follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Impressions of my new Remark axle back (muffler delete) exhaust

I recently received a Remark axle-back (muffler delete) exhaust for my 2022 BRZ and have now had it on my car for about 2 weeks.

I wanted to give you my initial impressions of this exhaust.

SOUND and VOLUME: It is LOUD (sometimes). I guess that’s what one should expect from an exhaust with no mufflers. That said, it is pretty docile a lot of the time such as while driving at a level speed of say 50 or 60 mph or at 4500 rpm or below. It is definitely quite loud on start-up, and also loud when you get on it and get into a higher rpm range (above 4500 rpm). It is also loud when you decelerate from higher rpm by taking your foot off the gas to slow down. Let’s just say this…when really accelerating and decelerating above 4500 rpm, you cannot hear the piped in engine noise at all. At level speed or cruising, I’d say the volume level is a 2 to 3. Getting on it above 4500 rpm, the volume level is a 7 to 8. Overall sound is great and not overly obnoxious.

APPEARANCE: I bought the version with the double wall tips, and at 4 ½ inches in diameter they look great. Exhaust welds look great as well.

COST: Pricing is very reasonable. I paid $403.75 and received a $30 credit since it was my initial purchase on the website I purchased it from, so my total cost was $373.50.

INSTALLATION: Installing the Remark was very easy, and the Remark exhaust does weigh a lot less that the OEM muffler and tips.

CONCLUSION: I love this exhaust (about 95% of the time) and would highly recommend it, especially to someone who drives their BRZ as a weekend type car (like I do). I have owned a lot of performance and muscle cars that have been far louder than my 2022 BRZ with this Remark exhaust, so I personally could easily handle it even on a daily basis. For most, I do think it “might” be too loud for use on a daily driver, especially if you constantly shift at 5000 to 7000 rpm.

MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
AK2112 (05-25-2022), jongers (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
ozafar

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How is the drone at highway cruising speeds? Not expecting perfection, but could you last say 5 hours?
ozafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozafar View Post
How is the drone at highway cruising speeds? Not expecting perfection, but could you last say 5 hours?
I hate to say this, but I've not ever driven my car on the highway since I purchased it in November. I always drive on nice curvy backroads when I take it out.

That said, I have gone a steady 60 mph on a few of the flatter sections of those roads, and the exhaust sound is nice and somewhat mellow with no drone. As I mentioned, the sound level (at least to my ears) is about a 2 to 3 out of 10 at constant level speeds.

I don't know about highway driving at 70 to 80 mph, but if it sounds the same as at 60 mph like I've experienced, I could easily handle the sound for 5 hours.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX2 View Post
I wanted to give you my initial impressions of this exhaust.

SOUND and VOLUME: It is LOUD (sometimes).
I really can't imagine how this option isn't extremely loud (almost all of the time) and obnoxiously loud (like call the cops for a noise ordinance violation) on start-up (particularly cold) and at lower speeds. Unless you live in the woods and never drive anywhere but off-road, can't imagine how this would be a kind thing for others' unsuspecting and unconsenting ears.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I really can't imagine how this option isn't extremely loud (almost all of the time) and obnoxiously loud (like call the cops for a noise ordinance violation) on start-up (particularly cold) and at lower speeds. Unless you live in the woods and never drive anywhere but off-road, can't imagine how this would be a kind thing for others' unsuspecting and unconsenting ears.
It is not extremely loud (almost all of the time), nor is it obnoxiously loud at lower speeds.

As I mentioned, it is fairly loud on start-up (but that loudness doesn't last very long) as you know.

At lower speeds and at lower rpm levels, the sound is about a 2 to 3 out of 10 on the loudness scale according to my ears (and no...I'm not deaf).

Only when I get on it and rev to about 4500 to 5000 rpm and above does it come alive and sound louder, but it certainly is not too loud, nor obnoxiously loud.

I personally think it sounds fantastic.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #6
CincyJohn

Quote:
It is not extremely loud (almost all of the time), nor is it obnoxiously loud at lower speeds.

As I mentioned, it is fairly loud on start-up (but that loudness doesn't last very long) as you know.

At lower speeds and at lower rpm levels, the sound is about a 2 to 3 out of 10 on the loudness scale according to my ears (and no...I'm not deaf).

Only when I get on it and rev to about 4500 to 5000 rpm and above does it come alive and sound louder, but it certainly is not too loud, nor obnoxiously loud.

I personally think it sounds fantastic.
I'd have to hear it myself to be sure. More importantly, I'd have to be sure I didn't hear it driving up my street at some ungodly hour or, if my neighbor had it, not having to use it as my morning alarm clock when he pulled out of his garage.

I generally try not to yuck someone else's yum if it's not hurting anyone else. But invading my space with your noise definitely falls outside that category.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #7
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Based on how loud these cars are with smaller mufflers I've heard in person, I have to imagine no mufflers is up there with Honda fart can bois as far as annoying volume.
CincyJohn (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
All the cars I have heard with a muffler delete, but all else stock haven’t been that loud to me. I’d reserve judgement till you heard it.
Midnightsky (05-25-2022), MikeNSX2 (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #9
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Based on how loud these cars are with smaller mufflers I've heard in person, I have to imagine no mufflers is up there with Honda fart can bois as far as annoying volume.
It's actually not. The only time the Remark is loud is on start up and when accelerating really quickly and staying in higher rpm levels (above 4500 rpm). Even though it might be loud above 4500 rpm, it sounds really good. Not ricer material at all...believe me. I'm a retired 64 year old stockbroker who would never own a car that sounded like a riced out fart can Honda.

If you are familiar with Miata's, the loudness of the Remark on my BRZ is similar to the Goodwin Racing Race exhaust I had on my previously owned Miata ND.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
CincyJohn

Quote:
It's actually not. The only time the Remark is loud is on start up and when accelerating really quickly and staying in higher rpm levels (above 4500 rpm). Even though it might be loud above 4500 rpm, it sounds really good. Not ricer material at all...believe me. I'm a retired 64 year old stockbroker who would never own a car that sounded like a riced out fart can Honda.

If you are familiar with Miata's, the loudness of the Remark on my BRZ is similar to the Goodwin Racing Race exhaust I had on my previously owned Miata ND.
Once again, would have to hear it for myself. More importantly, would have to hear it starting up in my neighbor's garage or driving down my street.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #11
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It would be nice if companies would down load a $4 app to their phones when taking video and give us numbers between stock and their exhaust.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It would be nice if companies would down load a $4 app to their phones when taking video and give us numbers between stock and their exhaust.

Or just buy a proper DB meter since that’s what they do. Those phone apps are not that accurate.
Midnightsky (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Or just buy a proper DB meter since that’s what they do. Those phone apps are not that accurate.
A few years back I did a comparison between 10 downable apps and my $1000 professional, calibrated, dB meter.
Turns out that 7 out of 10 were within a dB or so, 2 were off by about 10dB and one wasn't even close enough to say it worked. All were measured at the exact same distance and conditions.
All in all they were at par or better than the couple of $50 meters we had.
NoHaveMSG (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 05:09 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
It isn't just measurable volume that can be annoying though. I have heard some low volume exhausts that made a very annoying noise even at a distance. Have also heard some rather loud ones that the tone made them not seem so bad.
When you get up into volumes of 80 to 100 dBs the volume difference can be hard to tell so tone can be what affects the ear more.

All in all sound can be very subjective.