follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #15
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So in other words, they are saying only use the battery when street racing/ autox/ drift/ drag strip and after that when done with purpose to change back to the stock battery.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Amazing DIY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #17
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
So in other words, they are saying only use the battery when street racing/ autox/ drift/ drag strip and after that when done with purpose to change back to the stock battery.
Not designed or tested for that purpose. Very short trips I've actually come home with the battery below its recommended minimum (at least, the charger goes into its safety/recover mode). Also if I leave the dash cams running... a calculated risk on my part. I'm looking at alternatives for camera power while parked, but the short trip thing may still remain (and will bug the heck out of me... why does it happen? no idea!)

Starts the car every time, and I've never run into issues on road trips. However, it's definitely not ideal. You'll probably lower the battery life, and without care you increase the risk of something bad happening slightly. So, yeah - not at all surprised that is their official stance.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #18
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Updated with TRUNK setup

Redid my setup to be in the trunk. I know people say don't do it! Too much Cable Weight! But I only used 2lbs of 4g to run it. My car has a lot of weight reduction in the rear so my goal has been to get more weight off the front to balance it out.

Ive been running it in the Winter now, it does crank slower but will start after a second (2-3 cranks, 20 Degrees). I drive it 3 times a week 100miles a day.

Made A cage out of aluminum bar from Home Depot and rivets, only added a 1.2lb!

Used the above mentioned Terminals up front with an old rubber exhaust hanger as my connection point. The terminals are a hair small, Pepboys sells terminal Shims to make it wider.

Would have preferred to put in behind the spare but there wasn't enough flat space, ( to keep center of gravity central). But it fit easy and easy to drill holes in this location. Used the spare tire mount as my ground point

Last edited by SuperTom; 01-23-2020 at 09:51 PM.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #19
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Highly recommend a Shorai tender... It manages individual cells. Less fire risk.
I haven't done my research on this yet, but it sounds like a this is a giant LiPo battery. The Shorai tender sounds like a great idea, but my main concern, the alternator will be trying to charge this battery when driving. What's to say it doesn't over-charge or doesn't charge each cell equally? LiPos burst into a nasty lithium fire when the cells get imbalanced, jarred the wrong way, or even punctured (think a car accident).
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 PM   #20
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I haven't done my research on this yet, but it sounds like a this is a giant LiPo battery. The Shorai tender sounds like a great idea, but my main concern, the alternator will be trying to charge this battery when driving. What's to say it doesn't over-charge or doesn't charge each cell equally? LiPos burst into a nasty lithium fire when the cells get imbalanced, jarred the wrong way, or even punctured (think a car accident).

you can see teh batterys voltage on your dash. it definitely sags when your lights are off and the alternator is off
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #21
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
you can see teh batterys voltage on your dash. it definitely sags when your lights are off and the alternator is off
I guess my point is, the only time the alternator is "off" is when the engine isn't running, since the alternator is belt-driven. Unless there's some kind of controller that cuts off the charging of the battery... am I missing something??
Old 01-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #22
T-Steve

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Kind of an interesting side track that I am investigating: The motorcycle part suppliers now have lithium battery voltage regulators that optimize the vehicle charging for lithium batteries.

For example,
https://shop.revivalcycles.com/lifep...tor-rectifier/

I am guessing that the twins' charging is too tightly integrated to the ECU/PCM to change charging schemes but we can dream...
T-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Steve For This Useful Post:
why? (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:51 AM   #23
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I guess my point is, the only time the alternator is "off" is when the engine isn't running, since the alternator is belt-driven. Unless there's some kind of controller that cuts off the charging of the battery... am I missing something??
I use a 10mm oversized alt pulley. I don’t remember all the numbers off the top of my head and it was a long time ago I calculated. But it put the alternators battery charging more in line with the shorais recommended charging specs. 2 years now, 2 winters, and zero issues so far.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #24
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I use a 10mm oversized alt pulley. I don’t remember all the numbers off the top of my head and it was a long time ago I calculated. But it put the alternators battery charging more in line with the shorais recommended charging specs. 2 years now, 2 winters, and zero issues so far.
I certainly won't discredit that it has zero issues so far. By nature I think about latent failures (e.i. fine now, then out of the blue it's on fire). My confidence is slowly increasing though because people are not reporting catastrophic failures.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #25
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Thanks I took the battery with me into the store and just starting testing things that would work. Cheap, easy to build, lightweight, solid, no brainer if your going with one of these battery.

Here is a side pic
This is great.
I know you moved it to the trunk already... But any idea if this setup would have any issues with heat due to proximity to rear mounted turbo like the Works kit? I imagine using a heat shield, plus your wrap would be fine, but I read that lithium batteries don't like heat.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:12 PM   #26
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
This is great.
I know you moved it to the trunk already... But any idea if this setup would have any issues with heat due to proximity to rear mounted turbo like the Works kit? I imagine using a heat shield, plus your wrap would be fine, but I read that lithium batteries don't like heat.
Well its since been moved to the behind the backseat, buts its the same battery still running strong.

As to answer your question I guess the only way to is to put a thermometer in the engine bay to see how much heat your turbo generates, then compare it to the recommended specs for the battery.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #27
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,451 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone have a lead on these batteries. I can't seem to find them anywhere in stock.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #28
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Anyone have a lead on these batteries. I can't seem to find them anywhere in stock.
It shows the larger battery available on Shorai's website:
https://shoraipower.com/lfx36l3-bs12--p130

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (05-26-2022)