follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #29
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
Unless someone can design a header that will also fit with the factory heat shield. Otherwise it is no go for me.
Design a header that can fit the factory heatshied? Use the stock header! That will fit perfectly!
In all seriousness, you can ceramic coat this and be done with it! Why would a manufacturer try to do that and limit it self in terms of design (efficiency etc) just so can accommodate such an insignificant aspect of a header.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #30
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Unless someone can design a header that will also fit with the factory heat shield. Otherwise it is no go for me.
ceramic coating a header leads to less temperatures in the engine bay than the stock with heatshield. there is a thread on here somewhere that showed ceramic coated (uel I believe) vs stock header+heatshield, and the ceramic is a good bit cooler in the engine bay.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad11491 For This Useful Post:
Infinity (06-28-2016)
Old 10-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #31
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
ceramic coating a header leads to less temperatures in the engine bay than the stock with heatshield. there is a thread on here somewhere that showed ceramic coated (uel I believe) vs stock header+heatshield, and the ceramic is a good bit cooler in the engine bay.

catless headers tend to run a bit cooler due no cat restricting flow and holding heat
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #32
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
150tq from 3000?!? That's on E85 I'm assuming. And by timing, you mean ignition timing not cam timing, right? Very impressive.
yes
Old 10-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #33
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So you are hearing the valve train noise through these headers but not the OFH? I wonder if this is more of a EL header thing than it is a "thin walled tubing" thing, since this noise can also be heard while I was running a Tomei EL.
I hear more valvetrain noise with the ACE versus the OFH, and the pitch has changed due to the UEL/EL.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
solidONE (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #34
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
yes
I was able to wring out 160-165ftlb of torque on E85 with this "other" header, but it's nowhere close to 150 at 3k. The power does not start to build up until 3500~3600, hitting 150 at 4000.

Is it the extra length of the secondaries that allow it to do this? Also, I've experimented with different size front pipes. Let me just say there is a very good reason why ACE headers went with a pregnant 3" FP.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #35
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
Can you provide a link on that?
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #36
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Quote:
Can you provide a link on that?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77107

just searched "ceramic coat temperature"
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #37
TorqueMan777

Drives: 13 BRZ, 18 STI
Quote:
Also, I've experimented with different size front pipes. Let me just say there is a very good reason why ACE headers went with a pregnant 3" FP.
Can you elaborate? I've been wondering why they went with that design.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #38
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMan777 View Post
Can you elaborate? I've been wondering why they went with that design.
From my experimenting with different size front pipes I've found that the larger diameter actually produced more mid-range torque and throttle response without impeding flow or top end gains compared to a straight equal diameter exhaust from the the overpipe to catback. I really don't understand the physics behind why the sudden increase in diameter right in the middle of the exhaust has that effect on this car, but results are results. I'm not sure why it works, but I know it works. lol

Edit: Here you go @TorqueMan777 Stock FP vs 63mm FP vs 70mm FP

It's not quite a 3" diameter, but I've no doubt the even larger pipe will have a similar result as I got with my 70mm pipe.

and E85 vs 91 petrol while I'm at it

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 10-22-2015 at 04:10 PM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
8686 (10-23-2015), Hostile_Kittens (07-10-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #39
GT86meMR2

Drives: MR Spyder/GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
Hey Guys, here's a quick review of my ACE header experience. I picked up this header from Matt at ACE while up in VA at 86Expo this year. I had not planned on picking one up, but after talking with Matt, I was really impressed to hear to story behind the making of this header, and was eager to give it a try. I ran this header on my car while it was N/A as well as now that it is boosted. So far, I only have dyno charts from prior to the supercharger, so I will update this thread once I get my car strapped back on the rollers with the Edelbrock kit.

Installation Time: 2 Hours

Installation Difficulty: **

Installation Items:
- ACE Type-B Header
- ACE 350 Overpipe

Previously Installed Exhaust Items:
- Borla Factory Axle Back
- Stock Frontpipe

Unboxing:
The header came well packaged in expandable foam, and included all gaskets and hardware packaged neatly on a piece of card stock with shrink plastic over all the components. Each header is serialized and even included a separate dog tag, which was a cool touch.

Hardware Included:
The header included all gaskets necessary to install, which includes:
- 2 Head to Manifold Gaskets
- 1 Header to Overpipe Gasket
- 1 Overpipe to Frontpipe Gasket
As well as hardware for the unique header to overpipe transition:
- 3 Exhaust Studs
- 3 Exhaust Nuts
The gaskets included were nice quality and featured the fire ring around the ID to prevent gasket blow out. Very nice.

Hardware Impressions:
The hardware included was a little lack-luster with standard nuts and studs. A set of stainless metal locking nuts or a set of split lock washers would have been a nice touch to add to this kit to prevent potential for the nuts to back off. The header to overpipe gasket seems to be a unique gasket that would not be available as an OTS part should you have any issues with it.

Header Material/Weld Quality:
This is probably my favorite part of this header. The welds all look phenomenal, and were all back purged. The merge inside of the header looks flawless, as well as all of the pipe to flange transitions. The Type B header utilizes a MIG weld at the merges due to the angle of the merge, and it looks great as well. All flanges on the header are nice and thick, and are also of equal material quality as the header tubing.

Fitment:
The header fit the car very well, especially given the tight clearances from the 350 overpipe. As noted by ACE, the 350 overpipe does rub the subframe, but only under hard left hand turns, on stock engine mounts. They suggest stiffer mounts, which I have not tried yet to remedy the rubbing. I received the first production Type B header, and as such ran into one fitment issue. The primary o2 sensor bung was welded such that the sensor came in contact with a connector on the front of the engine when assembled to the car. After notifying Matt, ACE began working on a solution, and eventually sent me out an adapter to space the o2 sensor away from the connector on the engine. I chose to mount my secondary o2 sensor in the new adapter since I did not want my AFR readings to be skewed in the primary o2 by spacing it out of the exhaust stream with the new adapter. In doing so, I had to drill out the adapter to accommodate for the longer sensor tip in the secondary o2 sensor. I also removed the factory heat shield on the o2 sensor for some additional clearance, as this relocation is still a pretty tight fit.

Dyno Facility:
Phantasm Motorsports
919 Capital Boulevard
Raleigh, NC 27613
DynoJet Dynamometer

Power Gains:
This is probably what most people are interested in, as the biggest selling point of this header is the claims made of 200whp on an otherwise stock car, with an appropriate tune. With that being said, I chose to compare this header to an OFT Stage 2 setup that I was running prior to making the change to this header, and as such utilized the same OFT Stage 2 tune, only tweaking the VVT tables to compensate for the new header, and adding a bit of timing across the board (~1 degree). I did start to see some knock in the higher RPMs so I didn't advance it any further. Below is a chart comparing a stock dyno run to my best OFT/OFH run to my best OFT/ACE run. While the peak numbers are not vastly different, the midrange is huge, and was VERY noticeable around town.

Sound Differences:
I prefer the sound of the UEL header on our engines, however I was willing to give up the sound for power. The EL header does make the car sound much more like a 2.0L high rev engine, so keeping a quiet exhaust on the car was my priority. I also notice a lot more 'mechanical' noise while driving around town, likely due to the wall thickness of the header tubing. I may try to header wrap the unit down the road and see if that helps with the sound.

Overall Impressions (NA):
I am happy I made the switch to the ACE header over the OFH. The midrange power and torque was dramatically improved, and the car was actually fun to drive throughout the entire powerband. Even without the advertised peak horsepower numbers achieved through a custom dyno tune, the power delivery from this header was awesome. I have since added an Edelbrock Supercharger Kit to the car, so I will post up some numbers after I have had a chance to get it on the dyno with this header.

Do you still have this tune you used with the ACE before you went SC? it would be a good base tune for people using ACE 350 with OFT i think. greetz
Old 07-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #40
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I want to see it with E85
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #41
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I want to see it with E85
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88696
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Teseo (07-07-2016)
Old 10-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #42
thornad

Drives: 2016 GT86 N/A
ACE basic tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86meMR2 View Post
Do you still have this tune you used with the ACE before you went SC? it would be a good base tune for people using ACE 350 with OFT i think. greetz
Interested too, do you still have the original tune, or at least the VVT tables ?
thornad is offline   Reply With Quote