follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For the life of me I can not get the quote system to work here. But..

@ermax you have no idea how close I was to getting rid of the car over that nonsense. It is a pleasure to drive all over again. I am in debt to you.

Since I have your ear (if you come back to this). What is your stance on the valve spring recall? I am of the lucky 25k FRS owners to need it, but with what seems to be nearly 10% of the recalls resulting in complete failure I think I might take my chances.

I'm at nearly 80k miles, idk if its worth it.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
For the life of me I can not get the quote system to work here. But..

@ermax you have no idea how close I was to getting rid of the car over that nonsense. It is a pleasure to drive all over again. I am in debt to you.

Since I have your ear (if you come back to this). What is your stance on the valve spring recall? I am of the lucky 25k FRS owners to need it, but with what seems to be nearly 10% of the recalls resulting in complete failure I think I might take my chances.

I'm at nearly 80k miles, idk if its worth it.

I’m on the recall list but have no intentions of doing it. I spun a bearing and replaced the short block at 93k and now I’m at 101k miles. I’m also running E85. I feel like if anything goes wrong on the recall they will blame me for the rebuild or E85. If I have a spring failure I will address it then.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Gloonge (06-20-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
Jvabhi

Drives: Toyota 86 2013 copper colour, TRD t
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So Basically i had a problem with my car which was making a noise while going over an uneven surface, like i could hear a noise right under the steering wheel.

I finally figured out what the problem was it was the EPS (Electronic power steering motor) thanks to "Ermax" which was broken in small pieces and god was it a pain to get a replacement finally fixed it today.

I left the garage happy and there was no noise at all everything was alright. while driving back home i noticed that there were 2 lights lit up on the dashboard the abs and the traction control lights which says there is a problem. I went back to the garage and what they did was that they unplugged the battery for a minute or so and re plugged it back and the lights went off i left and proceed to go back home.

I was thinking that everything was sorted only to have the dreaded lights turn back on again.

While driving i was frustrated and decided to use the cruise control option and that didn't turn on as well.

Does anyone have a fix to this?

I parked my car and checked if the left and right indicators are working and they are working fine.

I have linked a picture of the faults that are lit on my car's dashboard.

Please help.

https://ibb.co/nBXxJFx
Jvabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jvabhi For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (06-28-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Totmacher

Drives: 2013 FRS
Is this rattling just an annoyance or is there concern of real failure (like loss of steering while on the road)?
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totmacher View Post
Is this rattling just an annoyance or is there concern of real failure (like loss of steering while on the road)?

Basically there is a motor that connects to a worm gear. Rather than being metal to metal that put a rubber coupler between the to for dampening. Once this rubber falls apart it will be metal to metal with a bunch of slack so it rattles. There isn’t a chance of loosing PS though because the motor is still interlocking with the worm gear it just no longer has a damper.

So it’s just an annoyance, but a very very big annoyance. It rattles like crazy the longer you go without replacing the coupler.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
Jvabhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Basically there is a motor that connects to a worm gear. Rather than being metal to metal that put a rubber coupler between the to for dampening. Once this rubber falls apart it will be metal to metal with a bunch of slack so it rattles. There isn’t a chance of loosing PS though because the motor is still interlocking with the worm gear it just no longer has a damper.

So it’s just an annoyance, but a very very big annoyance. It rattles like crazy the longer you go without replacing the coupler.

Eyyup Ermax your absoultely correct.

But man after fixing one problem, the 2nd one immediately arises, breaking my head yet again to trouble shoot this new issue. Have you heard of anything like this.

I did check the break lights and everything was fine.

Do you folks think this could be the Issue?

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbX_1Ims8EQ"
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
Gloonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvabhi View Post
So Basically i had a problem with my car which was making a noise while going over an uneven surface, like i could hear a noise right under the steering wheel.

I finally figured out what the problem was it was the EPS (Electronic power steering motor) thanks to "Ermax" which was broken in small pieces and god was it a pain to get a replacement finally fixed it today.

I left the garage happy and there was no noise at all everything was alright. while driving back home i noticed that there were 2 lights lit up on the dashboard the abs and the traction control lights which says there is a problem. I went back to the garage and what they did was that they unplugged the battery for a minute or so and re plugged it back and the lights went off i left and proceed to go back home.

I was thinking that everything was sorted only to have the dreaded lights turn back on again.

While driving i was frustrated and decided to use the cruise control option and that didn't turn on as well.

Does anyone have a fix to this?

I parked my car and checked if the left and right indicators are working and they are working fine.

I have linked a picture of the faults that are lit on my car's dashboard.

Please help.

https://ibb.co/nBXxJFx

I had the same issue with mine, but after clearing my codes they never came back on. that is very strange.

I would climb under the dash and see if they left anything noticeable unplugged. In Theory the only thing that could be doing it is the EPS motor, but you would surely notice the last of power steering.

Make sure that your brake lights work, I wonder if leaving the switch un-plugged would cause the abs light even though the switch has nothing to do with it.

Also, cruise control will not work if there are any warning lights illuminated on the dash. It is a fail safe to keep the car from killing you.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #22
Gloonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvabhi View Post
Eyyup Ermax your absoultely correct.

But man after fixing one problem, the 2nd one immediately arises, breaking my head yet again to trouble shoot this new issue. Have you heard of anything like this.

I did check the break lights and everything was fine.

Do you folks think this could be the Issue?

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbX_1Ims8EQ"

Dang, I didn't see this response until after I replied to your previous post.

If you did not have an issue before the fix it is highly unlikely that your new issue is not related to the current fix.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
Gloonge

@ermax

I ended up going for it, considering im completely stock. I got them to give me a written note that it would be covered if their fix killed my motor due to a clogged oil pickup tube.

Got about 120 miles on it since the recall, no funny noises or anything. Hoping for the best.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
Jvabhi

Well i wasn't able to fix the issue i got a OBD scanner from Amazon.

Checked error codes if anything and nothing shows up doesn't seem like there is a problem but i have no idea how to delete the error codes.

Also do any of you know how to update the firmware of the Radio head unit ?

Its the stock one without the touch screen having some connection issues with calls on a new phone so i guess its a software issue works fine with my old phone and the new phone works fine in a different car .

sorry guys but this is the best forum where someone takes the initiative to help or actually have answers or suggestions.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
ermax

FRS/BRZ EPS Motor Coupler Replacement (Rattle Fix)

Someone PM’d me asking if I ever solved my EPS problem but when I tried to respond they have their PMs disabled. I figured I would mention him in this thread and maybe he will at least get an email notification to draw him to this thread.

Can you hear me @anaelgt86?

Edit: never mind, looks like his PMs are working now.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #26
ermax

I updated the original post to include a link to the OEM coupler. Toyota doesn’t sell this as an individual part for our car but luckily they have other cars which use the exact same coupler so we can order that part. When I first did the fix and wrote this DIY I wasn’t aware of this part number. I plan to leave the Hyundai coupler in my car just to see if it out lasts the Toyota coupler.

Thanks to @CK155 for finding this part for us.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
JesseG (03-04-2021), Kris86 (03-27-2023), radroach (09-01-2019), T0rt0r0 (09-02-2019), Trap63 (09-01-2019)
Old 01-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #27
Scoob

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Another satisfied customer, here. I had replaced my steering rack chasing this down, only to find it was a $6 part and less than 2 hours of work (compared to $200+ and 6 hours).

Thanks for your hard work and the pics.
Invidia N1 exhaust
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scoob For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-28-2020), MJones_RB (01-28-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #28
ozne99

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That back bolt was a pain in the ass! Thanks for the write up, this really worked! Also don't take your steering wheel off the column like I did. Try to keep it together as one unit since my steering wheel was crooked after I put everything back together and had to go back and fix it.

Hopefully this Hyundai part works better than the Toyota one. The steering feels slightly heavier, but I actually enjoy it more. I love driving the car again!
ozne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ozne99 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-22-2020)