follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
David L

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake Choice to fit +45 offset?

I’m about to get some RPF1’s in a 17x8 +45 offset and I know there are some Brembo limitations there but to be honest that doesn’t mean much to me without first knowing which brakes would be great for my needs!

Just starting our mods finally and wheels / tires are first but before I pull the trigger I need help on the brake options. This is a dd car that will see everything, autox / HPDE, and will have over 250 rwhp. This is all just for pure fun, so I don’t need to spend $5k for slight performance here and there but I would like to spend decent money to get what I can out of it. I’m assuming $1-2k for breaks all around but I don’t really know?!

So any recommendations on brakes and whether they’d work with the +45 offset vs +35 or +45 w/ adding spacers?

I can get the +45 offset wheels much much cheaper and just prefer the spacing / look but I’m not sure if I’d be shooting myself in the foot?

Any help greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you are getting wheels first, before brakes/forced induction and such, how about printing out some brake fitment templates from this thread and checking fit?
As for more performance per buck .. i suggest investing in some suspension tune up. For example - camberbolts for front, and maybe lca for rear. And tires. That will allow to drive much faster and for less. For beginning stock brakes may serve well enough if you get better pads & brake fluid. And laptimes will be improved most by more seat time & some HPDE instructions. After some experience behind belt you may change your mind as to what will seem worthy to invest in upgrading of.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
David L

Thanks for the link! My hope was to get any insight I could before purchasing the wheels / tires here very shortly though. Just wondering if I’ll be severely limited by the +45 offset or if I’ll still have great options available without using spacers. If I end up needing spacers I’m sure it won’t be the end of the world but would rather not. I don’t need the biggest baddest brake kit, but I still want something pretty good!

The plan is to throw a lot of money at this car fairly quickly. $15k in the next 6 months is very possible if that helps give an overall idea of the build.

Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you're about to spend that much cash. Get the +35 version. They fit brakes better and look more flush and less sunken in (personal preference I know, but generally people like flush and I'd agree).

http://www.rawbrokerage.com/enkei-rp...17x8-35-5x100/
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
David L

Well I’ll be running them with 245/40/17 (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+) so the +45 is more flush whereas the +35 pokes out which I really don’t like the looks of. Plus I’d be getting the +45 for about $500 cheaper than the link you gave for the +35. I’m really hoping there are some good brakes that will fit the +45 but if I really had to do spacers at least it would be cheaper and poke less since I could likely do 6mm or some such instead of all 10.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
NeedsBoostt

Drives: '19 WRX STi; Ex. '17 BRZ owner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L View Post
I’m about to get some RPF1’s in a 17x8 +45 offset and I know there are some Brembo limitations there but to be honest that doesn’t mean much to me without first knowing which brakes would be great for my needs!

Just starting our mods finally and wheels / tires are first but before I pull the trigger I need help on the brake options. This is a dd car that will see everything, autox / HPDE, and will have over 250 rwhp. This is all just for pure fun, so I don’t need to spend $5k for slight performance here and there but I would like to spend decent money to get what I can out of it. I’m assuming $1-2k for breaks all around but I don’t really know?!

So any recommendations on brakes and whether they’d work with the +45 offset vs +35 or +45 w/ adding spacers?

I can get the +45 offset wheels much much cheaper and just prefer the spacing / look but I’m not sure if I’d be shooting myself in the foot?

From what I have been seeing/hearing is the RPF1 18x8 +45 work with the performance package BRZ Brembos... If the aftermarket brembos are the same then my guess it would fit.
NeedsBoostt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
you posted in the RPF1 17x9+35 page, then come here and talk about 17x8. yes, 17x8+45 is a good fit for many brake applications. the wheel face is different.

here is the AP racing sprint kit list for RPF1
Quote:
Enkei RPF1 17x7.5 +48
Enkei RPF1 17x8 +35
Enkei RPF1 17x8 +42
Enkei RPF1 17x8 45
Enkei RPF1 (very tight fit, but works) 17x9 +35
Enkei RPF1 18x9.5 +38
Old 11-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well I’ll be running them with 245/40/17 (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+) so the +45 is more flush whereas the +35 pokes out which I really don’t like the looks of. Plus I’d be getting the +45 for about $500 cheaper than the link you gave for the +35. I’m really hoping there are some good brakes that will fit the +45 but if I really had to do spacers at least it would be cheaper and poke less since I could likely do 6mm or some such instead of all 10.
17x8 +35 doesn't really poke at all. The 9" +35 pokes a bit with 0* front camber, but with some functional camber it doesn't really poke at all. The 8" +45's definitely have at least 10mm of space before they start poking.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Stock brakes work just fine for track with some good pads and fluid. You'll only need BBK if you're tracking a lot, or want to look flashy. If you're going to be tracking a lot, then I'd suggest NOT randomly throwing $15k at the car, and take it to the track first, as stock as possible. You'll quickly learn how/where to spend that $15k as you get to know the car better. Also, with 250+ whp, you'll probably want wider wheels than 8". Many of us run the RPF1 17x9 +35 with no poke.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mkivsoopra For This Useful Post:
mrderp (11-10-2017), strat61caster (11-10-2017), wparsons (11-13-2017), x808drifter (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I'm kind of in the same spot as you. My new wheel setup is a +45 upfront, but I have brembos. Currently I am running a 5mm spacer upfront and I BARELY clear the caliper.

I did my own poking around and found that the AP Racing Endurance kit would fit, but not the Sprint Kit. You can download templates and test the fit from their website.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Are you tracking your car? Have you used race pads before?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-13-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
David L

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
you posted in the RPF1 17x9+35 page, then come here and talk about 17x8. yes, 17x8+45 is a good fit for many brake applications. the wheel face is different.

here is the AP racing sprint kit list for RPF1
Wow, I did a google search for RPF1 17x8 +45 and it got me to that thread. There were so many posts of all different sizes I didn't realize it was supposed to be specific to a certain size and not just the overall brand of wheel! Thanks. After all the advice and more research since I really want the 245/40/17 tire I think I'm gonna go with 9" wheel width (and only 0.3 lbs extra!). I will likely go with +45 just because of availability and huge cost savings for me with the deal I get from TireRack (who doesn't carry the +35). If it won't fit with stock suspension then I'll just have to pick out the suspension mod asap
Sounds like I'll definitely have decent brake options even if somewhat limited. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it!
The Following User Says Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:
G-Man (11-13-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
David L

We will be doing some HPDE / AutoX, but it's mostly a dd and all just for fun. Not worried about shaving 1/10 a sec or anything, just a damn fun car to drive! I've had slotted / drilled rotors with upgraded pads before on a diff car. I can't remember for sure, but I think that was just race pads, not calipers.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I’m really hoping there are some good brakes that will fit the +45 but if I really had to do spacers at least it would be cheaper and poke less since I could likely do 6mm or some such instead of all 10.
I'm in the same boat. Looking at +45 range that will clear AP's. I would rather get a +45 and spend extra for 5 mm spacers than get a +35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
If you're going to be tracking a lot, then I'd suggest NOT randomly throwing $15k at the car, and take it to the track first, as stock as possible.
If he knows he's going to be tracking a lot, then it makes more sense to go ahead with a BBK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
Many of us run the RPF1 17x9 +35 with no poke.
That has to poke. Maybe the top of the tire fits under the fender but that is still poke imo.

Quote:
We will be doing some HPDE / AutoX, but it's mostly a dd and all just for fun. Not worried about shaving 1/10 a sec or anything, just a damn fun car to drive! I've had slotted / drilled rotors with upgraded pads before on a diff car. I can't remember for sure, but I think that was just race pads, not calipers.
The AP Sprint kit should pay for itself after ~30 track days. ~15 days after you consider the resale value.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake fit, offset, rpf1