follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Wesley
Chen

Drives: RockyMountain bicycle bi-turbo '08
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Dual (Independent) Rear Calipers for Brakes & E-Brake

Hello 86 club! It's been quite the loooooooong while since I've been active here. So hello, happy new year x 3 and I hope you've all been well

Today I've come running here because I have been unable to find definite information about independent brake and e-brake rear braking control. This meaning one independent brake line and one independent caliper controlled by your foot pedal, and another independent brake line and caliper controlled by the e-brake arm. To make things easier, let's just say i'm buying a drifting e-brake handle with it's own brake fluid reservoir and not tapping into the existing brake line/fluid reservoir.

Side note: I'm an automotive noob, and only a seasoned common sense-er. Please believe my stated mental aptitude and not my grammar.

!START READING HERE TO SAVE TIME!

What I want to do:
1. Install Wilwood Narrow Superlite 4R's in the front while keeping stock e-brake function. (whatever the "OE" kit is)
2. Add 2 new calipers on the (stock if applicaple, rigidity and reliability not yet researched) rear rotors, while maintaining the operation of the 2 stock calipers controlled by the brake pedal.
3. Add a pistol grip independent reservoir e-brake and mount it somewhere on the passenger side centre console.
4. Tap 2 new brake lines from the new independent reservoir to the 2 new calipers
5. Have independently controlled dual rear calipers.

What my problem is:
1. I do not know if the stock rotor can handle or even have space for a second caliper.
2. I do not want to tap into any existing brake lines.
3. How in the hell and where in the hell do i weld a new caliper bracket.

What my questions/requests are:
1. Is there a double caliper bracket for a single rotor for any brake kit out there for the frs?
2. Does anyone know a fabricator in Canada or any manufacturers able to make such custom caliper brackets?
3. What potential safety risks do you find, please tell me I'm a Hugh Jazz if this is ridiculous.
4. Please recommend any research topics so I may do some better homework.

Before I'm asked a purpose, I may as well inform you. I am picking up drifting and intending on building my vehicle to handle this sport. I will not be pushing over 400whp for a very long while, so I see fewer potential risks.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I will update the post following my new findings and research when I can!

Wesley
Attached Images

Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
For the bracket.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=FRS+Dual+Caliper+Bracket
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
Wesley
Chen

Drives: RockyMountain bicycle bi-turbo '08
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
I don't see the image or link but according to my html there's a snooty lmgtfy url ahaha, I get this way too often. Damn me. I assure you i have contacted many fabrication companies and for some reason they all liked doing "limited runs" and they are no longer making them.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I don't see the image or link but according to my html there's a snooty lmgtfy url ahaha, I get this way too often. Damn me. I assure you i have contacted many fabrication companies and for some reason they all liked doing "limited runs" and they are no longer making them.
If you've already gone to those, custom is the only way, and unless you can make one yourself, of know someone, you're probably gonna have a hard time.

I'd ask myself even before worrying about measuring stuff ect, weather or not I actually had the ability or knew someone with the ability to fab some up.

edit:

Changed FRS to GT86...

http://srs-concept.com/product/brz-f...r-kit-bolt-on/

2nd edit:
Are you having problems with the stock one not locking???
I can understand the need to plan ahead, but if its fine now, why not just put this on the back burner and when you do need one maybe someone will have done all the work for you.

Might have better luck dropping a post off in the drifting thread also.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, caliper, drifting, racing, rotor