follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Clunk on full lock left turn

I know asking about this is a long shot but i still hope someone could help diagnose this peculiar issue.

I installed ST coilovers on my car, everything was nice and tight and no noises or issues(or so i thought). After a few days i had to park and fully lock my steering wheel to the left, i heard a clunk/twang(from the right front).. something of that nature. It could be i never heard it before because i dont find myself needing to lock my steering wheel often. I replaced the endlinks,(whiteline adjsutable) because i thought it would benefit the swaybar preload and the driveability in all since the car is dropped about 1-1.25" accross. I installed the links and made sure it was all very tight, top and bottom nuts with washers, i made sure there was no preload on swaybar and installed on ramps with suspension loaded. I still get the clunk and its only when turning full lock left(noise comes from passanger side front) and moving forward not in reverse(weird i know). I did notice that the passanger side endlnik, thew top boot is not fully sealed, but i still dont think that could be a problem since they're a couple of weeks old at most and it did it before with oem links. I've jacked up the car and turned left and right to make sure nothing is hitting. No noises occur while in the air, so its only when the suspension is loaded. I'm going to put the oem endlink on that right side and check, i'm thinking the bearing on the coilover?, but they're almost new.

Any help would be greatly appreciateed, sorry for the long post.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
SubiePig

Drives: -'02 PSM WRX, '94 Miata, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When you put the adjustable endlinks on did you shorten them the same distance you lowered the car by from the OEM endlink length?

Sponsered by:Chasebays/Corr Performance Tuning/KartBoy/Bad Panda Motorsports/Racer-X Fabrication
STX Build thread 14th/67 SCCA Nationals (2014)
SubiePig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubiePig For This Useful Post:
yomny (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
yomny

Clunk on full lock left turn

I did shortened them, not by the exact distance though. I shortened it to separate it from the control arm as it was pretty close. Thanks for your help. I'm going to install the oem link on that side and adjust the other side to match since it never really hit the LCA and see if the clunk persists. I'm thinking the suspension, coil overs could have something to do here. The coil overs are well within the specified range of height so I wouldn't suppose they're at fault though. I'm attributing the problem to the suspension or end link because the car is fairly new(less than 10k mls) although I do know things could go wrong.
I'm also going to install just to try the front oem wheels/tires to rule that out.

Last edited by yomny; 11-12-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
yomny

Update: The culprit is the wheels/tires.. not sure why or how.. i removed the end links and replicated the problem, so that wasn't it. I replaced my wheels Rota 17x9 +42 with nitto nt555 255/40 tires with the oem wheel/tire combo and gone, no clunk when turning left at full lock. Something is causing a clunk, not sure what the wheel and tire are hitting but its doing something, the clunk sounds like an unwinding, spring, tension clunk.. not sure if it makes sense. Could be causing the coils to bind I guess i'll just avoid turning full lock until i decide to change wheels and or tires. Thanks for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to yomny For This Useful Post:
rb6freak (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mine does the same thing going down my steep driveway full lock left, only sometimes though.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
yomny

I still can't make out what the tire is hitting besides the obvious inner fender and other things but then again its like you mentioned above, at full lock left and with some suspension articulation. Oh well, maybe on my next wheels i'll opt for smaller offset.