follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,682 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions regarding future exhaust direction (S/C + Corsa)

Hi guys

I have a Corsa exhaust and I'm in love with it. I would prefer to keep it.

I am also planning on going S/C in the next year or two (gotta get married first and need a suit) and would prefer to open up the rest of the exhaust. I am planning on keeping the car catted and resonated, however scanning through the forum reveals either a lack of information or some conflicting reports, as well as some things I'd like to clarify, so here are my questions. Thanks for taking the time to read/answer them.

1. Will an S/C increase the volume of the Corsa without a header, just cause there's increased flow? So if I keep the rest of my exhaust stock, will it make a difference?

2. Will an EL header be louder than a UEL, or vice versa? As much as I enjoy hearing the subie rumble, it just doesn't suit the look of my car at all, so I would prefer to go EL.

3. Cold start noise will be an issue in my future home. Is there something you can put on the exhaust tips during a cold start and take it off once the rpms drop? Silencers? A wet towel? Start in the garage? I've heard about disabling cold starts but also heard that it's not necessarily the best thing.

Last edited by StraightOuttaCanadaEh; 09-14-2017 at 08:47 PM.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
With any header you'll have to tune your car with either OFT or Ecutek so you won't get CEL. I believe there's a way to eliminate the cold start with tunes. I'm in the same boat as you with about the cold start. I don't wanna piss off my neighbors when I do get a header.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Eliminating cold start is not a issue as long as you are catless from my understanding.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,003 Times in 16,486 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Hi guys

I am also planning on going S/C in the next year or two (gotta get married first and need a suit) and would prefer to open up the rest of the exhaust...........
I suggest you buy a suit ...... then get married ....... THEN consider FI ....... your priorities may have been changed by then ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I suggest you buy a suit ...... then get married ....... THEN consider FI ....... your priorities may have been changed by then ........

humfrz
But...but.... Can't I stay a manchild forever?

Okay.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,003 Times in 16,486 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
But...but.... Can't I stay a manchild forever?

Okay.
Well, now, THAT will depend upon your new wife...........

Good luck convincing her that FI-ing your car is more important than new furniture (for example)...........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Header volume will be dependent on whether you get it with or without a cat, not necessarily EL vs UEL. I've seen people who complain that headers made their car too loud go to the JDL Ultra Quiet Front pipe, so that + catted headers might keep it quiet enough for you? Only real way to know would be to find someone with that setup though...
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
Only real way to know would be to find someone with that setup though...
Which is a wild goose chase and a half. Have not been able to find info at all. Hearsay is hard to judge cause people's perceptions of sound level obviously differ and what they may find tolerable, I may not, and vice versa.

Do you think FI on its own will cause the Corsa to get louder by messing with its noise leveling (or whatever it's called) design?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, now, THAT will depend upon your new wife...........

Good luck convincing her that FI-ing your car is more important than new furniture (for example)...........

humfrz
Oh we're two shoes of the same pair (how does that expression go again?)

She loves her expensive designer clothes and accessories and I like to mod my car. That keeps things on an even keel and the most we ever do is make suggestions to each other.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
lantsalot
Derp

Quote:
Do you think FI on its own will cause the Corsa to get louder by messing with its noise leveling (or whatever it's called) design?
That I don't know. I have little to no experience with FI. You could always try digging through some of the member's car journals and seeing if you come across a user who has a similar setup, then ask for some videos...and hope they are still active xD.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
That I don't know. I have little to no experience with FI. You could always try digging through some of the member's car journals and seeing if you come across a user who has a similar setup, then ask for some videos...and hope they are still active xD.
lol yes I tried. Did the google method as well. Very very little info. There's one guy local to me that has catless EL headers and a corsa but that would be useless to me cause I'm planning to stay catted. Still curious to hear what that monster sounds like so I hope I bump into him at a meet soon
Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
lantsalot
Derp

Quote:
lol yes I tried. Did the google method as well. Very very little info. There's one guy local to me that has catless EL headers and a corsa but that would be useless to me cause I'm planning to stay catted. Still curious to hear what that monster sounds like so I hope I bump into him at a meet soon
Well then, obviously you need to just try it out. You know...FOR SCIENCE!
The Following User Says Thank You to lantsalot For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
With any header you'll have to tune your car with either OFT or Ecutek so you won't get CEL. I believe there's a way to eliminate the cold start with tunes. I'm in the same boat as you with about the cold start. I don't wanna piss off my neighbors when I do get a header.
My car is pretty loud and my parking space is in between 4 residential buildings.
On a cold start I can actually hear some windows rattling (UEL headers)

I've not changed the cold start because it's there for a reason. But... to save the neighbours too much pain I simply start the car, put it in gear immediately and then slip the clutch to slowly get out the parking. It's simple, costs nothing and rpm seems to drop quite quickly doing this + I simply get out on the street straight away. Job done for me.

Costs nothing and I get to keep the loud exhaust

Edit: I've had catless headers (not so loud) and then added catless catback (made it super loud).

Last edited by 86 South Africa; 09-14-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: More info added
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
My car is pretty loud and my parking space is in between 4 residential buildings.
On a cold start I can actually hear some windows rattling (UEL headers)

I've not changed the cold start because it's there for a reason. But... to save the neighbours too much pain I simply start the car, put it in gear immediately and then slip the clutch to slowly get out the parking. It's simple, costs nothing and rpm seems to drop quite quickly doing this + I simply get out on the street straight away. Job done for me.

Costs nothing and I get to keep the loud exhaust

Edit: I've had catless headers (not so loud) and then added catless catback (made it super loud).
Thank you. What catback do you have?