follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Raz

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Door Open Switch

Hey guys,

So I posted a while back about not being able to activate my alarm for the life of me. I think I figured out what's going on. My car seems to have no idea when the driver's side door is open. When I open the door, the door lights don't turn on, the window doesn't go down, and the door open warning light on the dash doesn't light up. All of these do work for the passenger door. This means that the step for alarm activation where you have to open the door doesn't work, because the car has no idea that I opened the door. This also causes problems for the auto headlights because the car waits for you to leave the car and lock it before it decides to turn off the lights. With this problem, my car thinks that I've never left the car.

I was gonna probe things with a multimeter and try to track down the problem before I take it to the dealership to have them take a look at it. I wanted to see if anyone on here has any ideas on what places to check other than the switch itself.

Thanks a bunch!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Check with your dealer. That's what your warranty is for
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Raz

Yeahhhhhh. I took it there last week for the headlight and alarm problem, before I realized it was actually all the door switch. It took them like 3 hours to figure out that they couldn't figure it out. I'm ok with taking it back, but I wanna see if I can easily figure out the problem before them. Gotta put my electrical engineering degree to good use!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
kash

Drives: an awesome one
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hopefully something like this is covered by warranty, if you end up taking it back.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Yeahhhhhh. I took it there last week for the headlight and alarm problem, before I realized it was actually all the door switch. It took them like 3 hours to figure out that they couldn't figure it out. I'm ok with taking it back, but I wanna see if I can easily figure out the problem before them. Gotta put my electrical engineering degree to good use!
The only way I see you fixing this is by probing every single contact on the switch, then pull the wiring diagram and probe every single contact on the switch->IBU->fuse box.

Sounds like it'll take longer than 3 hours, but I'm not a spark-e.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Raz

Well, I figured it out and it took less than 5 minutes, haha. I did some more searching around, and I came across a DIY to disable the auto up/down on the windows. It suggested using electrical tape to cover the bolt on the sensor so the ground is permanently disconnected. So I found out that the sensor uses its own bolt as its ground. Lo and behold, squeezing the sensor to the bolt made it work! Just tightened that bolt and was on my way.

Five minutes of research and 30 seconds of diagnosing, fixing, and testing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raz For This Useful Post:
infinite012 (04-08-2013), Nicky (04-18-2014)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
996garage

Drives: 03' NSX & 13' BRZ 6spd Ltd white
nice... they DIY section comes to the rescue yet again. It's already helped me out several times too!
996garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:07 PM   #8
JoweeHolmes

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Hey guys,

So I posted a while back about not being able to activate my alarm for the life of me. I think I figured out what's going on. My car seems to have no idea when the driver's side door is open. When I open the door, the door lights don't turn on, the window doesn't go down, and the door open warning light on the dash doesn't light up. All of these do work for the passenger door. This means that the step for alarm activation where you have to open the door doesn't work, because the car has no idea that I opened the door. This also causes problems for the auto headlights because the car waits for you to leave the car and lock it before it decides to turn off the lights. With this problem, my car thinks that I've never left the car.

I was gonna probe things with a multimeter and try to track down the problem before I take it to the dealership to have them take a look at it. I wanted to see if anyone on here has any ideas on what places to check other than the switch itself.

Thanks a bunch!

So I think I just found the fix? I was having the same issue where my door wouldn’t know when it was opened and closed so my window never did that thing where it was crack open when it’s opened and close when the doors shut

I simply pressed the door switch in all the way and held it for a second and let it go, suddenly that light on the under side of the door came on and it knew it was open! Now everything works fine
JoweeHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote