follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
Squisher

Drives: 2022 Tacoma, 2023 gr86 on order
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Acquiring a gr86?

I am like many I believe impatiently awaiting a new gr86.

I am curious what others are using for strategies to actually take delivery of one of these cars.

Currently I have a deposit at one dealer who has given a fairly optimistic wait time of 4-5 months. Which if I'm to believe what I've been reading around online is pretty unrealistic. It's a decent deposit with them 2k (cdn I'm from BC) refundable up until a Vin is supplied. So obviously I am somewhat concerned that I'm giving a short to longish term interest free loan to this dealer. As I see them advertising trying to get people to 'factory order' just about every Toyota possible including the Gr86. Are people seeing dealers do this? Using deposits in lieu of actual sales to keep some capital rolling through? I was told I was third on their list for premium manuals and first for my colour choice but that an actual allocation request was being done in our name. Only verbal communication on that part.

I'm curious because I know my other local dealer is $500 for a deposit refundable right up until delivery. Much better but about $1100 more for the gr86 which was all dealer fees/addons. I know this market is flipped on its head but I have zero interest in having a dealer 'paint protect' (wax) my new car for $1100 when my intention is to have extensive ppf and ceramic coating right out of the gate. Paint correction if required would be done by myself or a qualified detailer. I've bought new vehicles in the past that have been nearly deal breakingly swirled up by dealership detailing departments.

I also watch the classifieds daily for gr86's and am seeing the odd one pop up slightly used of course at a premium. Just can't bring myself to swallow that pill.

I've heard of people having multiple deposits down with many dealers. Curious how this has worked out for anyone? Also curious if dealers/Toyota Canada frowns upon this in anyway? And just curious on any other tips or tools others have used to acquire this car without getting taken to the cleaners on markups?

Is it just wait and hope? Maybe I'll make it or maybe I'll pick something else up if the right something pops up?
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:05 PM   #2
woodchip

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like the same as here. I ordered mine a month ago. Dealer said 8 months. I expect an added markup when it arrives. I'm willing to walk. If you can't be patient, you will get screwed. Good on the Tacoma and 86. Same as me.
woodchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
KongolQc

Drives: 2023 Gr86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2k ?? Damn

Here in quebec it's 500$ thats it.
People put 1k on civic type R

2k$ is insane
KongolQc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
Squisher

Drives: 2022 Tacoma, 2023 gr86 on order
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes I thought the deposit was high as well. Have confirmed that's the going rate at this dealer, not just a special price for myself as I opted out of all upsells. They were trying to hard sell dealer undercoating. I'm fine with the deposit as long as the car actually comes in a somewhat timely fashion. And if I decide at some point to buy something else or get tired of waiting I'm not really worried about that money sitting there doing nothing for me. My only concern really is if they somehow become insolvent and I lose my money. Unlikely I think but I don't have access to their financials, so my comfort level is based on......nothing. Lol.

My other local dealer as mentioned is a $500 deposit but the total price is $1100 more due to them not budging on their upsells. .

Last real sports car was a 350z. Then I got a 2015 Mazda 3gt sedan which never felt like much of a sporty car to me and was written off about a year ago due to a deer. I replaced that short term with a 2010civic coupe which I just sold after getting the 2022 taco. So currently my wife and I are sharing the Tacoma and a 09crv until hopefully a new gr86 arrives. Then I'll sell off the crv. Have a few other vehicles as well, motorcycles/full size pickups that don't get daily driven.

My wife has been super excited about the taco so I have been daily driving the crv quite a bit. A fine automobile if you don't care about automobiles. Tacoma is a manual and the crv is an auto, rarely ever own or choose to drive a auto myself.

Serious first world problem having to wait for a sports car. But I appreciate the input/thoughts anyways.
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote