follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #211
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY Clutch Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Not to be too picky, but what you describe won't work with our platform. the drive shaft has a slip in yoke. There is nothing to grab to rotate the the shafts. Unless you leave the transmission in a gear on removal, there is no way to put it in a gear since the shifter is not installed until after the tranny is in place. The 2 dowels prevent any rotation of the transmission when sliding it in to the clutch disc. The "easiest" way to do it is as the op described. Ask me how I know.

Dude, I literally just had my tranny off for the 4th time about a month ago. You can put it in gear and turn the output shaft by hand. I’m not making this stuff up. This is an issue on all trannies and almost all that I’ve worked on I was able to turn them at the output shaft by hand without needing a helper or getting out from under the car.

Sorry, reread your comment. Correct you have to have it in gear which I explained in my first comment. If you don’t leave it in gear it’s easy to grab the linkage and yank it into a gear.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
PerCompLLC (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #212
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Something that surprised me was just how far the crank pulley had to be rotated before the transmission just slide into place. If I had to guess I would say it was at least 30+ degrees of rotation. Which seems a bit odd since there are 26(?) teeth on the input shaft spline which would theoretically mean you only needed to rotate less than about 13 degrees before the splines lined up with the ring gear. Oh well.

Like I said it’s Russian roulette. It isn’t that you had to turn it far, it’s just that you didn’t get lucky until you turned it far. I typically just turn it a few degrees and cross my fingers. If that doesn’t do it I turn it a few more degrees and try again.
vfrqqq (07-26-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #213
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yokes on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Dude, I literally just had my tranny off for the 4th time about a month ago. You can put it in gear and turn the output shaft by hand. I’m not making this stuff up. This is an issue on all trannies and almost all that I’ve worked on I was able to turn them at the output shaft by hand without needing a helper or getting out from under the car.

Sorry, reread your comment. Correct you have to have it in gear which I explained in my first comment. If you don’t leave it in gear it’s easy to grab the linkage and yank it into a gear.

If you have a yoke on the output shaft, you can turn the transmission. I don't have a spare yoke and my finger tips are not that strong.
Attached Images

blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:24 PM   #214
Mr_Brian

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any tips on where to pry to get the transmission out? I've been struggling the last 2 hours and can't get my transmission out. I triple checked that I have all the bolts out.
Mr_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:22 PM   #215
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brian View Post
Any tips on where to pry to get the transmission out? I've been struggling the last 2 hours and can't get my transmission out. I triple checked that I have all the bolts out.

Did you support the front of the engine so it doesn’t tip forward? If you have the tilt just right you don’t need to do a lot of prying. It will slide right off. If it’s not coming right off then most likely the engine it tilted too far forward or backward causing it to bind on the input shaft. If you need to do any prying you can do it at the bottom and use the sway bar and a pivot point. Again, it you have to put any force at all on your pry bar then the tilt isn’t right.
Ultramaroon (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 06:23 PM   #216
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
How I support the engine
Old 05-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #217
Mr_Brian

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Did you support the front of the engine so it doesn’t tip forward? If you have the tilt just right you don’t need to do a lot of prying. It will slide right off. If it’s not coming right off then most likely the engine it tilted too far forward or backward causing it to bind on the input shaft. If you need to do any prying you can do it at the bottom and use the sway bar and a pivot point. Again, it you have to put any force at all on your pry bar then the tilt isn’t right.
Thanks for the tips I managed to wiggle it out once I broke the initial seal with some prying.
Mr_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Brian For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (09-01-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 12:35 PM   #218
zberz

Drives: 2015 Lightning Red BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
11 years later and this guide is still awesome! Have an Exedy stage 2 going in the Red Rocket.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
zberz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zberz For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (08-27-2023), Wally86 (09-01-2023)