follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #85
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
What are you even buying when you get the STS setup? $7,000 with a tune an intercooler. And that's without the options.
That would be the 25ft of intercooler pipe, 16 ft of oil feed line, and 16ft of oil return line.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #86
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
That would be the 25ft of intercooler pipe, 16 ft of oil feed line, and 16ft of oil return line.
At least throw a header in the mix. I guess that would take up too much of their unobtanium resource.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #87
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You don't want to list the downsides of a rear mount turbo? @Cross has a prototype STS setup on his.
The biggest pain in the ass I have had is with the intercooler piping but with mine I setup my own so it can be listed as user error.

Right now the car is getting dents removed and paint from damage caused by the glass company but the only boost leak I have had was at the intercooler and it was because the T-Clamp actually doesn't sit behind the flange on the intercooler. The flange is to short and the T-Clamp is to wide.

I have decided to remove all my piping and redo it using the hair spray method and on the intercooler use smaller worm gear clamps so they sit behind the lip on the short flanges it has.

Lag is present, even with how I tried to change it this is going to be present I get into boost around 3-3500rpm where as something like the JDL (Depending on turbo) is going to see boost sooner.

Running a boost controller means either getting on the ground each time or running a ton of vacuum line to use a manual or running a length of wiring down the trans tunnel and using an electronic (My current next modification).

However the car is a total blast to drive I really like it and the sound is really different as the turbo is right there you can hear it as soon as the car starts up and it get's a lot of attention.

One of the AZ86 guys ( @RedLeader ) put a mirror under my car and it got a lot of interest when people could see it. Another pointed out I should pop the hood and offer prizes to those who can spot the turbo.

If I had not gotten the deal I did I have to say as much as I like it I would have gone with a different kit. I have every bolt on made at the time (Now there are spacers I don't have those yet we shall see) and this kit and the car feel's great I love driving it.
But honestly the kit made by Don at Accelerated I believe it is was my first choice. I don't like cramming things in the engine bay that's just me. Yes the STS works great and seems perfect for my uses but at 7k I would have said no. However since it was not hard to do a lot of it myself if a tuner kit is cheaper then I am all for that.
I honestly have not looked at the prices recently though but I swore they were around 3-4k not 7k for the FRS.

However there is one big thing to keep in mind. Most of the STS kits come with Oil Less turbo's, this is a more expensive option but make's like a lot easier without having to run oil lines to the front and back or tap your oil pan or system. That upgrade alone is not cheap and not something you see being offered with any other kits I have seen.
I love my Comp Oil Less turbo and will run them from now on with any project I do.

I just checked the kit is $4495 not $7000..... I can't see them charging 2500 for an intercooler....

However in terms of tuning @moto-mike has done all my tuning and has done an excellent job, if you want an STS Tune he is ready to help you. We are still playing around with mine but it's mainly little things I keep asking about. Mike will take good care of you.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #88
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguirre123 View Post
I would go turbo. With turbo you hit max boost in lower rpm. With supercharger you have to wait till you reach redline.
and this is the exact reason why I wanted to get the Supercharger instead of Turbo hitting the max boost in lower rpm consistently put more stress on engines and some folks (like me) prefer the power on demand (on upper band) when you actually need ..like when in a road course track
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #89
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
@Cross how does the turbo cool without oil? I've never seen a "oil less" turbo. Only a non-watercooled. You have officially peaked my interest.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #90
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
@Cross how does the turbo cool without oil? I've never seen a "oil less" turbo. Only a non-watercooled. You have officially peaked my interest.
coolant cooled sorry out to lunch

Sent from Spaceball 1