follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2022, 12:11 AM   #1
MichaelHu

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Perrin 2.5” Resonated Catback Rasp

Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Subaru BRZ. I just installed a Perrin 2.5” catback exhaust today, and I have been having issues with raspy exhaust.

Before I installed the exhaust, my setup was Tomei UEL headers, Invidia catless front pipe, Invidia N1 catback, and an OFT tune. It was not raspy, but I was sick of the drone of the Invidia N1, so I ordered a Perrin 2.5” exhaust because the reviews on it was glowing so I decided to give it a shot.

I first installed the Perrin 2.5”, then went for a test drive and it was extremely raspy, the rasp was so loud it sounded terrible. I figured it’s because of my catless front pipe since it has no resonators, so I switched back to my OEM front pipe hoping it would solve the issue. Then I went for another test drive but it still rasps!! A little better than when I had the Invidia front pipe but it is still pretty bad, the more throttle I give it the more rasp, and throughout all RPM ranges.

I triple checked all exhaust bolts and gaskets, they were very secure so I don’t think there is a leak, so I am completely clueless as to how to fix this issue at the moment. Has anyone had this issue with this catback exhaust or have suggestions on what to check to fix it? I’d like to get this issue fixed as soon as possible because I am hating the sound right now. Thanks in advance.
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:31 AM   #2
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
You didn’t reuse the factory donut gasket right? How tight are you getting the 2 V band clamps?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:45 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Catless header and front pipe, yeah it's going to be a drone-y mess. Not surprised it is raspy with the stock front pipe either. A resonated and catted front pipe like a JDL or nameless would help, not sure by how much.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:05 AM   #4
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do you have a sound clip of the perrin 2.5 resonated + stock FP + Tomei header? I run the Perrin 2.5 resonated with Tomei EL header and yes there is some drone, but not really as far as rasp.
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, invidia exhaust, perrin exhaust, raspy