follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BEST SPRAY PAINT FOR PAINTING POLYURETHANE RAVEN BLACK MATCH ?

Hey Guys i have a polyurethane rear apron and wanted to know which brand of gloss black paint would be best for Raven FRS ? i know its not going to perfectly match but anything close as possible or tips for going about it would be much much appreciated !
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Lots of paint places can match paint to your paint code. There's a couple I've used that put it in spray cans as well. I would suggest that. But being that it's Polly it likely has a bit of an oily finish that will not hold paint. Most important thing is going to be prep work. Sand it down, primer then paint, clear. When I paint lips/rims I usually sand, primer, wet sand, thin primer then 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear. Don't spray heavy, you don't want runs.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSfan111 View Post
Lots of paint places can match paint to your paint code. There's a couple I've used that put it in spray cans as well. I would suggest that. But being that it's Polly it likely has a bit of an oily finish that will not hold paint. Most important thing is going to be prep work. Sand it down, primer then paint, clear. When I paint lips/rims I usually sand, primer, wet sand, thin primer then 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear. Don't spray heavy, you don't want runs.
What grade of sand paper ?
I actually found this http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...paint/buypaint
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Never used them before. I start lower with like a 600 to get it clean when I have to remove thigs like paint, defects or other surface contaminates then work up, 800 ,1000 and use 1500 for wet sanding. Also make sure you theroughly clean the surface after sanding and allow plenty of time between coats of paint.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #5
David953

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
Hey Guys i have a polyurethane rear apron and wanted to know which brand of gloss black paint check it here, would be best for Raven FRS ? i know its not going to perfectly match but anything close as possible or tips for going about it would be much much appreciated !
Surface primer from Vallejo and an airbrush When you consider that the US$15 bottle contains only the paint, it's much cheaper if you already have an airbrush. It's easier to work with and doesn't have that revolting propellant odour. If you get too heavy on it, it will contract around all the detail rather than obscuring it.

Last edited by David953; 06-24-2022 at 11:37 PM.
David953 is offline   Reply With Quote