follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #1191
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
I switched to E85 on Saturday and took it easy for the day. Then on Sunday, I started feeling that extra oomph! Then...at exactly 40 miles from fill up, I got a CEL. I pulled over and read P0351. I reset shortly after and have over 100 miles on this tank now without the CEL coming back up.

When the code was thrown, I had cruise control on and had just started going up a pretty decent incline, then suddenly felt a loss of power as CC was disabled. I have since done several WOT pulls and am not sure if the code was a fluke or what. I've read some posts that others have had this and needed to get their #1 coilpack replaced.

Otherwise, loving the E85! I crunched some numbers and found that I can stand to lose 4mpg without decreasing my $/mile due to E85 being so much cheaper. Win-win!
I've had this CEL come up a couple of more times now, but it's very inconsistent. I've read of guys getting this at the track and it's a faulty coil pack, but I get it when cruising in town. The one time I had it come up while I was logging, I couldn't find that spot in the log to save my life (it was a 40+ min drive or so). That time, I was going up for a mountain drive and got the CEL on the way there and again on the way back...NOT when powering up or down the mountain.

Just happened again this morning on the way to fuel up (yup, still E85). Cleared it and didn't see it again on my way to work (30-ish miles).

I went out on lunch and logged (up an incline...no flat roads here).

3rd-4th gear: http://datazap.me/u/2point0/oftstg2-...log=0&data=1-9

Pretty sure this was 3rd also...http://datazap.me/u/2point0/oftstg2-...log=0&data=1-9

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm no tuner, and have been learning as I go, so I can't just look at a log and go "yup, looks good!" To my untrained eye, nothing looks terribly disturbing here.

I'm not overly concerned that something will blow up, since the CEL doesn't come back consistently and there are no strange noises. I'm inclined to agree with the guy who said it was likely a rich condition, but how rich does it need to be to throw this code? I thought it was the E85 pump, so I filled up the last two times at the slightly more expensive one nearby and still got it.

Maybe the answer is to just add the OFH...

I'm halfway tempted to switch back to (shudder) 91 octane and see if I get the CEL, but when I see the $4.05+ sign, I cringe. Especially knowing that I'll lose most of the OOMPH.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #1192
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've had this CEL come up a couple of more times now, but it's very inconsistent. I've read of guys getting this at the track and it's a faulty coil pack, but I get it when cruising in town. The one time I had it come up while I was logging, I couldn't find that spot in the log to save my life (it was a 40+ min drive or so). That time, I was going up for a mountain drive and got the CEL on the way there and again on the way back...NOT when powering up or down the mountain.

Just happened again this morning on the way to fuel up (yup, still E85). Cleared it and didn't see it again on my way to work (30-ish miles).

I went out on lunch and logged (up an incline...no flat roads here).

3rd-4th gear: http://datazap.me/u/2point0/oftstg2-...log=0&data=1-9

Pretty sure this was 3rd also...http://datazap.me/u/2point0/oftstg2-...log=0&data=1-9

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm no tuner, and have been learning as I go, so I can't just look at a log and go "yup, looks good!" To my untrained eye, nothing looks terribly disturbing here.

I'm not overly concerned that something will blow up, since the CEL doesn't come back consistently and there are no strange noises. I'm inclined to agree with the guy who said it was likely a rich condition, but how rich does it need to be to throw this code? I thought it was the E85 pump, so I filled up the last two times at the slightly more expensive one nearby and still got it.

Maybe the answer is to just add the OFH...

I'm halfway tempted to switch back to (shudder) 91 octane and see if I get the CEL, but when I see the $4.05+ sign, I cringe. Especially knowing that I'll lose most of the OOMPH.
Probably worth a read here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36008

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52688

coil pack or DI seal , most likely coil if your not getting any popping sounds with CEL
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
2point0 (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #1193
yuicebox
Banned

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you're getting CELs that relate to coil pack or DI seal failure, I would HIGHLY recommend testing stock tune and stock ECU flash ASAP.

If you do have DI seal failure, it can probably be covered under warranty, but if they see e85 in your tank or a custom tune on your ecu, your warranty is fucked.

Engines aren't cheap!
yuicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuicebox For This Useful Post:
2point0 (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #1194
2point0

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Probably worth a read here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36008

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52688

coil pack or DI seal , most likely coil if your not getting any popping sounds with CEL
Thanks, I've actually read those already. I'm not revving 7800+ though and no funny noises.

I suspect it's more related to fueling simply because I have over 40k miles and this CEL has only come up recently, and the first time was the day after switching to the Stage 2 E85 map. Like I said, I should probably go back to regular fuel to rule that out, but I don't always get a chance to run it that low with my long commute and no E85 near work.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #1195
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks, I've actually read those already. I'm not revving 7800+ though and no funny noises.

I suspect it's more related to fueling simply because I have over 40k miles and this CEL has only come up recently, and the first time was the day after switching to the Stage 2 E85 map. Like I said, I should probably go back to regular fuel to rule that out, but I don't always get a chance to run it that low with my long commute and no E85 near work.
I ran that map on E85 and no problems, shouldn't be a fueling issue unless you have modified intake or aftermarket intake that would upset maf scaling.

couple of guys here have had coil packs go and on stock tune

I'll put a $1 on it being a coil pack unless you got a really bad batch of fuel

Last edited by steve99; 02-20-2014 at 09:51 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #1196
2point0

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I ran that map on E85 and no problems, shouldn't be a fueling issue unless you have modified intake or aftermarket intake that would upset maf scaling.

couple of guys here have had coil packs go and on stock tune

I'll put a $1 on it being a coil pack unless you got a really bad batch of fuel
Hehe I can put that $1 to good use, too. It'd have to have been several bad batches of fuel, because this is between a couple of weeks. Nothing modified with the intake other than Perrin drop-in and sound generator delete (obviously makes no difference). And the OFT maps were designed with a replacement filter in mind.

Hopefully I can burn through this latest tank this weekend so I can get back on the stock tune. Figure there's always the chance that the dealer will want to update my ECU for something anyway. I'm not opposed to telling them I was on E85, as long as I can replicate it on the stock map.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #1197
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah I've heard of a few people had coil packs go on them....

On a side note.... What are the chances of an updated cam timing map for either of the two new EL headers.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #1198
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hehe I can put that $1 to good use, too. It'd have to have been several bad batches of fuel, because this is between a couple of weeks. Nothing modified with the intake other than Perrin drop-in and sound generator delete (obviously makes no difference). And the OFT maps were designed with a replacement filter in mind.

Hopefully I can burn through this latest tank this weekend so I can get back on the stock tune. Figure there's always the chance that the dealer will want to update my ECU for something anyway. I'm not opposed to telling them I was on E85, as long as I can replicate it on the stock map.
Don't run the car on E85 with the stock map. Very bad idea and the dealer will try to void your warranty. My suggestion go back to pump gas. Run through 1-2 tanks and see if you get the CEL. If you do, get your car into the dealer and don't clear the code. Your Ethanol rating at the station you fill up at might be to low for the OFT tunes.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #1199
2point0

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Don't run the car on E85 with the stock map. Very bad idea and the dealer will try to void your warranty. My suggestion go back to pump gas. Run through 1-2 tanks and see if you get the CEL. If you do, get your car into the dealer and don't clear the code. Your Ethanol rating at the station you fill up at might be to low for the OFT tunes.
This is pretty much what I meant. Maybe I wasn't clear, I have no intention of running E85 without the proper tune. I have a long commute with E85 only on one end of it, so I don't always have an opportunity to run the tank super low. Once I can, I'll switch to 91 and go back to the stock map.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #1200
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Don't tell them you were on e85. Bad bad bad idea. If you are getting coil pack codes, I'd wager to guess a coil pack is failing. As others have said, get 91 in your tank, flash back to stock, and drive until the code comes back (it probably will), then take it to the dealer.

On a side note, your logs look good.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #1201
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
or you could just spend a couple bucks on a coil pack, save yourself the trouble, and not commit fraud. to each his own i guess...
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #1202
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
or you could just spend a couple bucks on a coil pack, save yourself the trouble, and not commit fraud. to each his own i guess...
I'm 100% a-ok with fraud since many of us are running tunes to PROTECT our cars from damage since Subaru/Toyota will not flash our ECUs with the flash that helps prevent transient knock.

Now, someone that blows up a motor from an aftermarket turbo running eleventy billion pounds of boost @ 14:1 AFR...that I'm not ok with trying to cover up.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #1203
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
I'm 100% a-ok with fraud since many of us are running tunes to PROTECT our cars from damage since Subaru/Toyota will not flash our ECUs with the flash that helps prevent transient knock.

Now, someone that blows up a motor from an aftermarket turbo running eleventy billion pounds of boost @ 14:1 AFR...that I'm not ok with trying to cover up.
why won't they flash the new roms? i've never had to ask them to (i just fixed mine myself), but aren't they obligated to do that when they come out?

fwiw i wouldn't let a dealer even drive my car long enough to take it into the service bay and look it over, so the warranty doesn't mean anything at all to me. i knew it was gone the day i bought the car, wouldn't use it even if i still had it. i've worked at enough dealerships not to trust those idiots with anything.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #1204
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
but aren't they obligated to do that when they come out?
Sadly, no
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat overtemp