZ (06-21-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
syelenik

Drives: Premium Red Manual
A few tips

A few tips in addition to the great advice and post above.

1. You may have to get the 12mm wrench at the nut from a weird direction/rotational position to get the open end to mesh on the nut and have room to loosen and later to tighten. When you get up there while upside down with the door sill piercing into your back it should be clear.

2. Small adjustments make a big difference.

3. The rod is tough to turn and someone mentioned putting a pair of gloves on, another suggestion is to wiggle the clutch pedal up and down and inch or so and keep wiggling it while you turn the threaded rod. Again you don't have to turn the rod much. And it turns real easy while wiggling the clutch pedal. Watch the clutch pedal position while you turn the rod and you will see it moves quick.

Last edited by syelenik; 06-21-2012 at 05:14 PM.
syelenik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to syelenik For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (12-12-2015)
Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #23
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

I'm glad my guide helped! Lmao the techs couldn't figure out how to adjust clutch pedal height; they've probably never done a clutch disc & hydraulic system swap before; that's comforting =P

Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
DYOLF26

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Garage
Is it just me or am I the only one that is worried that adjusting the height of the clutch pedal could possibly leave the clutch slightly engaged when your foot is completely off the pedal? I feel like you could mess with this slightly but not to the extent that some people are doing it, it seems like a likely possibility.
DYOLF26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #25
syelenik

Drives: Premium Red Manual
No Worries

As I understand this you are adjusting the pedal position, not the clutch itself. The free play at the top that is required hasn't changed. If you go too far you could get to a point where the clutch won't fully release which would give you grinding going into reverse or first. You don't want that. And with that and a .2 inch or so freeplay when first pushing the clutch pedal in and all should be fine. As I understand it. We are talking small adjustment goes a long way here.
syelenik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to syelenik For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (11-10-2013)
Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #26
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Smile

Thank you syelenik, that is the right answer; to supplement that, DYOLF26; the last bolded part of my guide that talks about properly adjusting the cruise sensor that sits in front of the clutch pedal is where you need to watch; in that when you adjust the switch to contact the pedal, make sure to pull up on the pedal so that the sensor isn't applying pressure while at rest; this will ensure you aren't partially engaging or 'riding' the clutch =D

To emphasize part of syelenik's post; another part of my guide near the end states the proper way to test & make sure your gears engage correctly with the adjustment made; so that you do not get any grinds or hesitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYOLF26 View Post
Is it just me or am I the only one that is worried that adjusting the height of the clutch pedal could possibly leave the clutch slightly engaged when your foot is completely off the pedal? I feel like you could mess with this slightly but not to the extent that some people are doing it, it seems like a likely possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syelenik View Post
As I understand this you are adjusting the pedal position, not the clutch itself. The free play at the top that is required hasn't changed. If you go too far you could get to a point where the clutch won't fully release which would give you grinding going into reverse or first. You don't want that. And with that and a .2 inch or so freeplay when first pushing the clutch pedal in and all should be fine. As I understand it. We are talking small adjustment goes a long way here.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #27
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is so awesome; stuff I thought I'd be paying the dealer I can do with pictures. Thx all you mechanically inclined owners!
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
driver01

Drives: brz 13
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Looking at the repair manual, the spec for clutch pedal travel is 110 to 115mm.
driver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driver01 For This Useful Post:
Brzce (09-16-2012)

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring