follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Differences between auto and manual engine

I'm looking for an engine and have come across a couple from automatic cars.

What is the difference between the auto and manual engine in terms of replacing the engine. From searching it seems like there might be an oil pan difference but I'd like to know exactly before I buy anything.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Bman117

Drives: Waiting on 2nd Gen!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I could be wrong so dont quote me on this, but there wouldnt be any differences up to the flywheel. Auto/manual are all in the transmission boxes.
Bman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you're on Facebook message Driveway Labs he recently swapped an auto engine into his manual trans car. Surprisingly There's quite a few differences.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The RH cylinder head has a few differences. Externally, there's a block-off plate on the MT model and a vacuum pump on the AT. Internally, there's an oil pipe assembly on the AT head that's blocked on the MT head.

Then there's your flywheel vs flexplate and torque converter.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (08-08-2022)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
redlined600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
The RH cylinder head has a few differences. Externally, there's a block-off plate on the MT model and a vacuum pump on the AT. Internally, there's an oil pipe assembly on the AT head that's blocked on the MT head.

Then there's your flywheel vs flexplate and torque converter.
As far as I can tell the actual crank is the same right. which makes it a simple matter of bolt on/off?

Ultimately if I had both engines sitting in front of me it shouldn't be too hard to swap the parts over that I need/don't need. Or are there some show stoppers?
Old 07-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
As far as I can tell the actual crank is the same right. which makes it a simple matter of bolt on/off?

Ultimately if I had both engines sitting in front of me it shouldn't be too hard to swap the parts over that I need/don't need. Or are there some show stoppers?
Everything major is the same. There are minor differences, but if you have a blown engine from a manual car, you can swap the associated minor parts. You'll have to pull the RH valve cover to pull that oil pipe and put in the plug bolt. When you have both opened the difference will jump right out at you.

Other than that, just throw away the vac. Pump and get a cam plate from racerx or any of the other people who make aftermarket block off plates.

There are small differences in the brake booster hose but just keep the MT engine parts.

Get new flywheel bolts. ARP. But yes, the crank is the same, the flange on the crank is the same.

that's it.

Oh and IMPORTANT. Your direct injectors have to match. Each one has a flow number printed on the injector body. Swap your old direct injectors over. And swap over your IDU. The computer box on the RH port injector cover.

-Spartarus
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
redlined600 (07-25-2016), Tcoat (07-26-2016), Ultramaroon (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh and IMPORTANT. Your direct injectors have to match. Each one has a flow number printed on the injector body. Swap your old direct injectors over. And swap over your IDU. The computer box on the RH port injector cover.
Thank you very much, sir.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #8
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Drive it or it drives you 😆

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
redlined600

Quote:
Match each other or the IDU?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
Match each other or the IDU?

Thanks
Match the IDU, per cylinder.

The flow number for each injector for each cylinder is programmed in the IDU.

Your old ECU stays in the car (it's hidden in the passenger footwell) therefore your old IDU has to go on the new engine.

In order for the IDU to operate the injectors correctly, the flow number in each cylinder has to match. The easiest way to ensure this is to swap them over, but you have to pull them anyway to check the number.

When you buy a new engine you'll have 8 direct injectors total. So, pull the old ones, write down number and cylinder, and pull the new ones.

If they match, you wasted your time, but there are [EDIT] 3 numbers. [/edit]

So, you want the engine to start and run... It's only logical to pull them all and ensure you have the correct number in the correct cylinder on your new engine.

-Spartarus

Last edited by Spartarus; 09-14-2017 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (09-14-2017), redlined600 (07-26-2016), Tcoat (07-26-2016)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
carben100

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Everything major is the same. There are minor differences, but if you have a blown engine from a manual car, you can swap the associated minor parts. You'll have to pull the RH valve cover to pull that oil pipe and put in the plug bolt. When you have both opened the difference will jump right out at you.

Other than that, just throw away the vac. Pump and get a cam plate from racerx or any of the other people who make aftermarket block off plates.

There are small differences in the brake booster hose but just keep the MT engine parts.

Get new flywheel bolts. ARP. But yes, the crank is the same, the flange on the crank is the same.

that's it.

Apologies for bringing this thread back, but I'm in the middle of this swap now and can't find any information on the pipe you mentioned. There's an external one shown here, but nothing else:

@Spartarus, are you sure there's an internal one as well? Not planning on pulling the valve cover off unless I need to.
carben100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Or just make sure you get the direct injector driver from the new engine.
It's bolted to the engine after all for this exact reason.

Quote:
Match the IDU, per cylinder.

The IDU calid has to match the ECU calid. The flow number for each injector for each cylinder is programmed in the IDU.

Your old ECU stays in the car (it's hidden in the passenger footwell) therefore your old IDU has to go on the new engine.

In order for the IDU to operate the injectors correctly, the flow number in each cylinder has to match. The easiest way to ensure this is to swap them over, but you have to pull them anyway to check the number.

When you buy a new engine you'll have 8 direct injectors total. So, pull the old ones, write down number and cylinder, and pull the new ones.

If they match, you wasted your time, but there are 4 numbers and 4 cylinders which means there's a 1 in 256 chance that the combo matches.

So, you want the engine to start and run... It's only logical to pull them all and ensure you have the correct number in the correct cylinder on your new engine.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 AM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

that's it.

Hmm, i have not pulled di injectors in this car but i was under the inpression that you need to have the same flow numbered di injectors all cylindes ie all number 1 or all 2 or all 3 numbered injectors. Not a mismatched set.

If thats the case that all numbers are same in each cylinder then its possible the di computer doesnt need to know the flow numbers

Ps looked in service manuals, says use DI injectors with same numbers. In direct injector ecu install remove no memtion of calibrating it or entering flow numbers.

Ive swaped a few engine ecu for people no issues just flashed in the correct engine ecu calibration (you don't rearly need to change vin) no problems with DI ecu or fueling after changing engine ecu.

But safest option would be to keep the di injectors and DI ecu as a set

Last edited by steve99; 09-14-2017 at 08:37 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by carben100 View Post
Apologies for bringing this thread back, but I'm in the middle of this swap now and can't find any information on the pipe you mentioned. There's an external one shown here, but nothing else:

@Spartarus, are you sure there's an internal one as well? Not planning on pulling the valve cover off unless I need to.
The pipe in that illustration is the same pipe to which I was referring. Yes, it is external. Yes, there's only 1. Sorry, injector cover not valve cover. My bad.

-Spartarus

Last edited by Spartarus; 09-14-2017 at 09:32 PM.