follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2022, 12:55 AM   #239
TheBRZsKnees

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Did anyone end up needing the T'eyes Power Filter? I get severe feedback as soon as my amp is connected. There is an alternator wine as well.

My amp setup had a black wire that was spliced into the black wire of the 10-pin harness. I reproduced this setup with the new harness, but it didn't make any difference.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #240
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here2rock View Post
I recently purchased this unit, all is working very well but the reverse camera functionality. I have a 2012 Toyota GTS 86. I have used a harness to drop the voltage from 12V to 8V using Aerpro adapter. Camera works but the reverse trigger is not working. The camera neeeds to be picked from the main menu on the screen rather than switching when reversing. Is there a possible fix? I don't really want install a new camera and run new cables.
I don't remember exactly where I picked up the reverse signal. It's not specific to the Teyes HU so if you broaden your search to installing a backup cam you should find a post around here somewhere talking about where to get that signal. If I recall it was down around the OBD2 port.

I know you don't feel like installing the new camera that came with the HU but I strongly suggest you do. I was lazy and reused my OEM camera at first but then did a quick test fit outside the car just to see what the Teyes camera looked like and was blown away by the differance. It's well worth it to install the new camera. It's really that much better.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #241
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
The power filter improved the interference. I don't hear any alternator wine anymore. I do still get a high pitched sound when turning on my headlights, but that fades out in 10 to 15 seconds.

I still seem to have some sort of grounding issue though. About one in 10 times that I start the car, I get a pop sound and either the front or back speakers won't work. Powering the head unit off and back on resolves. I have the gain dialed in, and everything sounds great. No other interference.

I hate to ask for general audio advice here, but does anyone have any tips? I've confirmed that the amp is still properly grounded, and tried splicing an additional ground wire into the harness. I don't see any exposed wiring. Nothing was changed other than the HU.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #242
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBRZsKnees View Post
The power filter improved the interference. I don't hear any alternator wine anymore. I do still get a high pitched sound when turning on my headlights, but that fades out in 10 to 15 seconds.

I still seem to have some sort of grounding issue though. About one in 10 times that I start the car, I get a pop sound and either the front or back speakers won't work. Powering the head unit off and back on resolves. I have the gain dialed in, and everything sounds great. No other interference.

I hate to ask for general audio advice here, but does anyone have any tips? I've confirmed that the amp is still properly grounded, and tried splicing an additional ground wire into the harness. I don't see any exposed wiring. Nothing was changed other than the HU.
Odd, wish I could give you advice but I haven't suffered any noises. No interference on my unit

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #243
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hey guys, I want to use CarPlay for maps/navigation with my iPhone but also would like to see OBD data. Do I just need to buy the OBD2 BT adapter or would I also need to root the device and install the torque App and switch between CarPlay and Torque App? is there a TEYES native app that shows all the OBD2 data?

Anyone see a difference in performance with the 3G+32GB version vs the 6G+128GB version? Which one does everyone have

Looks like they also have a new FW update for august 2022 https://www.teyes.com/pages/normal-c...-2022-firmware

Last edited by FrickingReallySlow; 08-29-2022 at 05:34 PM.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:29 PM   #244
Here2rock

Drives: 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3myx626 View Post
Did you have any trouble getting the trim to sit flush with the 2nd dash piece? I can't get the trim to sit flush.
Did you manage to fix your issue?

I am having a similar problem. It does not sit flush and securely in the dash with the trim provided. There were no clips provided by Teyes, which was disappointing for a $650 AUD HU. I am finding that OEM clips are too loose on the trim provided, they are almost impossible to take off on the original trim but come off easily on the Teyes trim. I have lost about 10 clips in the dash because they are loose.

The HU has come off loose and fallen a couple of times while driving. Any suggestions how to fix the issue?

Last edited by Here2rock; 08-29-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Here2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #245
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Did you order recently from teyes website? Seems most people says it’s too snug. Maybe contact them for a replacement trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here2rock View Post
Did you manage to fix your issue?

I am having a similar problem. It does not sit flush and securely in the dash with the trim provided. There were no clips provided by Teyes, which was disappointing for a $650 AUD HU. I am finding that OEM clips are too loose on the trim provided, they are almost impossible to take off on the original trim but come off easily on the Teyes trim. I have lost about 10 clips in the dash because they are loose.

The HU has come off loose and fallen a couple of times while driving. Any suggestions how to fix the issue?
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #246
Here2rock

Drives: 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Did you order recently from teyes website? Seems most people says it’s too snug. Maybe contact them for a replacement trim
Yes I did order directly from Teyes, mine is too loose with the OEM clip. It is pain in the back side to return and ask for a replacement.
Here2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #247
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
Well, this has been nothing if not frustrating. I never got rid of the feedback, and later experimentation with the gain on my amp has made me wonder if I even ever improved it at all. The popping issue continued, and upon trying Apple Carplay, I started noticing strange screen discoloration. The discoloration only affects certain screen elements, and generally disappears when navigating to another app. (Image below is edited to remove street names).

In addition to the power filter, I tried RCA caps and several different grounds. Eventually, I gave up and brought it to a shop. They confirmed that the issue was the unit itself.

I suppose there could be other possibilities such as incompatibility with my amp or something, but the only route I see now is T'eyes support. Needless to say, I'm bracing myself for more frustration. Anyone have any tips?
Old 10-06-2022, 05:19 PM   #248
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
I set up a return with AliExpress, but all I really want is to exchange the tablet.

T'eyes referred me to the AliExpress seller, who in turn referred me to their "engineer" via WhatsApp. That inquiry has been unanswered for the better part of a week.

I'm running out of time in the return window, so I guess I'm ripping all the wiring out tonight. I'm hesitant to repurchase the same unit, but I wonder if the OBD2 dongle I got would work with a similar unit from a different manufacturer.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #249
ermax

Quote:
I started noticing strange screen discoloration. The discoloration only affects certain screen elements, and generally disappears when navigating to another app. (Image below is edited to remove street names).
This is a CarPlay issue that effects all CarPlay headhunts, including CarPlay that comes OEM in the GR86. If you look on Reddit r/CarPlay you will see people complain about this all the time. It doesn't happen to me that often so I don't worry about it much. I suspect it's due to packet lose over the WiFi connection which probably wouldn't happen if I connected via USB but I've never bothered to try.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #250
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
This is a CarPlay issue that effects all CarPlay headhunts, including CarPlay that comes OEM in the GR86. If you look on Reddit r/CarPlay you will see people complain about this all the time. It doesn't happen to me that often so I don't worry about it much. I suspect it's due to packet lose over the WiFi connection which probably wouldn't happen if I connected via USB but I've never bothered to try.
That's good to know. I guess I'll experiment with other locations for the Wi-Fi antenna for future setups. I had mine under the driver's side dash after experiencing connection issues with it behind the stereo.

In my case, the problem was pretty severe. It inevitably looked like that after about 10 minutes.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #251
ermax

Quote:
That's good to know. I guess I'll experiment with other locations for the Wi-Fi antenna for future setups. I had mine under the driver's side dash after experiencing connection issues with it behind the stereo.

In my case, the problem was pretty severe. It inevitably looked like that after about 10 minutes.
I used to get this issue more often and then realized I accidentally screwed the WiFi antenna into the GPS port. I'm amazed my WiFi worked at all without an antenna connected. After moving the antenna to the correct port I rarely get this video artifact issue and Wireless CarPlay also connects faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
TheBRZsKnees (10-14-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 02:01 AM   #252
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
I've returned the T'eyes unit and purchased a 9" Joying Android 10 unit instead. The Joying system has been so smooth by comparison. The harness took a bit more figuring out, but the audio is clear and powerful. No visual artifacts in Carplay. And the Joying unit has a volume knob, which is way more of a benefit than expected.

Seems I was just unlucky with the CC3 since I'm not seeing many similar experiences. I wouldn't go back to T'eyes though.

Anyway, I have an unused T'eyes OBD II dongle that I'll sell cheap if anyone wants it...