follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2021, 10:03 PM   #1
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Reliable boost

Hey all,

Building my 13’ BRZ into an endurance racer. Looking to add some boost to give the car an extra kick. Doesn’t need to be anything crazy, but just needs more power.

Wondering what is the most reliable way to go for boost. Hoping to not change internals or anything like that, and would prefer SC but turbo is fine if it suits the build better. Car would not be sitting on rev limiter for long periods or anything, but would spend 8-12 to potentially 24 hours in the high end of the rev band.

Anyone endurance racing a boosted 86? Thoughts on best options?

Thanks!
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Jackson Racing would be the best kit for your goals. PM Mike @ CSG (lol saying that last part cuz I know he will).

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you don't get greedy on power then your main concern is heat.

a 5-6psi turbo kit, new oil pick up, hood vents, oil cooler, larger radiator, reflective heat tape on intake components, 5gallon WMI tank in trunk with a small 125CC nozzle to spray only at max boost, should be about 2 hours of spray. Alternatively you could have it on a switch/button but have nozzles mounted to mist the intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator instead of cooling IATs.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
What's your power goal based on classing?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
No such thing on these cars IMO.... And now that I see this "endurance racer"

Bad combo imo on the car/Engine unless you have deep pockets
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #6
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I like a SC to skip most of that under hood heat extras a turbo requires you to address with added vents, exhaust wrap, new exhaust on this car, and so forth.

With no internals upgrading, a base kit and it's CARB tune will get you started and put a good grin on your face over stock. Expect you'd want to add an oil cooler as well. Exhaust options are plentiful, and once freed up to breathe deeply, an Ecutek tune from CSG or similar.

I'm near this space now in the regards that I do have the HKS SC installed with their base tune. Only engine mod besides that is a CSG MXP cat back. And it's a kick in the butt to drive over stock. But, it's also my commuter. I'm saving the exhaust and tune finish on mine for later. Priorities shifted to the home for now. And the wife's truck needs tires this fall.

If you can do it all at once, great. If not, I like the SC path better as the exhaust isn't an integrated part of the install like a turbo. But namely, for me personally, it's because of not having to fight the under hood heat and allows me to keep my car looking entirely stock save some Enkei wheels and Rally Armors.

A colleague squeezed out 276 hp to the rear wheels with his turbo system. He had to put vents in his hood and all the other stuff for heat management. He had 17x9s on it, forget the tire, but the car looked lowered just because the tires filled out the wheel well gap. He had to retard the timing in first and second gears to keep it from breaking loose and spinning out due to his boost. Don't recall his psi number, been a while.

For your endurance goals, just be sure to buy the best parts/kit you can. Lots of reading in here to help you decide. It sure helped me. But I was specifically after something I could do in my garage start to finish with the HKS flash tablet version of the kit. I see it discontinued on some sites, but HKS still shows on website. Not sure, but it's still available if you choose that route. Only other tune on the tablet is the E85 tune, but that requires bigger injectors and fuel pump. They spec out Deatsch sp? specifically on the HKS website. So this kit is plug and play, but that's it, no more options that an Ecutek platform would provide.

For what you're after, I'd go straight to an Ecutek RACEROM system for maximum flexibility regardless of turbo or supercharger. There is a lot more changes you can make I learned from my turbo'd colleague. Rev limit changes, what it does at rev limit, timing, and so on. And there's solid tuners out there to take care of you. I'm not there yet, those are my next steps.

Meanwhile, I'm running on two months since installation with no codes and it functions just like before, but faster.

Last edited by jeepmor; 07-29-2021 at 09:57 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (07-29-2021)