follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2019, 02:13 AM   #1
BOND007_LTK

Drives: 2013 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cusco Pedal Install & Pedal Lateral Stiffening (Sideways Loose Pedal)

So I had bought a cusco pedal. It didn't seem to fit the stock pedal well (I don't remember if the manual said only for Japan). Also, the nut supplied didn't fit correctly as it didn't tighten the hardware.

Long story short, I'm here to provide my DIY on how I installed my Cusco wide pedal and how I stiffened the pedal so it didn't move side to side as much (important b/c when you hit the side of the pedal esp with this new pedal, you dont' want side to side movement).

Thanks in advance for everyone else and their contribution. Here's mine.

CUSCO PEDAL

It's easiest to remove the pedal assembly. There's two bolt, upper left and lower right (I believe it was 8 or 10 mm). Then you remove the plastic clip (push and slide) that provide/receives electrical output/power to the pedal.
Take the pedal out.

With the cusco pedal, you essentially have a slip pad, nuts and bolts and the new pedal with brackets/hooks. These hooks aren't the best fit nor are the nuts. I bought new nuts and washers (went to Partsource in Canada as they have a rent a tool program although the day and store I went to denied me the specific 8mm or 10mm bolt I needed that day, not a biggie).

I would suggest not using the slip pad. As a 5'8 guy and having my arms bent slightly while resting my arm at the top of the wheel having maximum control over the wheel, I felt the gas pedal was too close with the slip pad. Remember, you're adding the slip pad AND pedal on top of the OEM pedal. I did not and do not know after all this research how to take of the original pedal at least safely. However, I can't comment on the damage on the oem pedal - I doubt it as it's going to bolt on quite tight.

At this point, it's pretty simply and you've got to be brain dead in not securing it properly. I don't remember if they had a washer, you can put that in on the nut side if you want.

SIDE TO SIDE (LATERAL) PEDAL STIFFENING

Since you already took the pedal out, you might as well get rid of the play side to side which is A LOT WORSE with this new wide pedal because you're really hitting the side of the pedal now.

Using basic screwdriver/bolt, remove the screws. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE SENSOR on the lid and the inside itself. Everything else you can pretty much mess up and piece it together.

If you look at the pic, the biggest problem is just gaps in the assembly. I stuck a washer in there nice and snug. It doesn't come out easily but I can still pull it out if I want to.

Then I added two rubber O rings (all bought from part source again, these are pennies) and put one around the lower pillar and one on the upper pillar.
It'll be somewhat hard to close the lid (it helps to have another pair of hands) but that's what you want, rigidity. So long it closes, there's not much here you can mess up.

How it works I believe is you push the pedal, which presses the spring and somehow the sensor measures how far it goes. There's not much to it, just don't dirty the sensor.

See pics for references. I enjoyed my pedal quite a bit although having paid 60-80 bucks Canadian, it wasn't perfect fitment & hardware (annoyed). I like how it's removable still. Love it. Love you guys.

PS. I might have forgotten which washer exactly (I might have taken a picture of the one which didn't fit properly and didn't take a picture of the one I ended up putting in but you get the idea.

You don't have to use their nuts (they have stupid small hex screws).
Attached Images

BOND007_LTK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BOND007_LTK For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (07-15-2019), SmoothIsSlow (07-15-2019), villainous_frx (04-27-2022)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
SmoothIsSlow

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the Cusco extension as well and am loving it.

Glad to know that I am not the one bothered by the side-to-side wiggle. Thanks for the DIY guide! May have to give it a try after the track day this weekend.

A frikin 2019 Malibu rental I drove last week had virtually no side-to-side throttle pedal wiggle. Uhhh
SmoothIsSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
diga

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread but can someone clarify the side to side wiggle? is this referencing an inherent slop in the factory pedal? or is the slop only experienced after installing the Cusco pedal? I have a 2022 BRZ, I do not feel any side to side slop/wiggle in the factory pedal. I'll return the thing if it's going to require this much modifying just to fit correctly.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:49 PM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I have the Cusco pedal overlay on my 2018 BRZ. There is some lateral play when moving the pedal by hand, but I don't feel it when actually driving and I haven't done anything for that after installing the overlay (and am happy with it, makes heel and toeing much easier for me).
Perhaps OP is more sensitive to that, or their pedal actually did have more play than other pedals.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,133 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I've never encountered this, but I've also never thought about it. Great little write up, next time I drive the car I will try and think about this to see if it impacts me.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #6
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
So you used BOTH a washer and 2 orings to fix the play?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote