follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2022, 08:33 PM   #1
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RokBlokz mud flaps for 2017+ installation

I've installed RokBlokz mud flaps on my 2018 Subaru BRZ. RokBlokz advertise their mud flaps for the Toyota 86 and say "Fits the Toyota 86 and Possibly the Subaru BRZ for 2017-2020". I was fairly confident that they would fit the BRZ, but here I am to confirm that it does indeed fit.

The content of the package are four mud flaps, two bags of hardware (one for the front and one for the back), a QR code for the PDF of the installation instructions, a Rok Blokz sticker and the obligatory Smarties.

Instructions for front:

The fronts can be installed without taking off the wheels, although it would certainly help. First turns the wheels so that they clear the rear side of the wheel well (turn left for the driver's side and right for the passenger's side).
This will expose the 4 plastic fasteners that will need to be removed (and will be replaced by Rok Blokz's hardware).

The 3 on the outside of the wheel well are simple quarter turn cross heads. Just give them a quarter turn and the middle part pops out, allowing you to easily remove the fasteners. The single fastener inside the wheel well needs the middle part to be pried out first, then it can be removed. This fastener is much more stubborn and also has awkward access due to the tire.

To make access to place the Rok Blokz hardware easier, you can also remove another plastic fastener at the bottom of the wheel well liner, right by the pinch weld rail.

Next, pull out on the wheel well liner to expose the edge of the sheet metal with the 3 holes. This is were the 3 plastic brackets will hook on to. Note the pile of leaves that I took out of the area behind the wheel well liner (interestingly enough there were a lot on the driver side but almost no leaves on the passenger side). Simply slide the plastic brackets on the edge of the sheet metal with the flat side facing out.

Next push on the plastic anchor into the inner hole. It takes quite a bit of force to sit it fully - I levered a screwdriver handle off of the tire to push it in.

Finally install the mud flap it self. Use the long screw for the inner anchor, not forgetting the fender washer on the outside and the rubber spacer between the mud flap and the wheel well liner. I was only able to hand tighten this screw.

Proceed to screw in the other 3 short screws into the brackets. Again don't forget the fender washer.

To tighten the inner screw, rotate the wheel to the other direction (to the right for the driver side and to the left for the passenger side). A stubby screwdriver works well for access here.

Instructions for rear:

For the rear mud flaps removing the wheels is required (although some people claim to have managed with a 90 degree angle attachment on a drill).

First, remove the two plastic fasteners. These are the stubborn type.

Pull the wheel well liner out to gain access to the sheet metal behind it. Then slide the plastic brackets onto the sheet metal for both of the holes. The inner hole is fairly easy to figure out, but the outer one is trickier. I hooked it up on the outer side of the sheet metal and slid it to the correct position.

The other two screws of the mud flap are done in a bit of a strange way. They don't actually use an existing hole (there are none), instead the brackets are screwed directly to the mud flap using the short screws. Note the alignment of the brackets - there is a small tab that fits in a cutout in the mud flap. The rolled lip of the bracket should face outwards.

This rolled lip of the bracket will pinch on the edge of the bumper (the painted plastic part). In this picture the orange pry tool is located where the rolled edge will sit on the bumper edge.

And in this picture the orange pry tool is located where the edge of the bumper will be.

I found it easiest to first hook the bottom bracket, then use the bottom bracket as a pivot to hook the top bracket. You will need to apply pressure to the mud flap to keep it snug against the edge of the bumper for the brackets to be able to grab on the edge of the bumper.

Finally install the two screws - the medium length screw goes directly into the inner hole (don't forget the washer), while the long screw goes in the middle hole with the plastic spacer between the mud flap and the wheel well liner. You can squeeze in the plastic spacer from the top - there is a sizable gap between the mud flap and the wheel well liner

Tighten the two inner screws, but don't touch the outside screws with the brackets pinching the edge of the bumper - these cannot be tightened once installed, instead they will just rotate the plastic brackets and make you redo everything.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ohio Enthusiast; 04-21-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (04-29-2022), The Red One (04-22-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,125 Times in 1,975 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I've installed RokBlokz mud flaps on my 2018 Subaru BRZ. RokBlokz advertise their mud flaps for the Toyota 86 and say "Fits the Toyota 86 and Possibly the Subaru BRZ for 2017-2020". I was fairly confident that they would fit the BRZ, but here I am to confirm that it does indeed fit.

The content of the package are four mud flaps, two bags of hardware (one for the front and one for the back), a QR code for the PDF of the installation instructions, a Rok Blokz sticker and the obligatory Smarties.

Nice! Thanks for the guide! Any pictures with them installed. I see you have a silver twin too! I was looking into something like that.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Nice! Thanks for the guide! Any pictures with them installed. I see you have a silver twin too! I was looking into something like that.
Sure thing, here you go. They are a little more conspicuous in person (the potato camera doesn't capture it that well), but nothing too blatant.
Attached Images

Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,125 Times in 1,975 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Sure thing, here you go. They are a little more conspicuous in person (the potato camera doesn't capture it that well), but nothing too blatant.

Well look at that sexy BRZ. I bet if you did a CS Style lip kit from Bayson R it would blend perfectly. I'll definitely be getting those.

I don't run into dirt as much, but the tire gel does tend to pick up dirt and pass it onto the edge of the quarter panels. I could stop using it, but then the car wouldn't look as cool lol.