follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2022, 03:35 PM   #29
Fa20Toybaru
FA20ToyBaru

Drives: Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you for this post, I have been looking everywhere for a solution. I have the same vibration, in the rear of my vehicle. I have checked the balance of both rear tires, and also checked tire pressure for both rear tires. The vibration originally started at 67mph, that is now gone and the vibration starts about 80mph. I have been testing and since yesterday.

We pulled the axels, checked the LSD for any clearance issues. We have now marked all bolts to see if the vibrations cause any bolts to loosen up. I am concerned because i have gone through a checklist of things that could be wrong...and now i have found your thread thanks to another member.

So, if am correct, I am to check the alignment of the shaft, starting at the box and traveling all the way down to the LSD to see if there is a difference of more then 3 degrees. I am a little puzzled on adding the shims, what kind of shims would I look for? Also, could I just measure how off the shaft is using a leveler?
Fa20Toybaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:03 AM   #30
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Exactly, no more than 3 degrees for each joint, and no more than 1 degree difference between them. You can use a digital leveler, checking the engine tilt (use the pulley), the driveshaft tilt and the differential tilt.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #31
MX-5RACER

Drives: 1999 Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One thing people do not think about is side to side alignment. Not only should you have the correct pinion angle, but you should also not have a deviation side to side. You can use laser pointers to see if you have a side to side clearance issue that is putting the joints in a bind.
MX-5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MX-5RACER For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #32
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX-5RACER View Post
One thing people do not think about is side to side alignment. Not only should you have the correct pinion angle, but you should also not have a deviation side to side. You can use laser pointers to see if you have a side to side clearance issue that is putting the joints in a bind.
The differential input is off to the side and not centered to the transmission output.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #33
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I never thought of this, thank you. Anyway, the degree rule is still valid for lateral shift.
Just more measures and more difficulty to fix the issue.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote