follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #71
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jealously is a green eyed monster...
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #72
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That it's not your car, that you didn't earn it, and you will do everything in your power to be successful and educated so that you one day may show your children the same lifestyle.
Lotta pressure there brother. It does work out sometimes if you do listen to your parents in exchange for a free and very cool ride. My brother has 2 kids similarly privileged but they are also good students one in 4th yr the other 3 rd yr school, attended 6 months Australia, 6 mths Israel, Montreal for the rest, etc. Totally amazing life in every way and getting grades. Now, both have only worked as counsellor s at the very expensive summer camp they attended for years. So, what if their grades sucked? Anyway if parents make good kids that's good enough for me.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #73
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Okay, it's not my car. And I don't live in my own house or eat my own food. I don't have "my own" dog and I didn't buy my bed. I'm going to college to get a degree that I can get a job with to get a job that I love and can provide for my family twice over. And, you know what? Maybe instead of buying my son and/or daughter a car, I'll teach them how to restore one. But, for right now, I'd really like suggestions for a summer job.
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #74
Dtronic

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourifornian View Post
I actually know some guys (through wakeboarding) in that industry and I'm going to start asking about jobs once summer gets closer...I would not mind spending every day in a boat
I used to know they guys from Paradise Parasail. They run Ozarks and Ft Myers Beach here.
Worked for them and a couple other companies that did parsailing and jet ski tours.
Dtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #75
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Jealously is a green eyed monster...
I live rent free in the house I grew up in, I eat my parents' food, they sent me to college on their dime, and they paid for my car. I paid registration, shipping, and pay for everything else. No jealousy, just making sure he's aware of what he has.

Quote:
But, for right now, I'd really like suggestions for a summer job.
Something with transferable skills is your bet. Construction? Entry level IT? Perhaps something that utilizes whatever skills you already have?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #76
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtronic View Post
I used to know they guys from Paradise Parasail. They run Ozarks and Ft Myers Beach here.
Worked for them and a couple other companies that did parsailing and jet ski tours.
I see their boats all around haha. Working something like that seems like it'd be cool...except for all the boaters who have no clue what to do around the parasail boats...
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #77
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Something with transferable skills is your bet. Construction? Entry level IT? Perhaps something that utilizes whatever skills you already have?
This is partly why I'm looking for something automotive or boating related. I'd really like to get more mechanical experience (and maybe learn about working on my own car in the process).
Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #78
ThePoet

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm in a very similar situation as you bro. Except I'm 17. Always cool to find other young guys on here who are really appreciative of what they have. (Even if their parents did "hand it to them") And if there's one thing I've learned from having a couple nice cars in my year and half of driving, its that haters are gonna hate. It doesn't matter what you do or what you say, they'll be there, and you just have to ignore them.
But anyways, about the job. I'm a host at Chili's right now, and it's not bad. Really teaches you how to act professional and deal with guests and their complaints. Plus, depending on where you work, hosts get 2-3% of all tips made in a given shift. On a busy night, that usually works out to about $20-$30, which isn't bad. And also, you can take food service experience ANYWHERE. There's something to be said for that too... Good luck with the job search man!
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #79
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I thank my job for grossly overpaying me so I can waste money on frivolous purchases for my BRZ.
hahahahah what do you do? I thought I was only the only one that get's overpaid. Anybody else?
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #80
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoet View Post
I'm in a very similar situation as you bro. Except I'm 17. Always cool to find other young guys on here who are really appreciative of what they have. (Even if their parents did "hand it to them") And if there's one thing I've learned from having a couple nice cars in my year and half of driving, its that haters are gonna hate. It doesn't matter what you do or what you say, they'll be there, and you just have to ignore them.
But anyways, about the job. I'm a host at Chili's right now, and it's not bad. Really teaches you how to act professional and deal with guests and their complaints. Plus, depending on where you work, hosts get 2-3% of all tips made in a given shift. On a busy night, that usually works out to about $20-$30, which isn't bad. And also, you can take food service experience ANYWHERE. There's something to be said for that too... Good luck with the job search man!
There is actually I think 3 or 4 other 17-19 y.o. on here. The job at Chili's actually sounds pretty sweet, did you work up to it or just apply for that position?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #81
ThePoet

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
There is actually I think 3 or 4 other 17-19 y.o. on here. The job at Chili's actually sounds pretty sweet, did you work up to it or just apply for that position?
Are there? I think you're only the second I've see other than myself... And yeah, I just applied and got called for an interview the next day, and then started the week after that. It's been about 4 months now. If you can find something like that, I'd say go for it.
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #82
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoet View Post
Are there? I think you're only the second I've see other than myself... And yeah, I just applied and got called for an interview the next day, and then started the week after that. It's been about 4 months now. If you can find something like that, I'd say go for it.
I think @dem00n (look above) is 18(?) and there's another kid who's a senior in high school and posted his highlight reel in the off topic section and has an FR-S. Maybe we should start a group lol.