follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #2367
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver86 View Post
Sorry, none of that changes the fact that the majority of people who try E0 find their chirps gone.

It doesn't work for some, but it does work for most you have tried it. I never said it was a "magic bullet" but clearly its more effective than having the pump changed or whining about it.
It's as effective as effective as having the pump changed and as effective as ignoring it until it goes away on it's own, those seem to be the three options that have lead to a quiet engine bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Nope, now that Skullworks took a pump apart and gave his ESTIMATION of what was causing it, all evidence that doesn't support his theory gets thrown out the window.
Considering he's the only person to post something other than "I tried this and that happened" it's got a bit more weight than any other arm-chair quarter-backing.

Quote:
Which is sad because I've demonstrated E0 removing the chirp over and over again.
Over and over again with a non-100% success rate does not a solution make. And saying "well you must have done it wrong" does not magically return E0 to a 100% success rate.

I agree that Ethanol Free is probably the best option for those driven mad by the pump, but to tout it as the "reason" the pump chirps is premature at best.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #2368
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Considering he's the only person to post something other than "I tried this and that happened" it's got a bit more weight than any other arm-chair quarter-backing.
I am not just arm-chair quarter-backnig... I am telling you I put ethanol-free gas in my car and the chirps went away immediately and never came back. I am not saying "well I think that if I put E0 in my car..." I am telling you. And so are other people.

I am not trying to say E0 is a "fix all for everyone". But it has worked for A LOT of the people who have tried it. And denying that as evidence is just ignorant, despite someone taking one apart. Skullworks took one apart and made some estimations of what he thought the issues were, but that doesn't make it fact. And there is nothing that says his estimate and the ethanol evidence have to be mutually exclusive.

You sitting around saying that, despite any evidence otherwise, ethanol content and the chirp are unrelated is just as bad, if not worse, than the people saying that E0 will for sure fix everyone's chirp.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #2369
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
You sitting around saying that, despite any evidence otherwise, ethanol content and the chirp are unrelated is just as bad, if not worse, than the people saying that E0 will for sure fix everyone's chirp.
I am sitting around saying that nobody has any idea wtf is going on.

But we fundamentally agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #2370
Silver86

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Over and over again with a non-100% success rate does not a solution make. And saying "well you must have done it wrong" does not magically return E0 to a 100% success rate.
I'm still trying to find where I said it was a 100% success rate? Care to quote me?

I've said that everyone I've personally shown E0 to has had their chirps corrected by the use of E0.

I do believe that its more likely that the people who aren't getting a fix out of E0 are probably being sold a product that isn't true E0 than there is something wildly different between my pump and their pump.

BUT

That statement doesn't mean that I'm not open to the fact that other people have tried and not had success.

The reason they aren't having success with E0 when the majority of the people who use E0 report their chirps resolved is what I would like to know.
Silver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver86 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #2371
strat61caster
-

Quote:
I'm still trying to find where I said it was a 100% success rate? Care to quote me?
Quote:
Every car meet I've gone to 3/4 of the people had chirps and the only people who didn't were people like me who ran E0.
Quote:
Which is sad because I've demonstrated E0 removing the chirp over and over again.
Quote:
Then you probably didn't get E0 or you got a little ethanol in the tank.

The Ethanol is causing it...
Quote:
Ethanol free does help. I've been chirp free since switching to E0 for over 5k miles now. The only time I've hard chirps in that 5k is when I've been too low to make it to my E0 pump and had to put in 1 gallon of 92 E10 to make it to the 92 E0 pump.

Every single person I've gotten to switch over to E0 has reported no chirps since.
Quote:
I have been running E0 for over 4k miles now with no chirps. One day I was low on gas and had to put some ethanol gas in so I could make it to the E0 pump.

Chirps came back the second I started my car after putting in the ethanol gas.

Later that day after I had burned that gas away and it was running on the E0 gas the crickets were gone.

Its the ethanol dude.

Shell is BSing you.
:happy0180:

Edit: Care to comment on my car with 12k miles, all ethanol fill ups and silent as anyone could ever hope their 86 to be?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #2372
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Edit: Care to comment on my car with 12k miles, all ethanol fill ups and silent as anyone could ever hope their 86 to be?
Have you had your hearing checked?
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #2373
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

I can't comment on your good luck, but I know for a fact if I run E0, I get 0 chirping. If I run E10, I get crickets. That sucks because the E0 is 91, but I can get 94 if I use E10. My car (especially in the heat of summer) runs noticeably better on the 94. Am I saying that the ethanol is the root cause of the problem? No. However, in my case, something in the pump has a problem with something in the fuel that contains ethanol. With people like yourself that have had no issues with blended fuels, it's a real head scratcher. I noticed something this weekend that kind of adds to my confusion...I won't post about it until I put some more miles on the car, as adding more speculation to this thread isn't necessary.

Let me ask you this...What have you been using for Engine oil?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #2374
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Let me ask you this...What have you been using for Engine oil?
The link with engine oil is fascinating. Clearly the fuel gets in the oil but the oil can't get in the fuel so how can it shut the chirps up?

I keep repeating the obvious that transcends all speculation about the cause.
Countries that don't have ethanol or it's not in the grade we use, don't have any cars with the chirps.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #2375
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So for those of us who can't get ethanol free gasoline(and that's probably the majority of the country) what can we do to stop the fuel pump from chirping? Obviously Toyota didn't think this through if most of the gasoline in America has ethanol added to it.
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #2376
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooki View Post
So for those of us who can't get ethanol free gasoline(and that's probably the majority of the country) what can we do to stop the fuel pump from chirping? Obviously Toyota didn't think this through if most of the gasoline in America has ethanol added to it.
Most, if not all, cars are rated for E10 these days and our cars certainly are.
So they engineered that into the fuel systems but I don't think they actually tested it with E10 being hard to obtain in Japan. The part that's failing to operate quietly is still doing it's job and doesn't seem to be causing any other problems but the noise is from excess friction and friction causes wear, so who knows what will happen?

There are oils designed to be added to fuel to provide extra lubrication.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #2377
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think the technical term for this is "piss poor planning"....
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #2378
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Most, if not all, cars are rated for E10 these days and our cars certainly are.
So they engineered that into the fuel systems but I don't think they actually tested it with E10 being hard to obtain in Japan. The part that's failing to operate quietly is still doing it's job and doesn't seem to be causing any other problems but the noise is from excess friction and friction causes wear, so who knows what will happen?

There are oils designed to be added to fuel to provide extra lubrication.
Yes..such as clean burning TC-W3
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #2379
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
The link with engine oil is fascinating. Clearly the fuel gets in the oil but the oil can't get in the fuel so how can it shut the chirps up?

I keep repeating the obvious that transcends all speculation about the cause.
Countries that don't have ethanol or it's not in the grade we use, don't have any cars with the chirps.

At this point, I was simply curious. Just a question.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #2380
Silver86

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

You are one of the lucky few.

Also no where in anything I said that you quoted do I state that its a 100% fix in all cases, but that my experience has been it has fixed everyone I've had use the E0 that I use.

Why are you so desperate to push and argument no one is having?

Last edited by Silver86; 07-22-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Silver86 is offline   Reply With Quote