follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
dbrandt01

Drives: none
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BC Racing Extreme Drop pictures and initial opinion

Alright, I know several guys have these done. They were a lot of help when I was looking at getting mine. I won't say I've had these long, but a full day of driving and messing around. I'll say this at the beginning. I have not done an alignment yet. While the car goes straight at 55mph and the steering wheel is straight and doesn't jerk. I just can't find a spot where I can get on an alignment rack. I did find a spot, but will have to go down Monday. I'd have about 120 miles on the coilovers by the time i get there.

Alright, so Initial opinion I ordered from Kami Speed and I did a review of them here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61825 and they were shipped from BC Racing themselves. Package came good, could've been a bit more inside for padding, but no major complaints.

Install took the guy about 30 minutes per side and the cost for install was $225. Much easier than me attempting it. So, appearance wise, while yes, I'm still on stock wheels. It completely changes it for me. I chose not to run spacers on this car, especially from the bad experiences with them in the truck world. Another thing I just noticed today is, the back wheels are tilted in (see pictures below). They recommend some lower control arms, but I may try to get by without them for now.

The ride, I have the 8k front and rear spring rates. While the ride is bouncier, it's nothing to really complain about. I went on some bumpy roads to a rocky road (not by choice) and it was kind of nice. I like the minimal bounce I got.

Clearance getting into my drive way isn't bad. I planned to have it lowered a certain amount and it came out perfect as you can see in the pictures and video below of it. My father was driving during this since I was filming.

Overall at the moment, I am very satisfied with them. Granted I only have had them for a day on my car. I have this thread started so I can keep updating it as time goes on if my opinion changes or whatever the case may be.

***EDIT*** Here's a video trying to get on the alignment rack

[ame]http://youtu.be/_TWCSW2mQN0[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XinKz_uXvo"]BRZ BC Racing Extreme Drop driveway clearance - YouTube[/ame]

Pictures of the car

Back

Side

Front

Passenger side rear

Passenger side front

Passenger rear, shows the angle the tire is

Drivers side rear, showing the angle

If I go straight off my driveway

If I go at an angle off of my driveway

Clearance from the middle going off the driveway

Last edited by dbrandt01; 04-04-2014 at 01:02 PM.
dbrandt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dbrandt01 For This Useful Post:
ang31ito (04-07-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
fairz

Drives: BRZ keyless
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
wow, these look great, how much do you endup paying after install? I'm currently shopping for a good set of coilovers and I have hear good stuff about these. how much lower did you end up going?
fairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairz View Post
I'm currently shopping for a good set of coilovers
This is not nearly clear enough to provide accurate enough information to get some advice on.

For appearance coilovers: I've heard better things about stance than BC, likewise about Tein. Take into account the warranty and how they can be serviced (as in serviceable stateside or not) as well when buying something this fundamental to your car.

Performance coilovers: depends on your budget, but so many options. It gets confusing really quick.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
J-W (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
dbrandt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairz View Post
wow, these look great, how much do you endup paying after install? I'm currently shopping for a good set of coilovers and I have hear good stuff about these. how much lower did you end up going?
Thanks and I believe he had them set at 2 1/4. Stock is somewhere around 26" I think from fender to ground. I'm sure someone else can verify that. I ordered them online for $995. Labor from the shop was $225 and whatever the alignment will cost today. I think around $80 for that.

I chose these mainly because of price and I did read stuff on them that was good. But like cdrazic said below, there are better reviews on stuff that is a bit more in cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
This is not nearly clear enough to provide accurate enough information to get some advice on.

For appearance coilovers: I've heard better things about stance than BC, likewise about Tein. Take into account the warranty and how they can be serviced (as in serviceable stateside or not) as well when buying something this fundamental to your car.

Performance coilovers: depends on your budget, but so many options. It gets confusing really quick.

Exactly, very confusing. I saw these and liked them.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
That's way too low for a static drop. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving around like that unless I had air.
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sshole For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandt01 View Post
very confusing. I saw these and liked them.
Well that's what we're here for, to help alieviate the confusion

Edit: you know you can get a set of Bilstein B14's for the same price at ft86speedfactory.com...

just not nearly the same drop
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
dbrandt01 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I feel like whoever installed these made a killing.... id do it for 225 and buy you beer. Then again im a jew and have to do everything self
supramkivtt2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to supramkivtt2jz For This Useful Post:
mweidner311 (06-13-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
dbrandt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
I feel like whoever installed these made a killing.... id do it for 225 and buy you beer. Then again im a jew and have to do everything self

Oh really ? You're only 5 hours or so away. Plus I've read on here people paying more than that for their install... They were the one place I trust around here to do it though. Worth it instead of me attempting it.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
225 is pretty reasonable I would say, don't sweat it.

I think the car is too low (I know, weird right), but that's just me. Kinda looks broken.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
teamturbo (04-05-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
dbrandt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
225 is pretty reasonable I would say, don't sweat it.

I think the car is too low (I know, weird right), but that's just me. Kinda looks broken.
Not weird really I mean the way I saw it, it I can drive around and make it in my drive way I'm not that low. I know I could raise it more and I may later on. Time will tell if I get bored with being this low or not.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
the rear wheel/tire "angle" is called camber. thats way too much rear camber for that setup. definitely need new adjustable lower control arms in the rear.

car looks good. i love the way slammed cars look. but on this car, to do that low, you've basically gotten rid of any handling benefit this car has. if you drive that car hard with that setup, you'll probably notice slower steering, less traction, unpredictable turns over any surface besides perfectly smooth roads, and a weird combo of understeer first then snap oversteer next.

perfectly set up to park hard tho.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
dbrandt01

Made the attempt to get on the alignment rack today. Was an experience to see.

They recommended LCAs as well and after I pay for the summer semester for college and books I'll be buying the LCAs.
@BRGT86 I don't really drive hard and I don't track them either so I can't say on experience for the handling. It's quite the experience of learning how to drive again with any little incline.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
PradiG

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
All corners will get natural camber when lowering the car. The lower you go, the more camber you'll get.

Personally, I say go lower

There's plenty of static daily driven cars that are low
PradiG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PradiG For This Useful Post:
dbrandt01 (04-04-2014), SomeoneWhoIsntMe (06-14-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
ang31ito

Drives: Scion FRS 2013 - Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandt01 View Post
Thanks and I believe he had them set at 2 1/4. Stock is somewhere around 26" I think from fender to ground. I'm sure someone else can verify that. I ordered them online for $995. Labor from the shop was $225 and whatever the alignment will cost today. I think around $80 for that.

I chose these mainly because of price and I did read stuff on them that was good. But like cdrazic said below, there are better reviews on stuff that is a bit more in cost.

Exactly, very confusing. I saw these and liked them.
Is it dropped 2.25 inches all around? I'm loving the look and I have my coilovers and rear camber arms on the way. I will also be throwing on the spacers, 20mm front and 25mm for the rear. Thanks for your pics bro.
ang31ito is offline   Reply With Quote