follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
why

Drives: 1977 GMC '13 Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pads for track days

After doing two track days with the stock brake pads and having to back off after just a few laps because of brake fade I started searching for something better. I read several posts on this forum and decided to try the CL RC6 pads on my car. I put on the front pads (rears were on back order) and did a two day drivers school put on by RMVR. After several sessions of flogging the car as hard as it would stand, I was truly impressed with how great these pads worked! Braking from 107-108 mph (redline in fourth gear) for a very sharp left hander going into the infield these pads worked lap after lap session after session for two days with no fade and great initial bite and feel.

I have tried other brands of track pads on my other track toy, a turboed Miata, and none of them have felt as good as the RC6 pads do on my FR-S. And when I got home the wheels still looked great! Unlike the other pads I have tried, these don't seem to coat the wheels with that thick black layer that damages the finish.

I switched back to the stock pads after driving the CLs on the street for a while and was really surprised by how much less bite the stock pads have.
It was a real eye opener. I am considering running the CLs all the time but they do squeal a bit at times under light braking, so we'll see...
why is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why For This Useful Post:
DanoFA20 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Bed in the brake pads and the squeal should be reduced or completely minimized. This is why we emphasize having the right equipment for intended application. Happy driving!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good write up! I've heard good things about CL pads, I might try some Performance Friction pads as they get a good write up and are very well priced (£50ish).

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote